PostWed Mar 12, 2003 5:51 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 12, 2003 6:19 pm 
Quote:
Windish put the landing gear up for sale on eBay's Internet sales site, but said he's not really interested in the money it might bring in.
Why would someone lug something that heavy all the way home and put it up for sale on eBay if it wasn't about money confused.gif
Quote:
But right now the landing gear, complete with a rubber tire that still holds air, sits next to the front door of David Windish's home.
Hmm, inside or outside of the front door? Don't get mad, get even winksmile.gif

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 8:58 am 
salish

salish
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 9:14 am 
Good job, Craig. Sorry I didn't see this thread until it was all said & done, or else I would have made similar comments as you have. I was hoping there was some sort of law in place that would discourage this - similar to the laws governing illegal pot diggers in the southwest. I'm glad to see there is. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 27, 2003 11:22 am 
Anytime you find an aircraft it is STILL government property! A friend of mine raised an F4U Corsair out of lake Washington a few years back. As soon as he got it up, the feds were there to relieve him of it!!! There is I believe a Martin Mariner at the bottom of Lk. Washington too. Nobody will raise it because the feds will grab it! That said, I dont know if they care about a totaled ground crash! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 7:25 pm 
Here is an excerpt from an article published in the March/April edition of National Geographic Adventure magazine involving the Corsair incident. In 1978 he dragged a side-scan sonar through Lake Washington, near Seattle, and located 21 airplanes, two of which were rare Goodyear FG-1 Corsair fighters. The Navy gave him permission to recover one but neglected to tell the commander of the local naval base who heard on the news that a salvor was recovering a downed “Navy jet fighter.” “The commander freaks out and sends this frigate steaming over to us,” Larkins said. “There’s this whole boatload of media and helicopters overhead and this gunboat screams up, lined with guys holding M-16s. The captain yells, ‘Prepare to be boarded!’ So I yell, ‘Prepare to repel boarders!’ The Navy captain throws grappling hooks over the side, and these guys swarm over us and haul me away”

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 7:32 pm 
Any item over 50 years old on public lands is covered by the Antiquities Act. Taking airplane debris from crash sites is comparable to vandalizing mining equipment, disturbing Native American artifacts, or cutting down trees in a park. It is disrespectful and illegal.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 8:13 pm 
Ya, what he said! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln