Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > USFS forest road deterioration article
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 6:51 pm 
The concept of 'preserving the natural legacy' puts preservation above recreation. Even I know that, and I grew up on timber money. rolleyes.gif This is a fat stinkin' truckload of crap:
Quote:
It is, perhaps, equally pathetic when people speak of closing roads for the greater good, when it is entirely too obvious that the person speaking merely wants to close off more public land just for their own personal use.
I'd assume cynically spoken from the perspective that nothing in this world is done for the 'greater good'. rolleyes.gif Wrong!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 7:12 pm 
And now to continue Dave's discussion of my elitism:
Dave Workman wrote:
Your evident willingness to give up maintenance of existing roads in favor of spending more money on trails suggests you think public access might be better limited to the public that puts on hiking boots and a backpack and travels on foot. Perhaps that's what I am saying, and that philosophy does seem a bit elitist, like it or not.
Dave, I think you're losing the distinction between "some" and "all". If I wanted to give up all the roads, so only hikers used the lands, that would be elitist. I might in fact want to close some roads. And spend more money on trails. If, say, the road were benefitting relatively few, of the relatively rich, and lots more people, from a wider income range, would enjoy the new trails. I don't think that philosopy is elitist. In fact, I think maintaining that road would be more elitist.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 7:22 pm 
Take this thread with these few people and this wide range of opinions and delivery panache, for lack of other words to call it - multiply it by thousands (or six, depending upon if you're at a public hearing concerning Arizona or one in western Washington), and that's what the FS has to deal with everyday; even within their own organization. No wonder it's a screwed up operation.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 7:43 pm 
Yeah, but back to Dave hurting my feelings: bawl.gif bawl.gif
Dave Workman wrote:
Conrad seems determined to make it some kind of crime to criticize the closing of a road.
That's exactly backwards. I never attacked anyone for arguing against the road closure. My original post in this thread didn't attack MtnGoat's position on the closure; I questioned his characterization of the FS, which by no stretch was I making it a "crime" even for him to characterize the FS, let alone making it a crime to argue against the closure itself. On the contrary, Dave, you made it the "crime" of elitism for me to present an argument which favored closing the road.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 7:45 pm 
marylou wrote:
This is a fat stinkin' truckload of crap:
Couldn't find a nicer way to put it, 'eh? I'll loan you my thesaurus at the next social. hockeygrin.gif
Conrad wrote:
And now to continue Dave's discussion of my elitism:
Conrad wrote:
Yeah, but back to Dave hurting my feelings: bawl.gif bawl.gif
Thing is, it's not all about you. Perhaps these sort of discussions wouldn't get quite so confrontational if you didn't try so hard to take it so personally. wink.gif The point is, you may not care for those bumpy roads, but there are plenty of people who do enjoy using them and buy vehicles specifically so they can go out in the wilderness and bump around with their oversized wheels and hugangous suspensions system. It's not my bag, but if we close those roads all down, pave the remainder so everyone can drive their Civic lowriders to the end without difficulty, then where are the Beyond Thunderdome types going to recreate?
Conrad wrote:
On the contrary, Dave, you made it the "crime" of elitism for me to present an argument which favored closing the road.
And I believe you were implying that others were being elitist for not wanting to grade all the roads so that low clearance vehicles can drive everywhere the road system goes. The point is, it's petty and pointless to keep whining "Dave called me a name. Waaaaah." No one cares. I honestly doubt you care all that much and are just looking to squabble with Dave. lol.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 7:49 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
marylou wrote:
This is a fat stinkin' truckload of crap:
Couldn't find a nicer way to put it, 'eh? I'll loan you my thesaurus at the next social. hockeygrin.gif
OF COURSE I know a nicer way to put it, but as well as knowing a nice and diplomatic approach, I know other approaches too. I met DW's speciousness with the type of response it deserves. Not every comment gets the $3 word treatment.tongue.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 8:18 pm 
Dayhike: Conrad isn't the only one taking this personally smile.gif All of this rhetoric is right out of Public Debate 101. If you don't like the message, demonize the messenger. In this case, the problem still exists, that of closing roads and thus reducing the public's access to land they all own. Think about me whatever you want, that's not going to change the problem. Doesn't alter the landscape a bit. And that comes from someone who grew up on very little money at all, so what? Those who think closing roads, using whatever excuses one can cook up, is just peachy can park at road junctions and walk. Be my guest. You have my blessing. Hike wherever you want and be damn grateful you have the ability. The one thing I've learned over the years about self-styled "preservationists" is that they seem to want to preserve everything for their own use. Everyone else is a leper to be forced outside the city walls and kept there. I really do care about people with disabilities or people whose legs can no longer carry them that far, and their access to the wild places, Marylou. Why is none of your business. If you're just trying to get my goat, you're not trying very hard.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 8:23 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
The point is, it's petty and pointless to keep whining "Dave called me a name. Waaaaah." No one cares. I honestly doubt you care all that much and are just looking to squabble with Dave. lol.gif
Mike, I believe you've cracked a code biggrin.gif It's no longer about roads, it's about someone having a different opinion. Especially when it's me.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 9:58 pm 
my lousy two cents worth: viewing aerial photography of western washington ( between hwy 410 and the columbia river ) makes it clear there is no shortage of forest service roads. like spiderwebs: up and down valleys, along ridgecrests, sometimes going somewhere, sometimes not. are they really all necessary? the forest service years ago was assigned the task of reducing the number of road miles, through closures and/or decommissionings, for reasons concerning both money and environmental quality. i remember some of the first public meetings during the initial scoping processes on road closure proposals in the south cascades. i was baffled by some of the arguments both for and against closures or decommissionings on some roads. i'm amazed the people at the forest service can make any sense of any of it. ( something Quark mentioned above ) there are just too dam many roads. there are roads, roads, and more roads. most of them go nowhere, other than to a landing which once hosted a skidder. why do those roads all need to remain open? for what purpose? the argument for keeping roads open for fire suppression is valid, but sometimes gets in the way of common sense. the idea that there's some vast hidden conspiracy that wants to close roads is ill-informed. the forest service closes roads for all kinds of reasons: wildlife habitat; garbage dumping; territorial disputes among mushroom pickers; etc. another point i didn't see in this thread is that the forest service is mandated to maintain roads to a certain standard. in some cases, it's just not practical with available funds to keep all roads maintained to those standards, so closure becomes the inevitable solution. is there any point in this diatribe? i don't know. but here's my view of it: kick me off this forum if you want to, but it is all about politics. for over 20 years both NFS and NPS have been treated like orphan children, left to fend for themselves, with ever-decreasing funding allocations, leading ultimately ( as workman has been banging the drum about ) to privatization of campgrounds and facilities. if you can't yet see the handwriting on the wall, wake up before you find your favorite trailhead or campground being managed and/or maintained by some private concessionaire. instead of the pointless jousting going on here in this thread, write letters to senators, congressmen, interior secretaries, agriculture secretaries, and nps and nfs land management officials. i'll never win any popularity contests up at ashford or pt. angeles, but by god, they know what i think. smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
aestivate

aestivate
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 10:39 pm 
johnahl wrote:
100 employee's managing a Forest Service area. Remove 20% of the roads should mean 80 employee's to manage the smaller area. Who wants to bet they'll add 5 temporary employee's needed to run studies to see which roads are eliminated. When everything is over the 5 temporary employee's are now too valuable to remove???
It perplexes me the number of people who reflexively dump all over the Forest Service on this forum without knowing a damn thing about it. I, personally, do my share of hating the actions of the Forest Service, but I also have some degree of respect for the people who work there. I know that to think of them all as hapless time-serving drones is inaccurate. Some of them are pretty good. Some of them are really dedicated. And I *know* that the degree of "downsizing" and total hollowing-out of human and financial resources for our local forests--particularly the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie--is quite amazing. It's as if a neutron bomb had gone off there. There might be one person there now when fifteen years ago there were six or eight. This has consequences. It means they can't get anything done. But you can't really expect the one person who's left to do the work of the six or eight who used to be there, with one tenth of the resources.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 10:51 pm 
Even I can appreciate their difficulties, and I commiserate as this is one of the few agencies that wether I agree with or not, deserves a lot more money. Where that should come from is a matter for the other forum, but it's true.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
touron

touron
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 7:08 am 
aestivate wrote:
johnahl wrote:
100 employee's managing a Forest Service area. Remove 20% of the roads should mean 80 employee's to manage the smaller area. Who wants to bet they'll add 5 temporary employee's needed to run studies to see which roads are eliminated. When everything is over the 5 temporary employee's are now too valuable to remove???
It perplexes me the number of people who reflexively dump all over the Forest Service on this forum without knowing a damn thing about it. I, personally, do my share of hating the actions of the Forest Service, but I also have some degree of respect for the people who work there. I know that to think of them all as hapless time-serving drones is inaccurate. Some of them are pretty good. Some of them are really dedicated. And I *know* that the degree of "downsizing" and total hollowing-out of human and financial resources for our local forests--particularly the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie--is quite amazing. It's as if a neutron bomb had gone off there. There might be one person there now when fifteen years ago there were six or eight. This has consequences. It means they can't get anything done. But you can't really expect the one person who's left to do the work of the six or eight who used to be there, with one tenth of the resources.
It isn't always a question of how many people you have to do a given job, but rather what jobs you are given. Do you spend you time putting a mile full of berms in a road, which makes it even difficult to hike on, or do you spend it on keeping trails open? Do you spend time collecting fees and administering tickets, or do you spend it on keeping trails open?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.