Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gotta get out this weekend
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
skookum ouzel

skookum ouzel
PostThu Mar 13, 2003 10:01 am 
Hi all - new to this forum... Spring fever is leaving me a quivering mass plastered against the window, yearning to get out and log some miles. waah.gif I am camping down in the Columbia Gorge this weekend, at either Ainsworth State Park (central gorge) or, depending on how far I have to scoot to avoid the bulk of the rain, the Deschutes River Recreation Area near The Dalles (both on the OR side). I plan to visit the Wind River Hot Springs, but I know that I will need a good long day hike before I get there. Does anyone have any suggestions? Looking forward to chatting with y'all about my favorite obsession - er, passtime - hiking! wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Mar 13, 2003 11:09 am 
Being a waterfall nut, I love the CRG. I haven't spent any time in the Ainsworth area, but the Elowah / McCord Creek area is fantastic, as are the hikes behind Wahkeena and Multnomah. It's been 6 months since I was down there. I may have to head south again soon. smile.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Mar 13, 2003 12:17 pm 
There's always Eagle Creek. I'm gonna head down to that one in the next week or so (depending on weather, etc). Or Herman Creek or Mt. Defiance or Larch Mountain, or... I'm sure with all this warm rain, snow won't be a problem anymore, and if it is, it'll just be on the summits of the higher peaks in the area (Larch, Defiance, maybe Dog). BTW - Ainsworth is an ugly campground (it bugs me, but mayb that's just me).

skookum ouzel

skookum ouzel
PostThu Mar 13, 2003 12:49 pm 
Hmmm... I was wondering how Ainsworth would stack up. My only experience with it has been the pdf. brochure I downloaded. It stated there were walk-in tent sites, which sounds cool to me, but that is all I know about it. Anything in particular bug you about it? Of course, I always have the option of camping further east at the Deschutes Rec Area near The Dalles. Unless someone has some other suggestions... I don't need amenities. I am fully self contained. Car camping is a new treat for me - I'm used to carrying everything around on my back.

Damian

Damian
PostThu Mar 13, 2003 2:12 pm 
Welcome aboard Cascadian. Might want to check on conditions at Wind River HS. I head they may be underwater this time of year, and rainfall has been fierce lately.

skookum ouzel

skookum ouzel
PostThu Mar 13, 2003 2:52 pm 
LOL! - I just (not three minutes ago) read that the springs are often submerged during high water. I gues I'll have to hunt around for some others. Dang!

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Mar 14, 2003 1:00 am 
cascadian wrote:
Hmmm... I was wondering how Ainsworth would stack up. My only experience with it has been the pdf. brochure I downloaded. It stated there were walk-in tent sites, which sounds cool to me, but that is all I know about it. Anything in particular bug you about it?
I do a lot of car camping, so I've become finiky about where I camp. Ainsworth has no natural shelter to speak of, it's right next to the road, and there seemed to be very little privacy where I looked (I took a quick look and split, opting for Motel 6 in Troutdale instead). There is a campground on the Sandy River a few miles outside of Troutdale on the Scenic Highway. It's either State Park or private, I don't remember which, but it looked better than Ainsworth.

skookum ouzel

skookum ouzel
PostFri Mar 14, 2003 8:31 am 
Are you referring to Oxbow? I was there for an afternoon a couple of weeks ago with a friend who used to work there. I was very impressed. It was quite a nice campground. we walked along some riverside trails for a way. They do a pretty good job of maintaining that park. I believe it is owned by the Portland-area Metro. Judging by the old signs I found hanging well up some of the trees, it used to be owned by an electric company? Thanks for the feedback on Ainsworth. I think I will be striking that off my list of potentials. Does anyone have any feedback on the Deschutes Rec area further east?