Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantment Lakes, 09/29 - 10/2/06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Canuck

Canuck
PostFri Oct 06, 2006 8:57 am 
Perfect trip, it sounds like. Leprechaun is my favorite lake there, too, especially with the larches glowing all around. Tamster & I are already planning our trip there next year! And thanks for posting the rebar shots - I was trying to explain to Tamster why I didn't want to be in that particular spot in slippery conditions... now she understands why! I think in my mind I've made it worse than it really was, but I remember of the entire trip, it was that section there from Vivianne to Leprechaun that was the hairest for me! I'm glad you had perfect weather & perfect trees!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fettster

fettster
PostWed May 09, 2007 11:38 am 
Opus, Funny, we have the same dates for 2007 you had last year. It looks stunning, I hope the weather works out for us like it looks like it did for you. Do you have some more details on the recommended camp areas for decent shelter? You can send me a PM if you want. -Fettster

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed May 09, 2007 1:51 pm 
The better campsites are in the lower Enchantments. We made the mistake of snagging something right away by Tranquility lake before even looking lower. Way up there the larch are few and far between, and most are only shoulder high. Very windy. There were a few smaller sites that had some rock sheltering though. If you push on further down by the stream and little lakelets past Isolation lake that's where the good sites begin. Bigger larch and better sheltering. Good sites are plentiful in the lower Enchantments. My favorite was the site we had at Leprechaun. Wherever you camp though, I'd recommend bringing a sturdy tent and some guylines.

fettster

fettster
PostMon May 14, 2007 9:34 pm 
Thanks for the input Opus. Looking at a map the suggestion makes sense. Do you know generally where the camp sites are for Colchuck Lake?

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon May 14, 2007 9:42 pm 
Pretty sure that anywhere on Colchuck is nice. If you are planning on going over Asgard Pass it might be of interest to go left when you hit the lake in the direction of Asgard Pass itself to save retracing steps later. It's a relatively round lake that looks from left to right if I remeber correctly: Asgard Pass Colchuck Peak Dragontail Peak

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon May 14, 2007 11:12 pm 
When we reached the lake we circled around to the right. There were campsites, and I believe a box toilet, at the end opposite Aasgard. I remember seeing scattered campsites around the lake shore. There was one or two right at the base of Aasgard as well.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 15, 2007 1:15 am 
Layback wrote:
Pretty sure that anywhere on Colchuck is nice. If you are planning on going over Asgard Pass it might be of interest to go left when you hit the lake in the direction of Asgard Pass itself to save retracing steps later.
Huh? The trail is on the right side of the lake when you hit it. The left side would be brutal, and offers no camping that I'm aware of.
Quote:
It's a relatively round lake that looks from left to right if I remeber correctly: Asgard Pass Colchuck Peak Dragontail Peak
Topo map

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostTue May 15, 2007 7:47 am 
Thanks for clarifying. Never been up Asgard Pass. Have only ascended the Snow gully on Colchuck. Glad you were there to clear it up. up.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostTue May 15, 2007 9:18 am 
Here's a pic from about 1/3 up Asgaard Pass so you can get a feel for the camp sites. The trail comes in at the far end of the lake and wraps around the left side as we are viewing it from here. As Tom mentioned, the other side of the lake is almost impossible as the rock cliffs almost run down to the water's edge. Several nice camp sites about 2/3's the way along the lake. If you go thru the boulder field to get closer to Asgaard the next morning, there are a few campsites directly below from where this picture was taken, close to the water. Basically, dead center in this picture just to the right of that group of trees near the water. If it was me, I'd try from one before the boulder field. More light, plus you get to look at Asgaard for a few more hours. smile.gif
asgaard pass partway
asgaard pass partway

Popcorn

Popcorn
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 5:56 pm 
Way back in Labor Day, 1976, a buddy and I hiked up Aasgard Pass and down the Snow Lake route. Our first camp was at the first lake you come to once you crest Aasgard Pass. Does anyone know what that lake is called these days? The new naming system baffles me totally.

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 6:37 pm 
We were up there this year. I believe you are refering to the lake called Brynhild by the Starks or Isolation on maps.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
reststep

reststep
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 7:38 pm 
Yes or it could be that lake right there where you came over the top which is I believe the actual pass. I can't remember the name of it and I don't have a map handy. Edit: It is in your trip report. The one I was thinking of is Freya (Tranquil)

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Popcorn

Popcorn
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 9:55 pm 
Thanks, so much, S A-D! I couldn't find my old 15' "Mt Stuart" topo, and I have an old print I made of an old slide. In the "old days," I carried a heavy Japanese SLR, and lots of equally heavy lenses and rolls of Kodachrome II slide film. One of these days, I'd like to convert some of those slides to jpegs. I'm really in awe of the photos that are posted on this site. The almost immediate turn-around time is truly incredible. nwhikers.net has revolutionized TRs.

NorthStar99
Dain Bramage

NorthStar99
Dain Bramage
PostTue Sep 09, 2008 5:26 pm 
Enchantments last weekend of September 2006
I was there the same weekend with my 14-yo daughter (who whined absolutely none at all, compared to me, who bitched and moaned all the way up the loooooooooooooong Snow Lakes trail LOL) It WAS absolutely fabulous weather that weekend, wasn't it? It was our very first time there, and we were hood-winked into the crazy-long Snow Creek approach by a VERY biased write-up in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness edition of the "100 Hikes" guidebook (100 Hikes, you guys suck!) Absolutely beat us flat on the way down. Not to mention up. But yes, it was amazing and spectacular and just over the top in every way - even these pictures as good as they are don't do it justice! Superb!!!! eek.gif My daughter and I are going to do it again this year (via Aasgard, NOT Snow Lakes), and take an extra day in the upper basins to enjoy it more thoroughly. And BTW - if you can avoid hiking down from lake Vivian to Snow Lakes in the dark with nothing more than a couple cheesy flashlights, please DO - it is one hairy scary fumble back down w/o proper lighting! paranoid.gif

Remember, it's not the fall that kills you - it's the sudden stop at the bottom.
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Sep 09, 2008 6:25 pm 
Re: Enchantments last weekend of September 2006
NorthStar99 wrote:
we were hood-winked into the crazy-long Snow Creek approach by a VERY biased write-up in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness edition of the "100 Hikes" guidebook
Heh, I think I have that same guidebook which suggests the Snow Lk. approach. The 1st yr. we hiked out via Snow & it was very long & boring. The next yr. we went in/out via Asgaard & I definitely recommended that over Snow. However, you may wanna bring some ibuprofin for your knees after descending that pass. Mine hurt for a wk. stun.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.