Forum Index > Trip Reports > All alone on the Liberty Bell.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 8:04 pm 
Always wanting to ascend this peak since the first time I saw it driving hi-way 20 and reading about it in the Beckey guide, I finally got my chance. Click on photos for more... Knowing that is very popular climb and wanting to avoid the crowds, Mesahchie Mark and myself left Friday evening in order to car camp by the Blue lake trail head that night. 'We will get up super early and hike the trail by head lamp'! We exclaimed. Well that wasn't really the case but by 7:30 we were on the trail leaving behind us some other teams gearing up at the parking lot. It was shaping up to be a perfect day as we hurried up the trail seeing golden larchs and fulfilling the tradional fall larch trip thats endeared by all outdoors folk.
Golden larch and sunrise.
2 labels
Golden larch and sunrise.
We soon found the boot path that takes you uphill to granite land and ascended the loose gully to the notch separating Liberty bell and Concord tower. There was still no one around and Mark and myself started to wonder if we were in the right notch, so much we started to descend until we ran into the only other team we would see during the day. They told us that indeed we were in the right area and offered us a photocopy of the peak and route. Much thanks! They proceeded to flash a route next to the South West gully and were never to be seen again. Instead of going back up to the notch and traversing the ledge to the first pitch, we just scrambled directly up to it and started climbing.
Gully and rib up to pitch 1.
4 labels
Gully and rib up to pitch 1.
Still no one around! Man was this a fun climb on great rock without being rushed by other parties and the rock was just eating up pieces of pro. The second pitch featured a neat chimney to a great belay ledge where Mark and I hung out and soaked in the experience.
Fun chimney.
1 label
Fun chimney.
Above chimney.
3 labels
Above chimney.
The third pitch went up these cracks and up to a overhang where the route goes to either side but we went to the right using some fixed pitons with long runners.
Up to the over hang.
3 labels
Up to the over hang.
Looking down before the overhang traverse.
1 label
Looking down before the overhang traverse.
After this last pitch we unroped and scrambled along big boulders to this boulder problem-
Note the absence of lichen where it is climbed.
1 label
Note the absence of lichen where it is climbed.
On top we enjoyed our accomplishment and watched climbers on S. early winters spire and talked about finishing the day with the 2 pitch climb on Concord.
Mark with Golden horn in the back ground.
2 labels
Mark with Golden horn in the back ground.
One rap delivered us to the base of the slabby boulder and then down climbing brought us to the second rap station which was two bolts above a ledge down to the third which has slings around a tree. This last one brought us to the area above the notch which we proceeded to scamper down into the gully and back to the trail. It was about 4:00 by then and chances of another climb quickly dwindled but we were plenty satisfied with just doing the Liberty bell.
Don't look down!
Don't look down!
What a great day and possibly the last hurrah of fall. This place definitely warrants a return for the other spires, towers and visit to the lake!
Contrast.
2 labels
Contrast.

Ebrace life!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 8:54 pm 
nice work guys! up.gif

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 12:17 am 
Thanks for the write up, Jeff. You did a fine job leading - again! It still seems strange that we had the route all to ourselves. Great climb, especially for this late in the season. The rock is super grippy (so say my knuckles), and the views were awesome. The N. Cascades rock! I'm still kicking myself for forgetting my camera (again). shakehead.gif

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 12:21 am 
I love the shot of Mark on the summit. Shame on you Mark for forgetting your camera! wink.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 5:34 am 
You guys rock, great pics biggrin.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley