Forum Index > Trail Talk > Training - fighting gravity
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 5:38 pm 
Quote:
I am genetically engineered to kick all your arses.
Stefan, I just know you aren't talking about me with this.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 5:59 pm 
yawn.gif Maybe you speed demons should have a competition and race up Si or Tiger or something.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 6:02 pm 
Pappy, I have a 100 yard restraining order from coming near any Living Well Lady. They didn’t like it when I parked in front of their locations eating Big Macs and watching those “peaks” go up and down, up and down, up and down,….. agree.gif Mike you are like my long lost brother!! We have the same genes!!!

Art is an adventure.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 6:59 pm 
Tom, Ibuprofen (Vitamin I) is not a pain reliever. That is why it's better to take during than Tylenol. Vitamin I is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory dealie (NSAID) and reduces inflammation, which allows injured muscles to heal. That's why if you have an injury, it sometimes helps to take a 'course' of it (I usually do 600-800 mg 3x/day for 3-4 days). What happens is the muscle stays uninflamed for a sustained period, which allows the healing to begin. Tylenol relieves pain. If you've got an injury that's both painful and inflamed, they can be taken together to treat both. It's hard on your kidneys, but it works. Stefan, you are a freak. agree.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 7:23 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I do stairstepper here at work. But I don’t really need to. I am genetically engineered to kick all your arses.
I knew something good would come of genetic engineering. Now everone's right foot will be longer than their left foot. This reminds me of how you catch a polarbear. 1. Cut a hole in the ice 2. Sprinkle peas around the hole 3. When the polarbear comes up to take a pea, kick him in the icehole.

Tsolo

Tsolo
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 8:34 pm 
We’re kind of wandering into a different topic here, but since Allison seems knowledgeable regarding NSIADs, let me ask an appropriate question. Here’s a medical quote: NSAIDs are used to treat pain in a number of medical conditions, and are also used to treat inflammation, which often produces or worsens pain by causing stiffness and swelling. Some NSAIDs are available "over the counter": aspirin, low dose (200 mg) ibuprofen (Advil®, Motrin®, Nuprin®, etc), and low dose naproxen (Aleve®, etc). Other NSAIDs are only available with a doctor's prescription. Here’s the question: Does anyone know if there’s any advantages of ibuprofen over naproxen, or vice versa, from a hiker’s perspective?

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 9:44 pm 
For our purposes ibuprofen and naproxen can be considered basically interchangeable. The only functional difference is that a therapeutic dose of ibuprofen is taken 3x per day and naproxen is taken 2x per day.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 1:52 pm 
Brian is right. Pretty much interchangable. I take Vitamin I because I cannot tolerate Naproxen. People with touchy GI systems can expect to have trouble tolerating either in high doses. I have to eat with Vitamin I, or it messes with my touchy GI system. eek.gif PS. I am very much not convinced that NSAIDs (Ibu in particular) do nothing for pain. That's my experience anyway.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 2:23 pm 
Ibuprofin got me out of the hills once. We were hiking in the spring in the SW portion of ONP. I stepped off a log onto a snow patch that covered a bare cedar log at the perfect angle to make my feet go right out from under me. I fell with my side hitting a 6 inch spike of tree and breaking a rib. I took some ibuprofin and hiked out with a tolerable pain in my side. I figured it wasn't too bad. Until the ibuprofin started wearing off during the drive home. I couldn't breath without pain. That's when I realized just how amazing ibuprofin is.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch

PostThu Jan 31, 2002 3:13 pm 
That's amazing Brian. and another testimony......... I woke up a few nights after my first knee surgery and it was screaming! I was already on codine but it was not doing it . Doc told me to take 800 IB or Naproxin. Calmed it right down.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 4:02 pm 
Those are great testimonials. If codeine (pain killer) wasn't cutting it, and Ibu did, I still think it might have been the pain caused by the inflammation.... And BTW, isn't the 'post-surgery night pain' the most insane worst pain you've ever felt? The first night after my ankle surgery I took big dodes of Ibu, Percocet, and the Big Daddy, Dilaudid, to absolutely no effect. Didn't even get buzzed. Morning came around, and the pain became maneageable again. Weird.

salish

salish
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 4:22 pm 
Another vote for - either, here. I seem to stick with Aleve (naproxin) because I can take it less often. Went to the knee Doc the other day at UW Sports and he suggested either. I became kind of an ibuprofen junkie a couple of years ago at the height of my bad back problems (herniated disc) but I've weaned myself off all meds completely since then. I use naproxin sparingly and only when I really need it. I have to admit that I do sometimes carry a few of those smuggled Canadian "222's" in my pack. Sort of cheap insurance if the naproxin doesn't work in case of a particularly bad back episode. My wife and younger daughter are like Allison in that their systems cannot only not tolerate naproxin, but they have aother allergic reactions. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.