Forum Index > Trip Reports > Yakima Peak - 9.24.2006
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostTue Sep 26, 2006 11:13 am 
Sunday morning Denali Girl woke me from my dream of the Washington football team beating UCLA… I know it was a dream because the Huskies were behind 16-0 when my body exploded on Saturday… after getting a late start, the original plan was to drive up to Sunrise and stroll out to Dege Peak; however, we opted to head for Chinook Pass and Yakima Peak because it had been several years since we had last done the hike. This short hike (less than 1000 feet of elevation gain and 2 miles roundtrip) offers outstanding views and solitude in a very crowded place… we could see 5 volcanoes… Adams, Hood, and St. Helens to the south, Rainier to the west, and Baker to the north… for dessert, toss in 5 of the Tatoosh Peaks, the Sunrise Peaks, Goat Rocks, Cowlitz Chimneys, Barrier, Double, Govenors Ridge, Tamanos, Little Tahoma, Ruth, and Naches. We parked on the side of the road at Chinook Pass and started walking toward Yakima Peak… after a short distance we found good boot path (it’s not a maintained trail) that took us to the ridge on the northeast side of Yakima… giving back 100 feet of elevation we dropped down on the north side of Yakima with the intention of going over to the west ridge and using it for the summit access… on our way to the west ridge we saw an obvious gully leading up towards the summit… we abandoned the west ridge idea and used the gully to reach the summit… we made a loop out of this hike by returning via a gully on the south side of Yakima. Our return to the car was delayed some by grazing on the abundant supply of blueberries. Pictures from the Yakima Peak hike. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
johnahl

johnahl
PostTue Sep 26, 2006 1:50 pm 
Great trip and pictures R&R. I especially liked the panorama shot and looking down at Tipsoo Lake and HWY 410. Really cool to scroll through Sunrise point, the buildings at Sunrise, the Burroughs, Goat Island, Panhandle Gap and all the way over for a look at St. Helens. up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message