Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ladies peak (point 7708) and cape horn -9-30-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostTue Oct 03, 2006 12:42 am 
Ladies peak (point 7708) and cape horn -9-30-06 The views from the top were excellent, the route finding straightforward(obvious) and the travel was easy - only class 2 for short stretches. This trip did not feel as hard as the numbers, ~15 miles 7300' gain. Maybe it was because the trail was mostly well behaved or the off-trail sections were mostly easy class 2 and very short as a percentage of the trip. maybe it was the pleasure of each other's company or the good weather or all the above. We started off at the new chatter creek trailhead. There is no sign at the road, watch carefully. I had it as a little less than 8 miles past the eightmile campground on the icicle creek road. We followed the easy trail to edna lake, where we re-filled our water and ran into some of my buddy's friends who had just returned from ladies peak. What a coincidence, I doubt a lot of other people visit it. they had done this as a two day trip and camped at edna lake. We then hopped up and over to ladies pass. From ladies pass, we headed up the obvious se ridge, staying mostly on the ridge until we took the easy terrain climbers left and then around the back side to ascend the last few feet to the summit. Great views, no summit register found. The winds, 20-35mph at the top and along the ridge traverse, shortened our summit stay and got us rolling back down to ladies pass. on the way back down, we could not help but look over at cape horn. It was not on our original agenda, but this trip was going so smooth and easily, that we started looking at potential routes. When we got to a notch
notch on cape horn's north side
notch on cape horn's north side
near the most western end of the switchbacks on cape horn's north side, at ~7000', we took off straight up the easy, but steep, class 2 ridge to its summit, where we stopped briefly, did not find register and soaked up some views (I should not have left my camera with the packs down below at the notch. We retraced our steps back and returned to cars 9 hours later quite pleased and ready for dinner at the 59er diner.
cape horn
cape horn
lake edna and cape horn
lake edna and cape horn
looking from ladies peak's summit down the ridge route to cape horn
looking from ladies peak's summit down the ridge route to cape horn
baring in a sea of clouds from ladies peak's summit
baring in a sea of clouds from ladies peak's summit
daniel from ladies peak's summit
daniel from ladies peak's summit
ladies peak's easy ridge route
ladies peak's easy ridge route

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Oct 03, 2006 9:37 am 
up.gif Chatter Creek always seems like a nice trail going up, but coming down it seems to pound the knees and take forever getting back, the colors should be awesome right now. agree.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 9:58 am 
Thanks for the TR. looks like this would be a great spring trip. Right AB wink.gif ?