Forum Index > Trip Reports > Twin Sisters Lakes/Tumac Mountain 10-14-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 11:40 pm 
The plan was for me to drive from Federal Way, and actionbetty, Rich and their respective sons to drive from the Teeth of Larch campout, and we would meet at the Deep Creek Campground between 8:00 and 9:00. I told AB if I wasn’t there by 9:00, they should just head out without me. As it turned out, I parked at 8:35 and waited for them until 9:40 -- drinking way too much coffee -- then suited up and started out on the Twin Sisters Trail. (FS 1800 is mostly paved to the junction with FS 1808, which is in pretty good shape overall -- I was able to go 20 mph for most of it. When you get to the Deep Creek Horse Camp, ignore the signage that directs you to the Twin Sisters Trail -- there’s a trailhead and parking for about six cars at the end of the road and Deep Creek Campground. The campground itself is primitive, with six or so back-in sites, no water, and a pit toilet outhouse.) It was a tough day for figuring out layers -- shady and cool in the forested areas and hot in the exposed meadows. And here I am on the second weekend of rifle hunting season wearing green and brown! I saw six hunters throughout the day, one of whom admonished me for not wearing any orange. I pointed at my safety yellow rain pack cover and explained that that was the best I could do. Didn’t hear a single shot all day. The Twin Sisters Lakes are quite nice. I’m assuming there’s some fish in them, since I saw anglers at each trying their luck. There is a designated camp at Big Twin Sisters Lake, and it looks like pick your own spot at the wide meadow North of Little. There’s also a sandy beach at Little. I reached the top of Tumac in just under 3 hours and enjoyed a light breeze and silence, and signed the summit register. Thanks to the folks that recently left the new notepad! up.gif See separate thread regarding the mysterious disappearance of the NWHikers Traveling Summit Register. shakehead.gif The peak offers views of Rainier, Adams and St. Helens, and countless lakes and tarns -- if you don’t believe me, check out the upper quarter of GT map 303. On the way back, I met AB about a mile down, and she explained that they got a late start, and that Rich and the boys were waiting at Little Twin Sisters Lake. She wanted to continue to the summit, so I hiked back to the lake to wait. There the boys entertained anyone within earshot with their naval battles and sci-fi adventures! When AB rejoined us and said she also hadn’t found the NWHTSR, I felt like less of a dork. The boys kept a great pace, and earned $1 each for beating AB back to the trailhead! winksmile.gif
View back near summit of Tumac Mountain
View back near summit of Tumac Mountain
Twin Sisters Lakes from Tumac Mountain
Twin Sisters Lakes from Tumac Mountain
Blankenship Lakes from Tumac Mountain
Blankenship Lakes from Tumac Mountain
Mt. Rainier from Tumac Mountain
Mt. Rainier from Tumac Mountain
Little Twin Sisters Lake
Little Twin Sisters Lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Oct 17, 2006 10:41 am 
I'll add my report to this one ... Awakened around 6 am by this grinding crunching sound right beside my truck...Tazz was just finsihing up demolishing Rich's supplies...What a way to start the morning winksmile.gif After the fiasco had simmered down a bit , breakfast was eaten, and the car was packed.. we (Rich, Ben, Ethan, me)left the campsite at 8:30 am..yes, we are running a weee bit late..oopsie. Arrive at the TH around 10:15.. we finally find it after driving around for a few minutes..on trail by 10:30. The boys were not moving very fast and we werent sure if SoloSteve was waiting for us ahead on the trail...we just took our time to get to little twin sister, passing by us were two sets of folks one with a chainsaw strapped to his pack, the other set of folks had a big Ax... made us wonder what the heck they were up to crazy.gif We were also passed by quite a few horse folk and pack mules, I did ask about renting their pack mule services to throw the boys on their back.. they thought I was joking ,laughed and bid us a good day..darnit! Once arriving at Little twin, we relaxed and ate some lunch on a little beach ..let the boys play for a bit.
I offered the kids $2 each if they could make it to the summit to retrieve the NWHTSR. They were game for a few minutes but seemed to not care for the cash knowing they would have to hike another 2 miles uphill... Rich being the good guy that he is, agreed to stay with the boys at the lake while I go on my mission. On my way I passed a few folks, lots of colorful meadows and along comes SoloSteve!
We immediately recognize one another and he proceeds to tell me of not being able to locate the register..I question him a bit about the summit and then decide to continue on to the top to check for myself. I was trying to talk myself out of the summit thinking there is no register up there to retrieve.. but decided to trudge on the steep horsey trail to the top..I have to see for myself. Awaiting me there were 2 dashingly dandy dudes, Darryl and Doug. We exchanged a few words and they helped me look for the NWHTSR for a few minutes...Where the hell is that thing! Got a few good views..one being Rainier which we have enough pictures of..Mt. Aix, and Mt. Adams with Helens .
I signed the Tumac register and left Geohiker a note, for he had me thinking he possibly could have the register I was looking for.. prankster moon.gif My husband called me while on the summit..I answered the phone to let him know I did not have phone reception..silly man dizzy.gif Seeing I had little time to spend on the summit I bid him farewell , bid the double d's farewell and tried to hurry back to the lake where the fellows have been waiting for quite a while. It was steep and slippery coming down..had to take it slow till I got on the flat area once again. Stopped to take a few pics here and there, but the lighting was a little crappy at this point.
I got back to the lake about 2.5 hours later (guesstimate) and the guys were actually waiting for me..we proceded to boogie on down the trail back to the car ..there were kabobs to be made and the light was dwindling. Great day! great folks! great hike!

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Oct 17, 2006 10:47 am 
Quote:
Awaiting me there were 2 dashingly dandy dudes, Darryl and Doug
What no pictures?! huh.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Oct 17, 2006 11:16 am 
no pictures, I was a good girl and didnt perv out on the youngens wink.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Oct 17, 2006 1:43 pm 
actionbetty wrote:
I was a good girl and didnt perv out on the youngens wink.gif
You were so busy with the D's that you couldn't find the NWHTSR...... shakehead.gif Great report. Here's my recollection of Sat. morning...... 0-dark thirty.....Awakended by a screeching grinding metal on metal noise that seemed to go on and on. My first thought....why aren't they stopping?.....then yelling and quiet. Someone says I think you ran over Rich...What?......laughter, more laughter, doors slamming, laughter, grinding noises, pots clanging, more doors slamming....vehicles starting..... Why are they making so much noise!.....ahhhh quiet again and back to sleep. 0-dawn-thirty, more laughter, doors slamming, pots clanging, and then quiet again, ahhhh back to sleep till the sane people get up.....smile.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Oct 17, 2006 4:46 pm 
Quote:
0-dark thirty.....Awakended by a screeching grinding metal on metal noise that seemed to go on and on. My first thought....why aren't they stopping?.....then yelling and quiet. Someone says I think you ran over Rich...What?......laughter, more laughter, doors slamming, laughter, grinding noises, pots clanging, more doors slamming....vehicles starting..... Why are they making so much noise!.....ahhhh quiet again and back to sleep.
rotf.gif rotf.gif rotf.gif The laughter was AB! SHE and others thought it was funny. You didn't mention the sobbing you heard from me. bawl.gif Notice folks, he said O-dark thirty. It was very dark and didn't want to wake your asses up with lights on your tents. Next time you all get the lights in your eyes for a wake up instead of the metal grinding sound of a 25 year old coffee pot's death.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Oct 17, 2006 5:49 pm 
Tazz, you will never live this one down..muahahaha winksmile.gif Geohiker..I put those guys to work looking for the register with me..there was no time to waste up.gif

shiznit75
opie wrangler

shiznit75
opie wrangler
PostTue Oct 17, 2006 6:12 pm 
We were dying of laughter in the tent. So much so I didn't go outside for fear of laughing myself silly embarassedlaugh.gif great trip report and beautiful pictures!

~Lost In Spaz~
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Oct 17, 2006 7:39 pm 
Tazz, you should have seen poor Rich Sat. night around the fire when most of you light weights headed off to bed......poor guy was lying on the ground hugging that coffee pot and sobbing uncontrollably.....sad sad sad

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Oct 17, 2006 7:48 pm 
pain and suffering shakehead.gif

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie