Forum Index > Trail Talk > Truffle, Porchini Hunters Wanted
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tvashtar
Tvashtalker

Tvashtar
Tvashtalker
PostThu Oct 12, 2006 6:30 pm 
I'd like get together this winter with some folks who'd be willing to share their knowledge about hunting truffles and porchini in the PNW in exchange for some of my experience hunting chanterelles, morels, and hedghogs.

"We are, all of us, in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Oct 12, 2006 6:52 pm 
get a pig they will find them for you agree.gif

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Oct 12, 2006 6:57 pm 
I'm sending you a PM with some contact info of a professional shroomer we "rescued" up at Windy Pass last year. She works for the UW. edit: If you want her contact info, PM me. Your profile doesn't allow email or pm.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Oct 12, 2006 10:13 pm 
You have to go to Oregon for most truffles and the Herb Farm in Woodinville is raising some nice pigs pig.gif just for that purpose. You could also get yourself a truffle hound or as in some countries, a goat or a bear cub huh.gif will help you find them. Most Boletus are probably wormy now, but there have been some nice specimens in MRNP years past.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostThu Oct 12, 2006 10:30 pm 
Some of my first woodsy memories are hunting mushrooms with my family, particularly my dad. I grew up in Indiana, and we'd head out in the spring, Aprilish, to one of the State Forests somewhat nearby, hunting morels primarily, and occasionally puffballs and something that looked like a tiny-headed, long stalked morel that dad called "peckerheads". I've heard that Washington has a good morel crop, but I've never seen any. Do they have a differing season here? I'd love to go out and search them out sometime! --Gray

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Oct 12, 2006 10:42 pm 
I check in with this site every day in morel season but there's fall shroom info here too. Reading the old PSMS Sporeprint newsletters can give you some good location info.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
gyngve

gyngve
PostFri Oct 13, 2006 2:15 am 
Porcinis aren't hard to find. They like pines, and they sprout up after fall rains. I've found them anywhere from Quartz Creek to Stampede Pass to Snow Creek. My partner in the Bugaboos managed to bag a matsutake... that was NICE!

Tvashtar
Tvashtalker

Tvashtar
Tvashtalker
PostFri Oct 13, 2006 3:58 pm 
More Cowbell wrote:
You have to go to Oregon for most truffles and the Herb Farm in Woodinville is raising some nice pigs pig.gif just for that purpose. You could also get yourself a truffle hound or as in some countries, a goat or a bear cub huh.gif will help you find them. Most Boletus are probably wormy now, but there have been some nice specimens in MRNP years past.
Where in Oregon? I don't want my cub to have to walk too far...

"We are, all of us, in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
Badger

Badger
PostFri Oct 13, 2006 7:49 pm 
I would like to learn to go hunting for shrooms. Haven't gone since I lived in Michigan. I live in NB so if anyone goes out hunting in that area and wouldn't mind showing a novice what to look for here I would greatly appreaciate it. BTW: I have collected morrels out here. have a pretty decent little spot off 522...

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Oct 13, 2006 10:03 pm 
Tvashtar wrote:
Where in Oregon? I don't want my cub to have to walk too far...
Is your cub Russian? That's where the truffle hunting cubs are employed. Do you have any Russian friends? Now, they know how to hunt for free food. I don't actually know of anyone that has found truffles but I bet if you joined the Puget Sound Mycological Society or went to the wild mushroom show (that would be this weekend) you could get some info. I keep meaning to join them but I'm a member of so many geeky groups already... I've also thought about posting a mushroom hunt in the "Partners" forum but since no one knows me I figured I would have no takers. My best hint for hunting most mushrooms is look for a water source (creek, river, lake) and then look nearby. Redmond City Watershed trails have lot's of fun shrooms to identify but very few edibles (except in the spring when there are millions of oyster mushrooms). There, I gave one secret spot out for you all. My favorite books are: This one David Arora is a wild man and the cover of this book is my kind of cover. And this one A PNW standard must have.

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSat Oct 14, 2006 8:45 pm 
Mmmm...we had angel wings for dinner tonight - the bonus from our trip up Silver Creek yesterday. Hurray for mushrooms!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Oct 17, 2006 4:36 pm 
I saw in the paper a class at the Cedar river enviro. center for mushroommiinnngg......it's in north bend ....(206) 233-1515 or cedarriver.org

Badger

Badger
PostWed Oct 18, 2006 6:36 pm 
Thx forest gnome!

Badger

Badger
PostWed Oct 18, 2006 9:18 pm 
Drat! Just missed it- they held it on the 14th. Emailed them to see if/when they are going to do another one. Thanks anyways FG! What the heck, Ill just go pick and few... dizzy.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Nov 13, 2006 9:01 am 
Man buys dirty, stinky fungus ball for $209k hungry.gif From correspondents in Hong Kong November 13, 2006 03:17am Article from: Agence France-Presse
Quote:
AN anonymous bidder in Hong Kong snapped up what was expected to be the most expensive white truffle ever, paying €125,000 ($209,065) at auction today for a 1.5kg whopper, sponsors said. It was the second year in a row that a buyer from the southern Chinese city had snapped up the top item at the annual Worldwide Alba White Truffle Auction held in northern Italy. Last year, a consortium of investors paid €95,000 for a 1.2kg fungus. The Guinness Book of Records later confirmed it as the most valuable truffle bought at auction. The winner this year outbid buyers from Paris, London and Grizane, in Italy, where the auction, now in its eighth year, is held. As happened last year, the truffle will be cooked by chefs at Hong Kong's Ritz-Carlton Hotel, which sponsors the city's annual bid, and served to diners at a charity dinner.