Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 3:06 pm 
Suiattle River Road washed out at 12 mile
In the passing of all this rain and the high flooding rate the last couple of days...the Suiattle River Road washed out at the 12 Mile mark...this is where the bridge that took you across the river to get to Rat Trap Pass, 3 years ago, washed out...So much for making headway on getting the Downy Creek Bridge fixed, now we have to wait until they pony up the cash to fix the new problems...The Darrington Ranger Station gave me this information this morning...

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 3:18 pm 
I do think the 2nd of the raging river pics is the Tye, taken just below where Deception Creek pours into it. One of my favorite places to camp in all of Washington is very, very near where those pictures were taken. I'd though it would be fine. After seeing those pics (I'd seen the one of the bridge earlier, and mis-identified it as the bridge over MFK near Dingford Creek), I've had to change my tune from "sure it's ok" to "Um... I hope it's still there, and not part of a new river channel". Just... wow. --Gray

greg

greg
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 3:39 pm 
For Immediate Release Barb Maynes 360-565-3005 Update on Olympic National Park Roads Flood waters have receded, allowing park staff to begin damage assessments. Several park roads, including the road to the Hoh Rain Forest, have not yet been fully assessed. “So far, conditions have prevented us from reaching all areas, but we are working as quickly as possible to reach all park roads and see what the damage is,” said Superintendent Bill Laitner today. “More information will be released as soon as it’s available.” A summary of known damage follows. • Hoh Road – closed at intersection with Highway 101, while Jefferson County and Olympic National Park continue to make damage assessments. Park staff, along with a road engineer from the National Park Service’s regional office visited areas of the Hoh Road yesterday and observed major damage at Twin Creek where a 65-foot long and 40-foot deep section of road has been washed out. Conditions prevented further assessments along the Hoh Road; a five mile section of the road within the park has not yet been inspected and the extent of damage is unknown at this time. Two out of state visitors, a park volunteer and a park ranger who had been stranded at the Hoh Rain Forest Visitor Center area were able to walk around the damaged and missing sections of road today. • Quinault North Shore Road – The east abutments of the Finley Creek were compromised by floodwaters. The bridge is closed to all traffic and the road remains closed east of the bridge. • Quinault South Shore Road has been damaged and is blocked by large amounts of debris one half-mile inside the park boundary. Crews hope to clear the road and complete damage assessments today. • The Hurricane Ridge Road is closed today due to snow and icy conditions. • The Mora Road remains closed today due to flooding and downed trees. If conditions continue to improve, crews hope to reopen the road tomorrow. • Dosewallips, Staircase and Queets Roads remain closed due to previous damage and unsafe conditions. The Deer Park Road is closed for the season. The Elwha, Lake Crescent, Sol Duc and Kalaloch areas are open. Visitors are urged to use caution when traveling through the park and to come prepared for a variety of weather conditions, including high winds and heavy rain which are forecast for later this week. For current road information, people should call the Olympic National Park recorded road and weather information line at 360-565-3131.

mataharihiker

mataharihiker
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 3:52 pm 
Wow, you guys are really getting blasted...has anyone got hurt so far....those pictures of the Tye (or Deception Creek) is frightening....the election knocked all real news out...it looks like backpacking some areas is just not gonna happen next year, doesn't it? bummer...you guys live in a beautiful area but man, you do have to deal with flooding a lot it seems..... bawl.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 4:41 pm 
MCaver wrote:
For easy reference, there's a more typical view here.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 4:44 pm 
Thanks Greg!! From Gifford Pinchot NF frown.gif Special Note: County law enforcement officials are aware that there are hunters and other Forest visitors that are located beyond washouts and blocked roads. Concerned relatives should contact the county sheriff’s office or the local ranger district office with the names, vehicle description, and a detailed description of the location of the affected party. Many roads down South are closed and washed out also. Here is a list. Some have not been updated yet. GPNF Hood also has many closures dizzy.gif Jeez.... looks like I will be forced to head east this weekend.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 5:31 pm 
Jason Hummel wrote:
Those two pictures of deception creek are awesome. It makes my kayaking half think, "Only if I were gawd?" Dang, that is absolutely raging.
What you mean "only if..."? Do you see the size of that rodeo hole? Forget that you'll have to share it with a full size hemlock...hockeygrin.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 7:01 pm 
GlacierGlider wrote:
...the Suiattle River Road washed out at the 12 Mile mark...this is where the bridge that took you across the river to get to Rat Trap Pass, 3 years ago, washed out.
furious.gif mad.gif rant.gif curse.gif crybaby.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 7:30 pm 
Define "below" the 2003 washout. Reliable didn't mention the washout on the Suiattle near the bridge over the Suiattle at Circle Peak? Old Sauk trail - bummer. That thing just got fixed last year - but that included washouts from pre-2003 too I think... I'm planning on becoming an alcoholic over this.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 8:05 pm 
I figure the sources are too busy right now and the phones are ringing off the wall. I'll let 'em do thier jobs. I'll know when I know. I'll check it out this weekend. Maaaaaaybe Saturday; if not then Sunday, reeeeeel early 'cause I have a frickin' play to attend in the early afternoon. Stupid artsy-fartsy crap anyway. So what's the definition of "down," in Reliable's assessment of damage?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 8:12 pm 

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
l

l
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 8:17 pm 
greg wrote:
For Immediate Release Barb Maynes 360-565-3005 Update on Olympic National Park Roads The Elwha, Lake Crescent, Sol Duc and Kalaloch areas are open...
The Elwha was closed Monday at the entrance station. I got busted for driving past the barrier, just like a bunch of others. But an exasperated ranger surprisingly let us off the hook with no ticket. Here's some footage from the day: Video1 Video2

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 8:58 am 
Road closure update from Olympic Nat'l Park Service: http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/headline.cfm?type=Incidents&id=2970 Bummer....I had a weekend trip to Cape Alava all planned out. mad.gif

God, I am going to regret this someday!
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 10:26 am 
For more info on NW Oregon closures, the most serious of which is OR 35 between Government Camp and Hood River where 8 miles of the road was wiped out: http://portlandhikers.com/forums/thread/9044.aspx and http://portlandhikers.com/forums/thread/9165.aspx

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
greg

greg
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 12:12 pm 
North Cascades National Park Service Complex Flood Damage Summary Widespread flooding across western Washington has also impacted the North Cascades National Park Service Complex. Park officials spent Wednesday surveying the damage and have learned of three significant damage sites. The Colonial Creek Campground is closed due to flooding from Rhode Creek which has strewn debris across the campground entrance and has also developed new meanders through several campsites. The Cascade River Road is closed at the El Dorado parking area due to a wash out between El Dorado Creek and the North Fork Bridge. The Stehekin Valley Road suffered damage at McGregor Meadows and is washed out at Eight Mile. ?We?ve been through this before ? as recently as this spring, and the increasing frequency of these events concerns me,? responded Park Superintendent Bill Paleck when asked about the floods. ?We are fortunate, however, to have a competent staff of professionals that will work hard to minimize negative impacts that the flooding may have on park visitors and residents.? But, the extent of the damage is not fully known at this time. Park officials will wait until the next forecasted series of storms passes through the area this weekend before conducting a comprehensive survey, which will require good weather and a helicopter. It is uncertain at this time what damage may lie further up both the Cascade River and Stehekin Valley Roads and on the backcountry trails. It has been confirmed, however, that some important structures did survive the floods, such as the new Thunder Creek Bridge installed after the previous one washed away in the 2003. ?Although we are not overall certain of the damage, we are pleased that no one was hurt and that no private property suffered extensive damage,? concluded Paleck. -NPS-