Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat May 19, 2007 12:45 pm 
Veneer wrote:
We have a celebrity posting on this board:
Yes, she always gets the good press stuff. up.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat May 19, 2007 2:44 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
I opened it in XP SP2. You might just need to update your version of Acrobat. In fact, I've never had a problem opening PDFs in any version of XP.
Thanks, Bryan, that does make a difference. doh.gif For ages now I've had the impression that Acrobat Reader was something left over from the dark ages of MS-DOS, I mean, it was primitive! doh.gif doh.gif You mean Acrobat 3.0 wasn't the latest version? bricks.gif I think it probably came with my camera's (the first Canon Elph) photo-editing program. Since the camera is long since out of production, I guess it's not surprising that any associated software should be out of date, too. I still don't really like Acrobat Reader, but version 8.0 ( ! ) does at least make things legible.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostThu Jun 28, 2007 12:06 am 
Here's the MC Road in case anyone wants to know what the twin bridges crossing looks like. These pics are a few weeks old, but I'm just getting to posting them now (better late than never, I suppose): The old way across
The new way across

greg

greg
PostThu Jun 28, 2007 1:03 pm 
Just heard from a Forest Service guy that the Waptus River Bridge, a huge sucker nine miles in just before the lake, is completely gone. The river right now is a thigh-deep ford.

-lol-

-lol-
PostThu Jun 28, 2007 1:09 pm 

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostThu Jun 28, 2007 1:21 pm 
the water is before the bridge and it's at least knee deep, but could be deeper in the center (potentially even waist deep) and it was running pretty fast. I didn't cross, but it looks like you cross the blowdown near the Gothic Basin TH and then cross over the bridge, which is still intact. Getting a bike over the root scramble on the blowdown might be a challenge, however.

JimK

JimK
PostThu Jun 28, 2007 1:23 pm 
Here is a look at the old Waptus Lake bridge. Concrete piers, steel beam construction, and no big trees that I recall being nearby.
Near Waptus Lake Outlet
Near Waptus Lake Outlet

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jun 28, 2007 2:43 pm 
peppersteak'n'ale wrote:
the water is before the bridge and it's at least knee deep, but could be deeper in the center (potentially even waist deep) and it was running pretty fast. I didn't cross, but it looks like you cross the blowdown near the Gothic Basin TH and then cross over the bridge, which is still intact. Getting a bike over the root scramble on the blowdown might be a challenge, however.
And I will be willing to bet that tree will be gone by this year's first Pineapple express storm.

Art is an adventure.
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostThu Jun 28, 2007 3:16 pm 
I bet it will, but I'm hoping more logs will pile up against the snag and create a bigger crossing

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jul 01, 2007 5:02 pm 
A few weeks ago I drove out ot see how far I could get up FS-63 (North Fork Skykomish) -- not very far.
FS-63 Roadblock
FS-63 Roadblock
FS-63 Washout
FS-63 Washout
This washout is from this weekend on FS-2130 in GPNF (Deception Creek) and is at the first major creek crossing after the big bend.
FS-2130 Washout
FS-2130 Washout

greg

greg
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 12:42 pm 
Forest Service Reopens Westside Road to Glacier Peak Wilderness Trailhead Darrington, WA— The North Fork Sauk Road (Forest Road 49) has been reopened, with some restrictions. The road was temporarily closed in May due to impacts from winter flooding and storms. “The North Fork Sauk Road once again provides hikers and equestrians vehicle access to the North Fork Sauk Trail #649. This will provide access to the southwestern part of the Glacier Peak Wilderness on the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest,” said Peter Forbes, Darrington District Ranger. Repairs were made to bridge approaches at Lost Creek and the North Fork Sauk River. Culverts were repaired and several new ones installed. Stock trucks and trailers can drive to the horse camp at the North Fork Sauk Trailhead. The road is closed to vehicles with trailers beyond this point. However, vehicles without trailers can continue another 2.8 miles to the Bald Eagle Trailhead. Due to major flood damage to roads and trails in the Suiattle and White Chuck River valleys to the north, the North Fork Sauk Trail provides the only remaining stock access to the west side of the Glacier Peak Wilderness. The trail also connects to the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail (PCNST). The Bald Eagle Trail provides access to the Henry M. Jackson Wilderness. Forbes cautions drivers that Road 49 is a single-lane, gravel/dirt road with turnouts. Dust and roadside vegetation can affect visibility in seeing oncoming traffic, so drivers are cautioned to be alert to vehicles large and small sharing the roadway. ###