Forum Index > Trail Talk > Teeth of Larch Campout
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 8:59 am 
Dave we had it in the same area and time last year and it worked great!!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 9:37 am 
No worries on the crowding, this area is so massive that a lot of people can disperse without much problem. Last year there were a fair amount of backroad campers doing their thing... and empty site after empty site all over the place. We crossed the valley and went up Jumpoff Mtn, a 14 mile approach, and back there saw one party the whole way in. For some reason, this area doesn't get the usage I'd expect for some place with so much to explore... I think it's off the radar of the many in the Seattle area. The Entiat/Leavenworth area seems to get *way* more hunters on the backroads for some reason, ya can't swing a cat up on Entiat ridge in Oct without whacking a hunter. Colockum and Swauk/Blewitt also get pretty crowded.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 9:51 am 
Art Not wrote:
Its big country Dave. Biiiig country. All the men around there look like Hoss Cartwright and wear 10 gallon hats. We'll work it out. Are you coming?
Actually, they really only hold about a gallon. No, I'm not going to be there. Opening weekend of deer season and I'll be headed north most likely; more deer up there. Besides, my proximity might spoil an otherwise good time for the rest of you folks, I have a suspicion. Have a good time.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Damian

Damian
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 9:54 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
Actually, they really only hold about a gallon.
Nope. The ones they wear at Bethel hold a full 10 gal. Sorry ya can't make it.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 9:54 am 
Heck Dave we'd love to see you at the get together. In practice, disagreement here on the board is generally overlooked in person as we all find out that in real life, those maniacs on the other side of the screen ain't really so bad. Heck, sluggo and I go at it hammer and tongs sometimes here and we had a great time at last year's gig.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 9:56 am 
Anyhow, what's our headcount now, 10-12? looking like a fun weekend..

Damian

Damian
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 10:03 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Heck Dave we'd love to see you at the get together. In practice, disagreement here on the board is generally overlooked in person as we all find out that in real life, those maniacs on the other side of the screen ain't really so bad.
Excellent point. For anyone having second thoughts due to differing opinions expressed on this board. Things always smooth out at the socials. Think about it. If people were really that bad would they be wasting their time duking it out on a hiking web site? lol.gif Workman- we hope you reconsider!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 10:07 am 
seawallrunner wrote:
so I was idly using Google to find out where in tarnation "Bethal Ridge near Rimrock Lake" is located, and I came across this: Be Careful of Big Smelly Hairy Creatures dizzy.gif
Art Not goofed, it's spelled Bethel Ridge....just find Rimrock and look a couple of miles N.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 1:26 pm 
oh, I looked in my big Washington mapbook (you know the one, red cover, huge pages, nice resolution with all the trails marked in) and foud the ridge it's way past Mt Rainier ... too far away for this Vancouver BC girl frown.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 1:33 pm 
well, yes, kinda. it's about 2.5hrs from Seattle if you go the I90/I82/Hwy12 route. some folks swear by the chinook or white pass routes, but i've never had anything but problems in terms of making time on those, in one you pokey poke through the park at 40 behind a line of hunters, in the other you're stuck going through randle and all that. we'd love to see you though! really nice country

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 3:00 pm 
Art Not wrote:
Workman- we hope you reconsider!
Any mule deer bucks up there? I'd be bringing a rifle, you know. But don't be broken hearted if I don't show smile.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 3:51 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
Art Not wrote:
Workman- we hope you reconsider!
Any mule deer bucks up there? I'd be bringing a rifle, you know. But don't be broken hearted if I don't show smile.gif
oh boy.. the muleys in that area are sweet.. not sure what the regulations are as far was what and where you can shoot. If my hubbys hunting season is truly over the 13th (so he says)..then I have the 14th and 15th that I can escape. Was going to shanghai Sluggman in the enchantments, but I think I can be persuaded to attend this gala affair instead...last year rocked!

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 4:00 pm 
yay, betty and the tazster! randy, that means you have to walk the talk now...beave where you at? this years larch social looks like it is going to be a rager!

Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 4:06 pm 
I did not say I can go yet! Kidding. I just reschedualed my climbing trip 10 minutes ago and I can now make it! chickenleg.gif chickenleg.gif chickenleg.gif Oh Raaaandy....where arrrrre yooooou?

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 4:07 pm 
Okay, let me clear it with the wife embarassedlaugh.gif