Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hike 1203, Wenatchee National Forest, tips for a newbie?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
QuiksilverZJ

QuiksilverZJ
PostThu Mar 13, 2003 4:23 pm 
Hey, I'm new to the forum, and pretty new to backpacking. I'm planning a trip for Spring Break. We're trying to get a minimum 2 night, 3 day trip, and I'm thinking of this hike, the American Ridge loop. It's only like 21 miles long, but do you all think we could stretch it into 3 days, with some extra off-trail hiking? Let me know of any advice you have. Thanks in advance! agree.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
QuiksilverZJ

QuiksilverZJ
PostSat Mar 15, 2003 2:49 am 
Not too helpful here are we? Or just not friendly? rolleyes.gif

insomnia

insomnia
PostSat Mar 15, 2003 3:30 am 
Quik--where does this trial go to? I haven't heard of it {which doesn't mean anything}. I haven't hiked alot in Wenatchee. Need to catch some Zzzz's wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
JimK

JimK
PostSat Mar 15, 2003 10:43 am 
Are you talking about the American Ridge trail between the American River and the Bumping River near highway 410? If you want to hike it in April you will be mostly on snow. The high point is nearly 7000'. Even in a low snow year I doubt if much tread will not be snow covered. A lower elevation trip would likely be a better idea.

Mike E.

Mike E.
PostSat Mar 15, 2003 10:50 am 
On this side of the mountains the snow melt line varies between 1500 ft and 3000 ft depending on sun exposure and how far you are east of the Cascade crest. If you are going to be taking a long hike anytime in the next month and a half I'd plan on taking snowshoes. On the other hand you will definitely have a lot of solitude. Have fun !

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Mar 15, 2003 1:06 pm 
????
Quiksilver... Some of us are a little confused. I believe The American Ridge trail is in the Snoqualmie National Forest, not the Wenatchee NF and it is Trail #958 not #1203. It lies in the Bumping Lake area and you would normally approach it by going over Chinook Pass after it opens for the year. This year that will probably be the first two weeks of May.

QuiksilverZJ

QuiksilverZJ
PostSat Mar 15, 2003 1:59 pm 
Hmm, maybe I'm confused too. The website I was looking at called it the American Ridge loop, hike #1203, with trail #'s 958, 957, and a couple others in that sequence +-. Was the site wrong? I'm looking for the site again, we'll see if I can find it. I think the high point was ~6500', at Goat Peak, dropping down to ~4500', I think? Maybe someone knows better than me (most likely). Do you experienced guys think this will be snow covered? I was hoping it would be far enough east as it would not be, but maybe it's not far enough. Can anyone recommend somewhere to go for a 3-4 day trip, that will not be snow covered, preferably > 4 hours from Issaquah? What about the Sawtooth wilderness? If anyone could help me with this, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a bunch, guys and girls.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostSat Mar 15, 2003 6:34 pm 
Actually the trail is in the Wenatchee National Forest. My family owned a cabin near American Forks. I've done parts of it, the earliest was mid-June and ran in to lots of snow. This year may be better since we haven't had the usual snowpack. If you're looking for less snow, maybe a trip to the Olympic coast beaches and rainforest would be a good bet?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 8:49 am 
Kleet...You are absolutely right. The map I was referencing was the small one in Ira Springs book which decribes the hike. It incorrectly places it in Snoqualmie NF. But Quiksilver you might want to pick a hike which won't promise so much snow. The good news is that 21 miles of snow with a full pack will definitely let you loose some adipose.

PostSun Mar 16, 2003 9:41 am 
QuiksilverZJ wrote:
Not too helpful here are we? Or just not friendly? rolleyes.gif
You won't get much of a response if your question confuses or if the answer isn't obvious. Don't take it personally. Plus, I am not going to go thumbing through guidebooks and maps to answer questions like you posed when I don't know the answer off the top of my head. It is your responsibilty to do that first, IMO. Generally speaking, you will find many helpful and friendly people on this forum. Even though, to many lurkers this forum might appear cliquish, and that we all know each other - many of us do not. Love you handle. Hope you keep posting.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 11:47 am 
Time Frame
When is Spring Break? Are you familiar with snow camping and snow travel?

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 12:35 pm 
I've received a lot of help in regards to my questions even tho they have been pretty dumb at times so don't give up. You couldn't have come to a better site if you're looking for info on hiking the NW. Collectively, they have almost all of WA state covered.... and expanding. NN wink.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
QuiksilverZJ

QuiksilverZJ
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 10:36 pm 
Mike: That comment about adipose cracked me up for some reason biggrin.gif Pappy: I gotcha, my bad for getting frustrated. I tried to do research before posting, and posting was intended to be part of my research for the trip. I'll definitely try and make my posts clearer in the future. I'll keep posting, and probably asking ya'll for advice wink.gif. If I can, I'll post pics if I get any good ones. And if you know what a ZJ is, you rock! biggrin.gif Newt: I won't give up biggrin.gif. I emailed Slide Alder about this - I'm doing a lot of checking into the Olympic Nat'l Forest, in the lower rain forests. Anybody have experience here? Staying below ~2000' should allow us to avoid snow, correct? As usual, all help is greatly appreciated.

JimK

JimK
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 11:28 pm 
Back in college, about 1979, three of us spent Spring Break in the Enchanted Valley. It's up the Quinault River. 27 miles round trip with a start at 907' and a high point of 1957'. The waterfalls coming down the walls of the valley are spectacular in the Spring. Back then we saw one other party the whole week. After the first night out we slept in the Enchanted Valley Chalet. You are not supposed to do so any more. I still recall my lack of experience and proper equipment. I had a Trapper Nelson wooden backpack, an early $10.00 non-stuffable synthetic sleeping bag, and a big steel cooking pot. We had a great time. Several caveats...The suspension bridge just before the Chalet washed away several years ago and I don't think it has been replaced. If you try to cross make it well upstream where the river is very wide and shallower. One hiker was drowned here a few years back. Also, the road to the trailhead tends to wash away many Winters. It can add about 5 miles each way to the trip. Call the Olympic NP Rangers to check on the road and bridge before going. I last went to the Enchanted Valley over Memorial Day Weekend in 1992. I have lots of photos and will put them up on my site sometime in the next week. If I had time off in the Spring I would love to go back there.
Chalet Big
Chalet Big
Deer Big
Deer Big

QuiksilverZJ

QuiksilverZJ
PostMon Mar 17, 2003 12:26 pm 
Jim- Nice pics! That chalet is very pretty. That sounds like another great option. Is there an actual trail, or do you just follow the valley/river? Do you need any special permits for the Enchanted Valley? What about the Hoh River Trail? It should be about 36 miles round trip, and not have any snow, if the info I've read is right. Is this a very easy hike? I'd like some sort of challenge. Thanks!