Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > USFS forest road deterioration article
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Guiran

Guiran
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 2:46 pm 
I would rather see a smaller, better maintained road network that serves all forest users, rather than a large road network navigatable only by users with high clearance vehicles. Since I only hike on the weekends and would only need a high clearance vehicle for a small fraction of the trips I take, I have a really hard time justifying the additional cost and fuel consumption. However, I don't necessarily see why unmaintained spur roads should be gated unless there is a compelling law-enforcement arguement for limiting the mileage of backcountry roads or there is a concern that bootleg repairs would cause significant (and who knows how to define that) environmental damage. If all roads will remain open, but only a small portion will be maintained from the FS budget, I still don't know what a reasonble criteria is for determining which roads "deserve" maintenance dollars.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 2:51 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
In answer to Quark: I have no problem at all with paying USFS employees a decent wage. Perhaps you misinterpreted what I meant by "Hmmmmmmm."
No, I misinterpreted it because you lumped employee wages and benefits in with wasted dollars. Usually it's more clear in an argument to list wasted dollars and necessary op dollars separately. johnal pointed out perhaps too many employees are present in the FS, and that could be true.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 2:56 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Quote:
I say this as a hiker who'd rather not drive deteriorated car-destroying roads to get to a trailhead anyway.
I appreciate that..but I'm not certain of the argument this comment supports. Roads should be better maintained? You need a truck not a car? Please elaborate if you would.
My argument there is: I think you characterized the FS closing a road as a narrow idealistic action, ignoring the public will. So as a counter-example I presented myself as a representative member of the public who might actually get a benefit from the closure. What benefit, perhaps you ask? This: I think for many/most hikers, the "effective trailhead", the place where an enjoyable hike can start, is wherever the cars stop, wherever you can start walking without cars driving by. So if the rough road is closed, it becomes an "effective trail" (a place one can walk without cars going by), and the "rough road avoiding" public gets the benefit of readily drivable access to the "effective trailhead" at the closure point. If the rough road is open, then the "effective trailhead" is at the end of it, and only "rough road enthusiasts", not "rough road avoiders", have access to it. BTW, actually I have a truck, a fact even I sometimes forget while I'm arguing the interests of rough road avoiders (which I am, even though I have the truck). I guess RRE/RRA is really a more accurate distinction than HCV/LCV.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 2:58 pm 
Quark: Actually, you've got that a bit wrong. My list included what some might consider wastes and others might consider necessities.. Trails? You guys answer that one. Campgrounds? Doesn't look that way. Roads? Surely you jest (unless speaking of that boondoggle they're going to perform on the MFK Road.) Salaries and benefits? Hmmmmm Forest fire fighting? Pretty sure of that, but the reported costs seem sometimes far in excess of what costs ought to be. Trails: I left that up to the forum to answer, because I've seen some great improvements on some trails, while others have gone straight to hell. Campgrounds: Subjective, because in other regions, campgrounds are getting spruced up, if only for the purpose of charging fees. Roads: There's the clinker.. Salaries and benefits: we're on that subject now Fires: Damn right I think paying for fire fighting, but the announced costs seem a little on the high side to me, because I don't understand what they could be spending a gazillion dollars on.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 3:08 pm 
Guiran wrote:
or there is a concern that bootleg repairs would cause significant (and who knows how to define that) environmental damage..
defining environmental damage is quite costly and should be added to the list of costly things the FS does (by mandate). Fisheries people had held up the Downey Creek bridge, audubon people and N Cascades Conservation had held up the repairs to the Mtn Loop, and there are scores of other examples of projects held up or being scrapped due to special interests.
Guiran wrote:
If all roads will remain open, but only a small portion will be maintained from the FS budget, I still don't know what a reasonble criteria is for determining which roads "deserve" maintenance dollars.
Money is probably the biggest issue; but some of it is democracy, as in special interest groups such as grizzly advocates. Someone reports seeing a one-legged ivory-billed albino snowy grizzly and you can bet roads and trails will snap shut right and left - and it's not the FS who made the decision to do it. Even if no one has even seen said grizzly, but the habitat is proven to support said grizzly. Or it could be a combination of the above. I agree with MtnGoat that no one needs to justify why they want a road to remain open; but I don't agree that they're closing the roads to purposely prohibit access. It's just not that devious. Largely, I think, it's money. Daddy Warbucks don't give out as much allowance as he used to. Rather than asking for more, perhaps it can be more wisely spent. But it would cost millions to have the dollars audited and a plan put into place. One could say that about any governmental agency or private industry.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 3:31 pm 
I think it's pretty pathetic when people speak of the needs of the handicaped and the elderly as an excuse for keeping a road or place open when it's entirely too obvious that the person speaking merely wants it open for their own personal use. Call it what it is, and don't insult old folks or handicapped folks by attempting to use them as pawns in bolstering your argument.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
aestivate

aestivate
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 4:23 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
USFS has over time become populated with folks at all levels who will use any means to keep anything but foot traffic off our land and who do not seem to understand their positions do not exist to serve one narrow environmental interpretation of land usage.
Hahah, Mtn Goat, you *really* do not know the FS. Or you have gotten a peculiar impression from the oddity of the upper Middle Fork road. In general, the FS do not like to let go of roads. If they had the money to maintain them, they would. Fortunately, they don't, and they can't.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 4:25 pm 
But Marylou, if not for the elderly and infirm, do it for the CHILDREN... Personally, I think the elderly and infirm are a good enough reason. agree.gif And I'll submit that a crappy, rocky road is a piss poor substitute for a trail. If you can't drive it in your car, buy a truck or borrow a friend's vehicle. If you can't afford a high-clearance vehicle and/or don't have any friends, better get out and start walking. hockeygrin.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 4:32 pm 
Quark said:
Quote:
I agree with MtnGoat that no one needs to justify why they want a road to remain open; but I don't agree that they're closing the roads to purposely prohibit access. It's just not that devious
Sorry. If observation of deliberately torn up roads weren't enough, you can refer to their statements of purpose, "We closed that section of road because people were driving up there at night and tossing out beercans". That's a real quote, Quark. I've talked to a lot of land management people and gotten a fair number of variations on that response. ....... Never a proposal to take any other sort of action: don't try to stop the miscreants; don't ask for volunteers to pick up the beercans; just close the road and forget about it. Then there's my favorite, from a DNR Chief Engineer, "We're going to tear up the roads in that area because the money to do it is in the budget"!!!! .............................. banghead.gif David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 4:37 pm 
I've got to say some of this cracks me up, i mean it's lousy some screwheads toss beer cans off the road, but it's kinda funny to build a logging road to enable a clearcut of xx acres.. and then find the damage from some beer cans beyond the pale.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 5:14 pm 
Getting back to important stuff (what I said) for a minute... bawl.gif
Dave Workman wrote:
Conrad, this may come as something of a news flash, but hikers don't own the national forest exclusively...
Conrad wrote:
...I didn't claim "hikers own the national forest"...
Dave Workman wrote:
Conrad, nobody, including me, said you specifically claimed hikers owned the national forests.
confused.gif What's the distinction? "Claimed", or maybe "specifically"? OK, my mistake, I'll amend "I didn't claim" to "I never thought hikers owned..." You certainly suggested that I thought hikers owned the NF, since I needed a "news flash" to disabuse me.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 5:42 pm 
ditto.gif Perhaps the most absurd example I ever heard of was Meadow Mountain in the 70's. There used to be a perfectably acceptable though steep trail from the Whitechuck. The FS then justified a timber sale up there by saying the road necessitated by the sale would increase recerational opportunities. The road reduced the hike to the ridge to about a mile and a few hundred feet of elevation gain. The result was the area became a haven for nere do wells and partyers and the meadows became overused. The solution was to close the road to cars. Hardly anyone goes there now as you first must hike 4 mi. or so through clearcuts to the new old "trailhead".The original trail head was abandoned and is now a class 5 bushwack.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 6:18 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I've got to say some of this cracks me up, i mean it's lousy some screwheads toss beer cans off the road, but it's kinda funny to build a logging road to enable a clearcut of xx acres.. and then find the damage from some beer cans beyond the pale.
Of course they need to build roads to log, and yes, those areas are inherently ugly once logged. The FS was created to make ugly roads to extract logs. It's not anyone's fault it's a fairly ugly process - logging roads never were National Scenic Byways, and weren't meant to be. The FS was not created to pick up broken toys after brats finish drinking from them.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 6:38 pm 
marylou wrote:
I think it's pretty pathetic when people speak of the needs of the handicaped and the elderly as an excuse for keeping a road or place open when it's entirely too obvious that the person speaking merely wants it open for their own personal use.
Now you're clairvoyant? Then you can certainly tell what I think about this analysis. It really is important to provide access opportunities for disabled persons and older people, because it's their land, too. It is, perhaps, equally pathetic when people speak of closing roads for the greater good, when it is entirely too obvious that the person speaking merely wants to close off more public land just for their own personal use.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 6:45 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
It is, perhaps, equally pathetic when people speak of closing roads for the greater good, when it is entirely too obvious that the person speaking merely wants to close off more public land just for their own personal use.
up.gif up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short