Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Signs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 10, 2015 7:39 pm 
did you search Facebook for the selfie shot with that sign in the background?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 2:10 am 
K., That is horrible. We all love those wooden engraved signs. On another unhappy note, main stem Skykomish River above Split Rock access has lots of spray painted "rock art" on the smooth boulders. Heinous. The Split Rock access used to be a ok to use (park on other side of US 2) but is now heavily signed and cabled. I know why. Tom

RichP

RichP
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 9:10 am 
kbatku wrote:
rebo
rebo
"Rebo" is easy enough to find. Must be one of the new generation PCT hikers.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 9:25 am 
tmatlack wrote:
main stem Skykomish River above Split Rock access has lots of spray painted "rock art" on the smooth boulders.
Fight back. Wire brush. Circular wire brush on a battery-operated drill works well. I haven't tried a blowtorch yet (use eye pro if you do this; heated rocks sometimes spall & explode). You might not want to use graffiti remover where it will wash into the river. There's a new kind of lacquer thinner without toluene (neurotoxic) or petroleum distillates; mostly acetone, ethyl acetate and methyethylketone. Please do not call vandalism "art".
rebo
rebo
Isn't there an annual PCT website or yearbook or something wherein we could make this individual seriously embarrassed and unwelcome? This narcissistic creature deserves a consequence. Randy Rebo? http://idyllwildtowncrier.com/2015/03/31/film-sparks-pct-interest-more-hikers-expected-this-year/ Pacific Crest Trail first-time thru-hiker “Rebo,” aka Randy Burton of Pasadena, on Monday, March 30. Burton is one of the first PCT hikers this spring to come through Idyllwild. Photo by Marshall Smith
I am not sure this is the guy.  He looks old enough to be an adult.
I am not sure this is the guy. He looks old enough to be an adult.
I thought graffiti vandals were all pimply-faced 8th-grade kids. If anybody sees this tag on the WA PCT, please PM me with photos. This is the southern White Pass; too far south for me. I sent an email to the PCT Ass'n. and posted this on their Farcebook page. Hey Rebo, if you read this, you owe us all an apology. You also need to go back with some lacquer thinner, neoprene gloves, and a wire brush (get the new stuff that does not have toluene in it).

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 4:49 pm 
I did post this on the PCT 2015 page and it caused a shite storm. Mr. Rebo is a PCT "celebrity" and quite a few people got mad at me "calling him out" even though I was careful to never say that I had any proof that he did it, just someone using his name. Most people understood that vandalizing trail signs is wrong, but any time you go up against a cult of personality people get more concerned with the person than anything else, even doing things that are obviously wrong. His hike is over and I doubt he'll be coming back this way soon, but I sure hope this doesn't become a new thru hiker "tradition" - marking up trail signs to commemorate their journey. frown.gif I wrote the Naches Ranger District seeking permission to remove the markings as delicately as I can. I haven't heard back from them yet, but will make a run at it this weekend and do my best to obliterate this crap.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 8:33 pm 
Reno was kind of the AH of the PCT and JMT sites. He was one of the fist people over Forester Pass 13k+' in June and posted videos of it in deep snow. So he gets a lot of latitude there. Nonetheless people are a lot more LNT than here. stuck.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 9:54 pm 
kbatku wrote:
I wrote the Naches Ranger District seeking permission to remove the markings as delicately as I can.
Marker on wood can be difficult -- it penetrates. Motzenbocker's has a marker product that sometimes works, but I use lacquer thinner (the non-toluene stuff). Solvents tend to drive pigment into wood; better on nonporous surfaces. A wire brush will leave a scar but that will fade-in. Scraping with a knife might be worth trying. Sandpaper? You could do the whole sign so it weathers evenly. I never ask permission anymore; I just do it. If you leave that stuff up, the gonococci & spirochaetes start breeding more of it.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Oct 13, 2015 1:35 am 
wolffie wrote:
the gonococci & spirochaetes
Whoa, I had to google those. LOL...

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Oct 13, 2015 9:23 am 
kbatku wrote:
Mr. Rebo is a PCT "celebrity"
that is as stupid as it gets...and the reason why thru hiker escapades have about as much value as a blue bag full of dog sh##. Look at me! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Oct 13, 2015 9:34 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
as much value as a blue bag full of dog sh##
Hey. Whose dogsh!t you badmouthin'? That stuff is worth something -- I can pick it up and feel morally superior to the infidels. If it came out of a corgi, it's pretty good sh!t, but mostly it just all tastes the same.

Muir fan

Muir fan
PostMon Oct 19, 2015 11:09 pm 
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 9:55 pm 
I looked him up. https://www.facebook.com/randy.berton People will justify this type of crap. I totally fail to understand how someone dedicated enough to immerse themselves in the wilderness for 4-5 months thinks this is ok.

wolffie

wolffie
PostSun Mar 06, 2016 10:00 pm 
What part of "No Fishing & Crabbing in the Fishing & Crabbing Area" do you not understand?
What part of "No Fishing & Crabbing in the Fishing & Crabbing Area" do you not understand?

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Mar 07, 2016 1:45 pm 
easy target
easy target

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jun 27, 2016 1:00 am 
DOT sign
DOT sign
camp climax
camp climax
dead end
dead end
duh
duh
Goa Way
Goa Way
Harry Dick Road
Harry Dick Road
Knob Lick Mo
Knob Lick Mo
now hiring
now hiring
please pay
please pay
no oreos
no oreos
you eat - you go home
you eat - you go home
spare change
spare change
big dicks
big dicks

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."