Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gunn Peak - 9/24/06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Sep 25, 2006 10:07 pm 
Absurdly nice forecasts in September are ones that are nearly impossible for me to pass up. I opted to couple a short, but sweet stroll up Whitechuck on Saturday with a push up Gunn on Sunday. I had good company with Naturealbeing (NB) and his buddy Steve joining in. NB and Steve had attempted Gunn once before, so they had much of the route to the 5400' saddle dialed in which was nice for me as I could pursue blueberry eating instead of route finding. We rolled in Steve's cool old van up to the starting point just down from the Barclay Lake TH. A spur road heading downhill takes one 100 yards to a fire pit where the way trail heads right through the trees. From here, a couple creek crossings took us to another old road. A left here, and another 100 yards or so, and the trail hooks right through a brief flat before starting a steep uphill grind to the 5400' saddle high above. This map describes the route through the initial trees and creek crossing very well. Use it.
Gettin' Across the Creek
Gettin' Across the Creek
The trail maintains a steep grade, but is well defined up, up and up. There is one intersection at maybe 3800' (didn’t have my altimeter so the elevation may be a bit off) where you want to stay left up the more defined trail. At 4000’ we had to drop about 80' down along a cliff wall to the base of a dry waterfall. We ascended back up the other side up more steep-ass trail.
Steve at the Top of the 80' Drop
Steve at the Top of the 80' Drop
Bootin' at 3000'
Bootin' at 3000'
I kept expecting a brush war to ensue, but it never materialized. As we climbed higher the trail maintained its definition and cut through all the brush making for a most relaxed ascent. Where there looked to be intersections in the trail we just stayed left which proved to be the most defined route. The higher we went the more cliff bands and fun scrambling we encountered which provided a welcome change of pace from the monotonous trail slog.
Working Bands Along The Trail, ~5000'
Working Bands Along The Trail, ~5000'
Around 5200', we got into sweet blueberry swaths and gorged ourselves in preparation for our first views of Gunn from the saddle. The saddle could be considered a destination by itself with tarns, benches, sub-summits, and granite slabs for the exploring.
Upper Benches at 5300'
Upper Benches at 5300'
NB at the 5400' Saddle
NB at the 5400' Saddle
Tarn, Merchant and Point 5760'
Tarn, Merchant and Point 5760'
First Views of Gunn
First Views of Gunn
Fall Color at the Saddle
Fall Color at the Saddle
Heather Roaming
Heather Roaming
From where we gained the saddle, we headed east a bit until we found a combination of gullies that allowed us access to lower benches and the "key" talus field. This meant a drop of about 150' – not ideal from the efficient peakbagger’s perspective, but it seemed necessary at the time. Once down, we followed heather up along cliffs on our left. This got us up to the saddle just east and above Gunn Lake where the scenery and views were so good that Steve decided to stay put and let NB and I finish up with Gunn. We ascended about 300' of talus as we trended from the saddle to the right towards the cliff walls of Gunn. We bumped off the talus as we neared the hidden gully that yields relatively easy access to an upper talus field and the notch between Gunn's two summits. The gully goes about class 3 and was fun and wet when we did it. We went up about 20' to where the gully narrows in a mossy and slimy constriction of sorts then traversed right onto a class 3 corner. Up another 10' or so and we got into trees and roots although the terrain remained somewhat steep. We scratched and pulled our way up another 30', past a rap sling, and we were into the upper talus field. Skirting a few cliffs on our left, we kicked talus up another 200' to the notch and our first views of the infamous ledge system that gives access to the summit. The only snow on the whole damn mountain was on the ledge...surprise, surprise! We dropped 30' down the ledge then skirted across the snow at the exposed lower portion . Another 40' on the ledge brought us to the broader summit area and quick walk up 50' of talus brought us to the summit. We hollered down to Steve who we could see below then got down to business and relaxed on the summit for a solid 90 minutes. Temps were right, views solid, and the cameras clicked. We dug around for the register for a long time, but to no avail - a register chucker beat us to it.
NB Works the Exposed Step Along the Ledge
NB Works the Exposed Step Along the Ledge
NB Enjoys the Summit
NB Enjoys the Summit
Looking Down at NB and the Saddle East of Gunn Lake
Looking Down at NB and the Saddle East of Gunn Lake
5400' Saddle and Point 5760'
5400' Saddle and Point 5760'
Gunn Lake and Beyond
Gunn Lake and Beyond
NB Approaches the Summit
NB Approaches the Summit
Townsend and Beyond
Townsend and Beyond
After our summit lounge, we booted back down and over to the notch. We were up there, so we motored up the east peak as well for a different perspective on the area. Back down the talus, a downclimb of the gully, and a final talus descent brought us back to Steve who was enjoying the warm weather and views. Instead of going back around the east side of Point 5842' we went around to the west which was an easy traverse and ascent on talus and heather benches that easily got us back to the 5400' saddle. On an ascent, I would definitely recommend this route to connect with the talus slope and hidden gully on Gunn.
NB and Steve Traverse Back to the 5400' Saddle
NB and Steve Traverse Back to the 5400' Saddle
Gunn Peak
Gunn Peak
We spent some more time at the saddle relaxing and conversing on granite table tops while enjoying the frequent handful of blueberries. The route out didn’t vary much from the ascent as the trail is the only way to roll through the brush. The last couple weekends in September have always been some of the most memorable mountain trips and this was no exception. NB and Steve were a lot of fun to stomp up a mountain with and I’m looking forward to the next trip with each of them. The anecdotal Gunn stats: 8 miles, 5200' of gain (accumulative per NB), 10 hours

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostTue Sep 26, 2006 10:25 pm 
WOW! What a great day to be on Gunn and sharing the experience with my good friend Steve Fossen on a reload and Randy on a peak we had both been wanting to get off our backs, it was Heaven on Earth. On a side note; I feel so lucky and blessed to have so many incredible people from this forum sharing the trail with me and weaving together so many stories of our experiences that it just overloads my senses with gratitude. Thank you all and you all know who you are. Now back to the show, here's my contribution to Randy's most excellent and I really do mean EXCELLENT Report and pix. Thanks for taking the time and energy to tell the tail of the trip to Gunn Peak. You Rock Dude!
A tarn seen from the summit of Gunn Peak 9.24.06.
A tarn seen from the summit of Gunn Peak 9.24.06.
Take a walk on the Talus side and you to can become a fan. 9.24.06.
Take a walk on the Talus side and you to can become a fan. 9.24.06.
Steve & Randy below saddle, between Pt. 5842 and Pt. 5760. 9.24.06.
Randy, Gulley & Gunn Peak 9.24.06.
Randy, Gulley & Gunn Peak 9.24.06.
Randy on Gunn Peak 9.24.06.
Randy on Gunn Peak 9.24.06.
Randy coming down the gulley 9.24.06.
Randy coming down the gulley 9.24.06.
Gunn N Face V Ramp as seen from just a few feet from the notch 9.24.06.
Gunn N Face V Ramp as seen from just a few feet from the notch 9.24.06.
Gunn Lake as seen from Gunn Peak 9.24.06.
Gunn Lake as seen from Gunn Peak 9.24.06.
Gunn Lake as seen from above the SE end 9.24.06.
Gunn Lake as seen from above the SE end 9.24.06.
Gunn Lake as seen from above the E end 9.24.06.
Gunn Lake as seen from above the E end 9.24.06.
Gunn Peak  Notch Looking Down S 9.24.06.
Gunn Peak Notch Looking Down S 9.24.06.
360 degree view from the summit of Gunn Peak, taken 9.24.06.
89 labels
360 degree view from the summit of Gunn Peak, taken 9.24.06.

Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Sep 26, 2006 10:41 pm 
You all ROCK!! great report and nice pics agree.gif Thanks. I will have to get this one too someday.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Sep 26, 2006 11:14 pm 
Excellent pictures NB, thanks for posting them. Also, thanks again for the outing, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Guiran

Guiran
PostTue Sep 26, 2006 11:22 pm 
Awesome pictures. up.gif Between them and that map, I think Gunn may have to go back on the 'ol list.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Sep 26, 2006 11:52 pm 
Phenomenal...looks like an incredible trip! Thanks for the great pics!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Oren
Grampa Murphy

Oren
Grampa Murphy
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 5:29 am 
Brings back some great memories. TR We didn't have the option of the northern ledge so we had to poke and prod at the south face. Made things interesting. Fun climb. Met Mark also for the first time, so that was way cool. Thanks for the TR you guys. Great pics with the fall color. I still have to get at Merchant. Looking forward to that one.

Long since I've been amongst majestic peaks nor side mirrored lakes where awe so speaks. Blanketed valleys the dawn awakes and blinking stars to fade. My soul is called to see these things, the Hand of God has made.
Don

Don
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 7:49 am 
EXCELLENT TR and pics! up.gif It certainly does bring back some memories. Sounds like a great time!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 9:04 am 
Nice, great pano. up.gif up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 9:57 am 
Shouldn't this TR be in the Gunn thread? clown.gif Nice job fellas banana.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 11:44 am 
You can also tuck in Gunnshy, Tailgunner, and ... oh I forget the name of the other bump up there. makes for nice blueberry hike.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 1:58 pm 
Gunnshy is an attractive peak that I wouldn't mind going back for someday. Might make for a godd 3/4 day trip.

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 2:14 pm 
Nice trip guys! Looks like it was a fun time. Great pics too. up.gif

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 3:34 pm 
Nice bag you guys! Its troubling to hear about the register and the historical records being lost for some reason or another.

Ebrace life!
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 4:05 pm 
dicey wrote:
Shouldn't this TR be in the Gunn thread? clown.gif
Ha! Took me a second...I'm a bit on the slow side today. wink.gif I wouldn't mind more Gunn talk in the forums. "Hikers and Hinters" would be an interesting discussion as well, but I'm guessing only Borank and/or Hikerdan would have anything to contribute to that thread. Hinter's not visited all that often.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short