Forum Index > Trail Talk > Damaged trails and roads here
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 1:09 pm 
Karen wrote:
Just read that Road 9030/9031 is washed out where they split. Those are the roads to Talapus/Olallie Lakes and Mason Lake. Don't know any additional details or how bad the slide is. Karen
I may get out of the office in time to cruise up there and check. If not, at least maybe I'll stop at the ranger station and find out more.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
andrew e

andrew e
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 1:59 pm 
Mount Baker Snoqualmie NF updated their road conditions report yesterday: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/conditions/road_conditions_report.shtml

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 2:32 pm 
Randy wrote:
I pulled this off of cc.com: **************************** Middle Fork Snoqualmie washed out at Burntboot Creek. Trailbed is completely gone. We couldn't even find where it resumed after looking for a while. Good news is that there is now a large cedar log that will allow easy crossing of the Burntboot Creek. A trail will have to be built to it though. Also on the Middlefork Trail there is a large tree down on boardwalk about a mile east of Dingford Creek. A log bridge has rotted out and collapsed on a tributary just west of Wildcat Creek. The Middlefork Road is washed out about a mile or so past the hairpin turn below Hell Hill. Another mile in the roadbed is covered in rocks washed down from above. That one will take quite a bit of work to clear. Other than those two, the road is pretty good.
So, I got a little board this morning, and decided to go look at the blockages. Much to my surprise the Forrest Service was just finishing clearing the rocky slide just before where the outlet stream from Green Ridge Lake crosses the Middle Fork RD (4 miles after the Taylor Junction??). They said they were going to see how far they could get with their front loader. Hopefully Randy will get farther, and have a good report.
Ya, it's blurry I know. It's the only pic I took
Ya, it's blurry I know. It's the only pic I took

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 2:50 pm 
Where is Hell Hill? Sounds like you made it almost to Dingford.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 2:56 pm 
Hell Hill - No Idea. At a guess it's the up and over part of the road from the Taylor Junction. There were some small washouts before where all the rock came across the road, but the usual one was fine. I think Dingford was probably another 2 miles. The FS is trying for Goldmyer, but may not get that far with a backhoe\front loader. I suspect the road to dingford will be passable by the end of the day (might want high clearence tho...)

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 3:00 pm 
Cool, was hoping to get up to Goldmyer a few more times before the lock goes in.

andrew e

andrew e
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 5:32 pm 
Here's a list of road washouts (not complete by any means) that I've compiled from various sources: http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?4+blog+thread+ed+207

Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 5:34 pm 
Thanks for your work Andrew up.gif !! the pics are well.... eek.gif

shiznit75
opie wrangler

shiznit75
opie wrangler
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 6:32 pm 
One of the stories I was reading earlier said that they may not even repair the Carbon River Road. I was told by a person that volunteers there that the damage is worse then they've seen.

~Lost In Spaz~
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 7:52 pm 
H. Hound wrote:
Much to my surprise the Forrest Service was just finishing clearing the rocky slide just before where the outlet stream from Green Ridge Lake crosses the Middle Fork RD (4 miles after the Taylor Junction??).
MtnGoat, so *this* is what your dog does midday while you head off to work? Give him a milk bone for me. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 10:52 pm 
Tom wrote:
I thought Hell Hill was the first hill that climbs up from the Taylor junction, then drops to the old campground. I think the name would be better suited for the one steep spot between Garfield Creek and Dingford where the road always gets rutted and waterbarred and potholey.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 11:01 pm 
Yes, that's it.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 11:49 pm 
Tom wrote:
Cool, was hoping to get up to Goldmyer a few more times before the lock goes in.
You should have plenty of time. Last I heard from the FS is definitely not until sometime spring or later '07. When DHM and I were up there w/e before last, there was no sign of change except the open new gate at Dingford. There's no signs of staging or construction for the bridge at G'myer and no building materials in sight. I'd be curious to know if all or part of that lower parking lot for the HS got taken out in the flood as it was right at river level. As an aside, I was a little nervous taking my rig up that road as the road wasn't in great shape, and I found myself saying "dat's what I'm talking about, buying me a high clearance vehicle". chickenleg.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Markus

Markus
PostSat Nov 11, 2006 9:28 am 
Here are some pictures of the Department of Transportation cleanup efforts http://wwwi.wsdot.wa.gov/OneDOT/News/2006/11/rain.htm

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Nov 11, 2006 10:11 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
Tom wrote:
I thought Hell Hill was the first hill that climbs up from the Taylor junction, then drops to the old campground.
Well, us locals also call it "The Shoe Fly" for reasons I have never been able to fathom, but back in the days when a pal of mine was the seasonal ranger at Camp Brown, that's what it was called then, and still is by folks I know. I cannot recall that stretch of road ever being in good shape. I think it went to hell ten minutes after they bladed it. A positively lousy stretch of road. The real pity, IMHO, is that the road up the Taylor River was abandoned all those years ago. That is some marvelous country up there, including the side trip up Quartz Creek, and I'd like to motor up to some of the old trailheads up there. Ah, what a difference 32 years makes. Oh well

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence