Forum Index > Trail Talk > Training - fighting gravity
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 10:18 pm 
Damian - let me know when it's ready! And then maybe we can drag a good massage therapist along, too!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 10:26 pm 
Damian, I don't think there is anything outlawing hottubs in wilderness areas, unless of course they are motorized. Something tells me your heating system involves flint. wink.gif

Steve F.

Steve F.
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 11:05 pm 
Don't think you have to go uphill to train. If you get out hiking every weekend (for the hiking muscles), and get any kind of aerobic exercise during the week (for the cardiovascular), it should be enough. Of course, keep active in the winter (snowshoeing -- the winter hiking fix). Having said that, I've become a weekend-only exerciser except for an occasional midweek run, for the past few years. But still keeping up with outdoor partners, even at twice the age of some of this crowd (lucky blue jeans?) and the knees are holding up fine if I bring my cane.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 12:22 am 
To train for altitude, hit the cardio. Sprint up the Tiger Mtn Cable Line or something, or go light up Si and try to get it down to 1:30 to the top. My prep for the Volcanoes last year was Tiger every Sunday with 40-60lbs for 5 months. It is a great workout, and gets the veins a pumping! Even going light up that trail can be a challenge if you can get it under 45 minutes one way (up) For winter conditioning I turn to my Pilchuck. Keeps my glacier skills tested each time - ice axe arrest, belaying, glissading 101, and snow camping. Snowshoeeing is a great workout as well. We did a hike up fresh powder last weekend up Denny Creek to the base of Hemlock Pass, and I rarely get sore anymore, but I felt the buren after breaking trail in WET SNOW. Now thats a good workout! Hope this helps! There's always the Body Results thing Click Here

salish

salish
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 7:17 am 
At 48, most if not ALL of my life's injuries are coming back to haunt me in one form or another. It makes if difficult to exercise sometimes. I commute to work by bicycle year round, from North Seattle Communiity College area to Montlake & I-520, and in the summer months I often hike to work with a pack getting ready for a hike. It's just about 4.7 miles each way and a gradual uphill on the way home. It's helpful to dicipline myself by realizing I won't be home in 20-30 minutes if I'm hiking. I also work out in a rehab gym at least three nights a week, on cardiovascular and strength exercises. I do this to keep a badly herniated disc in my back from getting worse and requiring surgery, as well as trying to keep a weird respiratory problem and asthma from getting the best of me. So, my workouts aren't so much to become a well conditioned athlete, as it is to maintain the status quo and be able to hike. It works..... Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

PostWed Jan 30, 2002 8:33 am 
Interesting comments from all. Cliff, I think that's the key. Whatever works and keeps you as healthy as possible is the way. I word of warning to those labelled as indestructable: I was called that more than once. I never had an injury until age 47. Now after two arthroscopic surgeries in past year I'm starting to crank up my training again. Living in Edmonds, Si and Tiger are too far for routine daily workouts, but there are plenty of hills around to run and stairs to climb. I feel for those in their 20's and 30's with injuries that can keep them from doing what they love. It's the pits.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 8:59 am 
Thanks for the link to Training Time. Kinda got me pumped up. A while back I purchased a Mountaineers book on outdoor fitness. Covered a lot of activities. I was using it for a bit and then quite. Seemed like it was taking too much time. I'm digging it out again and start putting it to use. I see they have a fitness for over 50. May have to check it out. CONDITIONING FOR OUTDOOR FITNESS: A Comprehensive Training Guide David Musnick STAYING FIT OVER 50: Conditioning for Outdoor Activities Jim Sloan Thanks, NN:)

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tsolo

Tsolo
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 9:12 am 
A couple thoughts -- It's not all downhill in life, physically speaking. I used to hike relatively infrequently and get sore knees and ankles when I did. Now, with more time available, I do much more frequent hiking, and the problems have gone away. I think using trekking poles helped a lot too. Take that Glucosamine/Chondroitin stuff regularly. An orthopedic doctor once told me that it's really effective for maintaining joints and cartilege. (He said they should put it in the water... ) Don't forget Ibuprophen. I take it before and after, sometimes during.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 12:11 pm 
Is it advisable to take ibuprofen "during"? I strained my back once because I took ibuprofen to kill the pain. Sometimes I think it's good to listen to your body to keep from overdoing it.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 12:45 pm 
I do stairstepper here at work. But I don’t really need to. I am genetically engineered to kick all your arses. moon.gif The only drug I take is Tylenol PM when I am on a multiple day trip. It seems to help out the muscles in the morning. I learned this trick from one of those “original” backcountry lake replenishment dudes. moon.gif

Art is an adventure.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 12:47 pm 
Tom. When I do the STP in a day or the RAMROD I take ibuprofen before the rides. You have to be quite diligent about hydration though as it can insult your kidneys if you are dry. It helps lessen the muscle aches for me.

PostWed Jan 30, 2002 12:59 pm 
Stairstepper, Stefan? Really? They have those at Livingwell Lady don't they? biggrin.gif clown.gif biggrin.gif clown.gif

Whiskeydick

Whiskeydick
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 2:45 pm 
I run up Whiskey Dick Mtn. every morning, then in the eveningI walk through the sagebrush to Coyote Flat.

S-P-D

S-P-D
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 4:28 pm 
Hey Scott! How about 33 minutes up the cable line and 62 minutes to the top of the Haystack? Are those good times? paranoid.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 5:00 pm 
Hey Whiskeydick, you lucky dog you, living such a nice spot. You aware of the archeaology sites near you? I have a map showing a horse track and corral used by natives near Whiskeydick, and numerous petroglyph sites on the Quilomene side. Ever looked for these sites?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers