Forum Index > Trip Reports > Black and Blue
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
plain old dan

plain old dan
PostSun Oct 01, 2006 10:46 am 
9/27-9/28 It seemed liked a good time to go golden larch hunting up near Washington Pass so I started out early up Heather Pass. I took the boot path and scree fields to Wing lake.
wing_1
wing_1
wing_3
wing_3
I setup camp at Wing lake then proceed up Black mountain.
black_peak1
black_peak1
There was lot's of scree and bouldery gullies. At the summit block I turned around not wanting to scramble the final section. View of Silent Lakes.
silent_lakes
silent_lakes
Back at Wing lake I was setting up my tripod to capture some fall colors across the lake when a guy came up over the ridge into my frame. Crap! I decided to wait him out because I was liking my setup. He proceed to strip off his clothes and jumps into the water. Then his female companion pops into view and also strips down. I'm all the way across the lake so they don't see me. I want to give them their privacy but I have nowhere really to go. To get back to my campsite would require going towards them. So I wait until they dried off then proceed back to camp. Never did get that shot without them in it. I took this with them in but photoshopped them out - hey they walked into my scene... hockeygrin.gif
wing_2b
wing_2b
More Wing Lake pics
wing_6
wing_6
wing_4
wing_4
wing_5
wing_5
Ancient Larch Tree near camp
ancient_larch3
ancient_larch3
Sunrise
wing_7
wing_7
larchs1
larchs1
The next day I headed out via Maple pass to complete the loop. Very nice ridge hiking. Back at the car it was still early so I headed over to Blue Lake trailhead and up the short trail.
spires
spires
blue_lake1
blue_lake1
blue_lake2
blue_lake2

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSun Oct 01, 2006 12:26 pm 
Fantastic shots. I love that hike. But what's wrong with people in your shot? I think it adds some perspective. Although maybe in this case a little too much perspective... biggrin.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 12:58 am 
Foist wrote:
But what's wrong with people in your shot?
Speshully nekkid ones! wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 8:47 am 
Great pics and TR.... next time leave the photoshop alone.. I like the real deal winksmile.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
plain old dan

plain old dan
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 9:12 am 
Use your imagination... wink.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 10:48 am 
Mania wrote:
Use your imagination... wink.gif
Now that could get freaky winksmile.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 11:07 am 
wing_5 is especially nice but I can't shake this feeling that there's just something missing from that photo smile.gif

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 12:03 pm 
Very nice Mania! up.gif I've never been up there overnight, but it looks like you got some nice lighting. That area is gorgeous when larches are in their prime, I love strolling through the larches between Lewis & Wing. What kind of crazy person would jump into a freezing lake like that? And for the record I was elsewhere last week! winksmile.gif Karen

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 6:58 pm 
Ohhhh! That wonderful Wing Lake
Thank you Mania! The photos are fine. Only time I ever went to Wing was during larch season. There are some icy places near the beginning of the off-trail hike. Did you have ice or frost? I am so glad you got in there, company or not...and, glad you omitted goosebumped butts. p.s., I did something like that at Blue Lake, once upon a time ago. Froze my toosh. Never did do the easy ridge traverse back toward Liberty Bells.

hikermike

hikermike
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 11:35 pm 
When people have dived in MY lake nekkid, I just ignor them and go about my business, after all it's their decision and I don't have to live by it and won't be chased off by such a thing.

plain old dan

plain old dan
PostTue Oct 03, 2006 10:28 am 
Spotly, actually wing_2b was modified... I bet those that can find wing_2 would wonder about the fuss. dizzy.gif Karen, did I mention those telephoto pic's I have of upper Blum lake? Sabahsbay, no ice or frost - actually it was pretty warm... in fact one of the warmest nights i've had in the mountains all year long! It was very strange... perfectly calm at sunset and sunrise but I got woken up several times in the middle of the night with these incredible wind gusts that just came and left, then it would be calm again. paranoid.gif hikermike, where is your lake? I wasn't chased off but they obviously thought they were alone as I was fairly far away. I let them have their swim in peace... cool.gif

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostTue Oct 03, 2006 12:10 pm 
Mania wrote:
Karen, did I mention those telephoto pic's I have of upper Blum lake?
Your pack wasn't that big, I highly doubt you were packing a fast enough lens to capture anything, that lake was pretty chilly! lol.gif

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm