Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Good News for Wild Sky
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 11:09 am 
I'm not sure how to answer this...do you have some idea of the basis for the law which you are referrnig to?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Justan

Justan
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 11:11 am 
I do not. Can you provide a reference to the text?

-Justan Elk
andrew e

andrew e
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 6:26 pm 
Quark wrote:
Brian Curtis wrote:
Quark, you are referring to Aldo Leopold's Thinking Like A Mountain.
Thankss Brian. What a beautiful piece! I googled Aldo Leopold - wow, what a legacy he left! I read some of this other writings as well! Thanks!
Quark, you gotta read A Sand County Almanac. Classic. I'll loan you my copy.

l

l
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 7:48 pm 
andrew e wrote:
Quark, you gotta read A Sand County Almanac. Classic. I'll loan you my copy.
Oh yeah. But I can't loan my copy out. The dozens of lines I've underlined would drive others over a cliff.

jbsimm2
WWLD?

jbsimm2
WWLD?
PostFri Nov 17, 2006 8:41 am 
I recommend State of Fear from Michael Crichton. It is fiction, but the facts in the book are real and correct. includes footnotes and a bibliography.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 17, 2006 8:53 am 
down.gif Rubbish, Crichton is a hack and the climatology in it is a bout as accurate as the Physics in Timeline.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Justan

Justan
PostFri Nov 17, 2006 9:41 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
But one comment that does fit your position, is the willingness to use law to exclude others from lands you want protected..and that's not assumption... it's proven by your statements.
Ahem Wilderness Act http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=legisAct Wild Sky senate proposal http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=108_cong_bills&docid=f:s391rfh.txt.pdf Wild Sky house proposal http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=108_cong_bills&docid=f:h822ih.txt.pdf Anyone see where any group or person is excluded from access? Anyone? There is a reference in the Wilderness Act to the Shipstead-Nolan Act (Public Law 539). While doing a brief review didn’t land me this particular Act, I do believe I found a reference to Dave’s “elitist” folks. According to what I read, the Shipstead-Nolan act was at least a partial forbearer to the Wilderness Act. According to text found here: http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/feb-march2004/murie.htm
Quote:
The greatest adventure was yet to come, the fight against the timber barons to save what is now Quetico-Superior Wilderness. This struggle is worth dwelling on, for its meaning for us now, 73 years later. Congress, by sending to the president the Shipstead-Nolan Act of 1930, designated some National Forest land for purposes other than exploitation. It's seen now as the fore-runner of the Wilderness Act of 1962. It passed at the eleventh hour of the last session of that year's Congress, climaxing years of efforts on the part of Ober and his, fortunately wealthy, friends. It was a triumph of upper middle class activism, sparked and stubbornly kept on course by a financially strapped man who knew the land and its waters better than any legislator or corporate commander. Matching his stubbornness was his ability to size up the opposition, cut through duplicity, find core commitments and where their money was coming from. But there was more to it than that. The wilderness lovers had to have their own political capital, public support, and they worked hard to win it, from outdoors people of all stripes and from women's organizations. They even brought the American Legion on board, and the Minnesota Legislature. On July 4, 1930 Ober, homeward bound, found a telegram waiting for him in Detroit. "Senate concurred in final hour of session hurrah for Shipstead."

-Justan Elk
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Nov 17, 2006 10:51 am 
A great deal of what is now wilderness in Washington was part of a large "Wilderness Study Area" that was designated in 1946. One of the original ideas for this land was to make "Ice Peaks National Park" which would have gone from the Canadian border to I-90.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods