Forum Index > Trip Reports > And still more Larches (Maple Pass, Lyall Basin) - 10/07/06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Oct 12, 2006 8:57 pm 
I figured I needed to take advantage of the fall color before I go to Hawaii at the end of the month, so I hooked up with Trevor and Andrew (finally) and booked it to Rainy Pass for some larching. After brief stops at the Diablo overlook and the S-bend below Washington Pass for some shots of the Spires, my car sputtered into the TH around 12:30. Trevor and Andrew loafed up the trail with ease, with my out-of-shape ass wheezing further and further behind. They probably made the summit a good half hour before I did. Original idea was to get to Lewis at least, if not Wing, but since we started up the other side of the loop, time constraints became an issue. As of last weekend, at least, the larch was nearing peak, if not there. Some of the trees were still a titch on the green side, and the needles weren't falling yet (probably are on their way out by now), but the lighting was fantastic. One of the few hikes I will always look forward to doing in blaringly bright clear skies. Once I hobbled up to the pass, with Trevor and Andrew waiting patiently, we shot a bit and decided to drop down to the tarn above the Lyall basin and scope the larch-ege in that area rather than doing Lewis and risking missing the sunset. Made our way back down maybe 200 vertical from the summit then dropped off trail and followed granite ledges down to the tarn. Not having been to the enchantments but having lived vicariously through others pictures, a comparison was immediately invoked by all. Amazingly clear water, deep teal color and a perfect reflection of the ridge across the basin where the remnants of the Lyall Glacier cling to life on the cliffs above. We probably killed a good hour shooting at the lake, then scrambled down the small outlet stream to the basin below to find even more profuse larch, dead-calm meandering streams in the middle of a pretty grassy field, a gorgeous cascade pouring down a mossy stairstep from the moraine above and some great granite slabs overlooking Rainy Lake at the top of the big falls, and we proceeded to waste the remaining light of the day in the area. Absolutely fantastic camping opportunities in the basin, fwiw. I will be returning next year for an overnight for sure. I should note at this point that this is the second time I've been out with Trevor and both times so far, we've been skunked by overcast at sunset, so I have drawn a theory that Trevor curses sunsets. winksmile.gif With fading twilight, we invoked some mutual ass kicking with the hill which led back to the trail and hoofed it down under aid of headlights in about 40 minutes while discussing the abhorrid music we are commonly subjected to at work. All in all, I'd say this was a complete waste of time. Roughly 9 mi r/t.
Maple Pass
Maple Pass
Maple Pass
Maple Pass
Maple Pass
Maple Pass
Maple Pass
Maple Pass
Unnamed Lake in Lyall Basin
Unnamed lake in Lyall Basin
Unnamed lake in Lyall Basin
Lyall Basin
Lyall Basin
Larches
Larches
rainy_larches11
rainy_larches11
Larches against Lake
Larches against Lake
Larch against Lake
Larch against Lake
Lyall Basin
Lyall Basin
Lyall Basin
Lyall Basin
Lyall Basin
Lyall Basin
Lyall Basin
Lyall Basin

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Oct 12, 2006 9:11 pm 
SWEET SF!!! I love # 11 #13 and #16 but # 11 rocks!! thanks

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Oct 12, 2006 9:11 pm 
Rainy and all them larch
Thank you! I would love to be there! The several postings of Maple Pass, Wing Lake, Black Peak and the grand country between just makes me get too excited. This was the time of the year I would go there! What is neat are the varied aspects of each TR's photo essay. Truly wonderful. Anyone go up Early Winters Creek to the pass or summits? Some real nifty peaks there and just a short walk from highway below Washington Pass. Yup....the various times I did this I found the plane wreckage.

Trevor

Trevor
PostFri Oct 13, 2006 12:24 am 
Some nice shots, Bryan. I see, once again, particulary in the larch and rainy shot, the great avail of the 70-300. Well, I do think that the weather always abruptly worsening is related more to a curse put upon me, than the predictably unpredictable October weather. Sarcasmo.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Oct 13, 2006 1:15 am 
Trevor wrote:
Some nice shots, Bryan. I see, once again, particulary in the larch and rainy shot, the great avail of the 70-300.
That was actually the 17-85 at about 80mm. I didn't use the telephoto at all that day. Actually I take that back, I took one shot with it, but it isn't posted here.
Quote:
Well, I do think that the weather always abruptly worsening is related more to a curse put upon me, than the predictably unpredictable October weather. Sarcasmo.
I tells it like it is. Gonna post your batch?

Andrew

Andrew
PostFri Oct 13, 2006 5:14 pm 
Well done, Bryan. 1, 3, 11 and 15 are my favorites. I had a wonderful time experiencing the larch with you & Treb and the 'wow' moments that followed. We should make this an annual outing.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Oct 13, 2006 11:44 pm 
Why not monthly? clown.gif

Andrew

Andrew
PostFri Oct 13, 2006 11:59 pm 
Find me a place in Washington with larch in January. tongue.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Oct 14, 2006 12:40 am 
The larch migrate? I did not know this. You learn something new every day.

Trevor

Trevor
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 9:45 am 
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 12:22 am 
Photos 21, 22, 23 are too gorgeous for words! Thank you.