Forum Index > Trail Talk > Damaged trails and roads here
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostFri Jan 05, 2007 2:44 pm 
Good question. Below is the best info I could find: "Washington’s National Park Fund works to ensure the highest percentage of raised funds is directed to National Park projects. We do this by managing resources carefully while encouraging private philanthropy and pursuing a variety of innovative earned-income strategies such as selling our special license plate. All funds raised by Washington's National Park Fund stay in Washington State and support Mount Rainier, North Cascades and Olympic National Parks." http://work.wnpf.org/index.php?page=aboutUs

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostFri Jan 05, 2007 4:31 pm 
Mount Logan wrote:
http://www.rei.com/stores/help_rainier.html?cm_re=b*b*mtrainier&vcat=REI_HP_L4
Washington National Park Fund is something I found out about just before Christmas....So four of my in-laws got $50 gifts to the fund for Christmas in their names. up.gif ....I also would like to know more about this Funds overhead...but I'm glad they are available! agree.gif They should be writting some big checks this year.............

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe
PostFri Jan 05, 2007 5:18 pm 
They appear to be part of the much larger National Park Foundation, and here's the NPF's (warning - BIG FILE!) 2004 income tax return. I'll leave the analysis to the reader, but there's a list of grants beginning on p. 16. Quark, you know how to decipher these returns to figure overhead, don't you? They just make me dizzy.gif !

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 1:34 pm 
Cascade River Road washout. Not gonna be repaired until August.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 2:09 pm 
That's a helluva tax return, Steve-o. I'm no expert, but looks to me, layperson, like there ain't a lot of overhead. Give it time, though - it's a new entity and more projects and plans will be identified making a larger organization and needing more expertise, methinks ('04 was the inital return). I'm surprised the employees don't make more salary, actually - on the other hand they contract some brainpower too (over a mil). Nice outfit; the Elwha got a lot of dough, and NCNP, too up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
silence

silence
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 7:48 am 
I posted this yesterday as "NW Parks and Public Lands Storm Recovery Coalition" but not until after I searched for and failed to find this thread - it belongs here: The coalition (SCA, WTA, WNPF and NPCA) was formed to help facilitate restoration efforts: http://www.nwstormrecoverycoalition.blogspot.com/

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 8:18 am 
Dang it, the CCRR picture wont go big for me. Sorefeet, whereabouts is the washout? After the gate?

silence

silence
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 9:07 am 
M - see the link above

silence

silence
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 9:09 am 
NCNP Cascade RD report: Elevation at road's end: 3,600'. Gated and closed at mile 20 (Eldorado), three miles before the Cascade Pass Trailhead. On 2/2, some passable snow and then an impassable downed tree just after mile 10 (after USFS Road #1550) . Extensive flood damage to road at mile 20.6 (North Fork) and 21.8 (Boston Creek) makes road impassable by foot at high water levels.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 11:37 am 
The washout on the Cascade River Road is at the North Fork bridge at Mineral Park, before the road does the switchbacks. Its probably damaged further up too, but its closed at the first NF bridge. Full size version is available at the link three posts up.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostSun Apr 22, 2007 7:40 pm 
The Index-Galena Falls today, kind of scenic if you ignore the yellow road stripe clown.gif

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 6:08 pm 
Miller River Road to Lake Dorothy Trail Head
At Mile 6.3 is a downed tree with narrow passage at the right. This is a few hundred feet before the first concrete bridge over the river. A passenger vehicle with a family went by though I chickened out. Walked an hour or more until I reached a sizable deadfall across the road. About half way between is a downed tree that prevents passage any farther. There are some remnant snow patches, soon to disappear. Road is fine to limited parking at road that runs between Cleveland and Lennox (I have no map with me, now, so I may have the Cleveland part incorrect). Since I have wanted to head up that abandoned/gated and concrete barriered road, I must plan to do so. Plenty of vehicles parked at this de facto trail head. For those who have thought the road to Lake Dorothy worthy of some scrutiny, this is a great time to head there. The views are enticing and spring is barely evident. Some nice waterfalls to squint at as they weave down shear walls of Cleveland. There were trilliums in places; some colts foot (true harbinger of spring) along the edge of the road. All was "real perty" though rain fell for the 2 hours plus of road walk. Road: no washouts on this stretch though some damage that begs work prior to road opening for passenger vehicles. Yes, the usual wash across the road with gravel deposits where the water dropped the road cover. A few fairly seriously eroded road edges that you could lose half a Buick. Forest Service has done some work on the road in places (recent and older bulldozed repairs). However, once the deadfall is reached, blocking the road, all bets are off. Even so, what I saw suggests most of the problems can be handled with power saws, block and tackle and a dozer with a skilled operator. I hope the Skykomish District can accomplish this repair in a timely manner; Dorothy is a worthy hike for experienced and the newbies alike. For the time being, plan to visit this low elevation entry to ALW and see the huge maples marching up slopes, gorgeous bursts of green where spring is pressing old snow away.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue May 01, 2007 7:42 am 
Just in from Swauk Campground: Many, many beautiful gigantic ponderosa pines are down all over the campground. There must have been a storm after Jan 1 as I was in there on Dec. 31 snowshoeing and there were some trees down from the Dec. storms but not like this. My 'banned' companion took good pics and I didn't (so sorry folks NO PICS FOR YOU). This also affected the "Sculpture Rock" trail, which is just a baby hike out of the campground but is still really interesting. All the blowdowns were navigable but be careful. This is a huge campground right off of HWY 97 so most of you probably avoid it but the Blewett area might have some blowdown issues this spring if this is any indication. Work has begun on the removal of the dead giants but it looks llike a challenge. Lots of firewood available there now.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostTue May 01, 2007 8:18 am 
More Cowbell wrote:
My 'banned' companion took good pics and I didn't (so sorry folks NO PICS FOR YOU).
Dang, wish we could see the pics.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 01, 2007 9:10 am 
Hasn't the FS closed most of the campgrounds on 970? Seems every time I tried to pull into one to stretch the ole legs, they've been gated. I know for a fact that a couple times it was after Memorial Day and before Labor Day when they should have been opened. Wonder if Old Blewett is a mess. It usually is, but this winter may have been rougher on it than usual. I'd like to drive it soon as I'm sure it's melted out, but wouldn't be comfortable driving it myself unless I know folks are getting through and it's alright. I'm not too good at backing up long distances and around switchback in order to turn around if I come upon sumpin' I can't get around. Maybe I'll get a NW Loser calendar feller to come with me. Fellers always know how to back up a rig around a switchback. (if they're sexy, that is)

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting