Forum Index > Photography Talk > Digital Storage
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
blindie

blindie
PostFri May 09, 2003 12:49 pm 
I'm pretty choosy about what I shoot. This comes from years of shooting film. I have noticed that I'm taking bigger chances on shots because I can. I however don't tend to get any benefit from it. It is still the shots that take several minutes to compose that I keep. All my new digital gear and the piece of equipment I value most is my bogen. What is all your favorite piece of equipment?

Blindie
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Larry

Larry
PostFri May 09, 2003 1:47 pm 
blindie wrote:
I'm pretty choosy about what I shoot. This comes from years of shooting film. I have noticed that I'm taking bigger chances on shots because I can. I however don't tend to get any benefit from it. It is still the shots that take several minutes to compose that I keep. All my new digital gear and the piece of equipment I value most is my bogen. What is all your favorite piece of equipment?
My favorite has to be the medium-format Yashica Mat. It constantly reminds me to SLOW DOWN, compose, think, look at what I'm taking a photo of, simplify, move around to find the best view of the subject, and generally keeps me calm and collected.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 7:27 pm 
Newbie is wanting to get another 512 CF card. Iffin you run across a deal or something better than Costco's $119.99 or Buy.coms $123.99 It would be nice of you to let me know. I'm not in a big hurry unless the sale ends soon. Would like to keep it Simple and away from Brooklyn. hehe Not sure if Costco has this price and avail. in store. I'm checkin. Thanks much NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 8:19 pm 
Costco only stocks the 256MB CF cards in-store...the larger capacities are available online through Costco.com. Even then, I think the cards that Costco sells are standard (i.e. slower) speed cards. I'd hit up Pricewatch at http://www.pricewatch.com/ for current prices (the cheapest go for ~$90) or watch DealNews at http://www.dealnews.com/ for decent deals coming down the pipe (just picked up a Kingston 1GB CF card from Dell.com for $155, after $50 rebate). I've been happy with my 30x Transcend 1GB card...Digi4Me had a 512MB Transcend CF card for $116: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/digi4me/tran5130xulp.html Michael

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 2:40 pm 
NN, you can get a 512 MB Viking card from buy.com for $87 ($119 + $5 shipping - $10 coupon - $2 ebate - $25 rebate). The $10 coupon can be found at ebates.com.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 3:20 pm 
Thanks Tom. I'm sure whatever I buy will be cheaper next week. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 3:29 pm 
It's time for me to get a 1Gb CF card. I'm thinking Lexar 32x. I've seen them for $250 or so. Things will always be cheaper right after you buy them.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 3:45 pm 
Believe it or not, memory prices have actually risen. In the spring 512MB of compact flash was selling for around $60.vent.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 4:34 pm 
MichaelB wrote:
Just picked up a Kingston 1GB CF card from Dell.com for $155, after $50 rebate.
My Kingston card came in last week and there's no appreciable difference between performance with it and the Transcend 30x in my Canon S400. Either the card's a decent card or (more than likely) I'm bound by the limits of my camera. Prices may be rising, but there are still cheap cards out there. Best price I can see now on 1GB cards is $188:
Quote:
TOSHIBA 1GB COMPACT FLASH MEMORY CARD TYPE I BULK MFN THNCF1G02MA CF Compact Memory Flash Card 1GB Type I Toshiba Bulk (Part - FLASH-1GB) Price: $ 183 ONLINE ORDER ONLY - Ship 1 : $0.75 - 4.97 FedEx Ground,Ship out Same Day Updated:6/1, 11:39 PM $187.97 Knowledgemicro.com 408-941-8222 408-941-8222 Gov, Edu, Corp POs Accepted
Just bought some memory from these guys. Good deal, no hassles, quick shipment. I'd buy from them again. Michael

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jun 12, 2003 12:36 am 
I shall be joining the G3 club within a week or so biggrin.gif , so I'll be needing a beefy CF card. However, being a broke, starving college student, I'm trying to be as frugal as possible. So...are there any brands I should absolutely avoid, or is just going for the cheapest & biggest the best bet.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jun 12, 2003 12:47 am 
I would avoid Sandisk (non-ultra version) as well as the "never heard of them" brand cards. Viking, Kingston, and Simpletech are inexpensive and work great in the G#. BTW, if you want to try before you buy, I have a G3 you can use (my backup camera).

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Jun 12, 2003 1:23 am 
And if you're both going to be at the social tomorrow evening (tonight), I'll bring along my Powershot S400 and my 1GB Kingston and Transcend CF cards... Let the empirical testing begin! wink.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jun 12, 2003 2:06 am 
No need to try before...I NEED a digital camera, and with a nice chunky check from Merril Lynch sitting in mah dresser, and mah birfday coming up in a couple weeks, I decided it's time to replace the paperweight I've been carrying around for the last 4 years. And the pics on Tom's site are all the convincing I need to go with the G3 (I would go with a DSLR if I had more cash though, but alas, I need a car as well. Ho hum).

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Jun 12, 2003 8:58 am 
Sounds like someone's blowing his trust fund. biggrin.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jun 12, 2003 12:07 pm 
MCaver wrote:
Sounds like someone's blowing his trust fund. biggrin.gif
Let's just call it a pre-pre graudation present. biggrin.gif (Actually, it's an account my Dad set up for college fundage that I've been trying to close out for the last 5 months rant.gif )