Forum Index > Trip Reports > Twin Falls, November 9, 2006
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 6:53 pm 
The trailhead at Exit 34 (lower Twin Falls trailhead) was being posted closed today due to a washout and unstable conditions. To be on the safe side, BJ, Solohiker, Tika and I started from Exit 38 and hiked down to Twin Falls from the Iron Horse cut-off. The trail is in pretty good shape considering the amount of rain and we had no difficulty hiking to Exit 34 (we wanted to see the washed out area). The washed out area wasn't a big deal for us but we could see how it might bother an inexperienced hiker and some stretches of the trail could be undercut and/or eroded. So, for now, play it safe and start from Exit 38. Washington State Park is closing the lower trailhead for a couple of weeks. We started in rain and ended with sun. Not a bad end to an easy hike, a little over 4 miles round trip (from Exit 38 to exit 34). When we hiked back the skies were clear enough that we could see the snowline from the Iron Horse and we are looking forward to hiking or snowsnoeing in snow by next week. Oh, also the Iron Horse trail is closed east bound at Exit 38 due to a landslide. We made the obligatory stop at Snoqualmie Falls on the way home. Even today, the spray/mist made photography almost impossible. Karen
Twin Falls trail, November 9th
Twin Falls trail, November 9th
Twin Falls, black and white
Twin Falls, black and white
Monster
Monster
Winter trees
Winter trees
Roots
Roots
Fallen leaves
Fallen leaves
At the trailhead
At the trailhead
View from the Iron Horse Trail
View from the Iron Horse Trail
Stopped to visit this big fellow on the way home
Stopped to visit this big fellow on the way home

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BarbE

BarbE
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 7:42 pm 
Karen, quite amazing how much color was left, and your pictures show it well. It was fun to find our reflections in the in all the bubbles.
Girls in a bubble
Girls in a bubble
Umbrella hiker
Umbrella hiker
Big Falls
Big Falls

Karen

Karen
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 8:08 pm 
BJ, Who the heck is that dork with the umbrella? Karen

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 8:14 pm 
The photos are gorgeous. Limited and diffused daylight....you have a steady hand or a trusty tripod. I'd not wait to handle the tripod in such wet conditions. Nice to see the snow line coming down; what is truly amazing is how tame Twin Falls looks. The falls must have been ragging on Monday...like the photo of Deception Creek in another thread. How far can one go on the Iron Horse Trail eastward? Can one walk west of the cut-off trail to Twin Falls? There is a nice falls that an old RR bridge goes over...it is a face on view of the falls on one side; on the other, the falls is under the bridge and you look way, way down. Any potential road access to Iron Horse Tr at the east end of the old highway "bypass" east of the mini-powerplant? That is the road that travels up and allows one to gain easy access to the trail on our "little matterhorn". I like this road...you can head either east or west on Iron Horse TR. West is a nearby "S" bridge. I took visitng friends there in summer; the fellow is a RR enthusiast and travels all around the country to see locations and meet with other persons of like ilk. He can be rather overbearing about what he knows and thought an "S" bridge to be rather commonplace...until he walked out on it and had a long moment of rapture! He had never been over such a large one with so much "air" under it. He took a roll of film and more...just on the bridge...of the bridge. Fascinating.

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 9:41 pm 
Nice TR and pictures, ladies -- thanks for scouting it! biggrin.gif It's going to be one of the few lowland hikes we have left with all the flooding! shakehead.gif

hikermike

hikermike
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 10:33 pm 
Silly reply...but The distance from exit 38 to 34 was 4 miles round trip....course the road makes a difference but is is funny on the outside.

Karen

Karen
PostSat Nov 11, 2006 7:53 pm 
My second hike to Twin Falls, this week. This was different in that I was mentoring a new leader for the Mountaineers. All went well and not much to add except that we also went up to Olallie State Park to take a peek at Weeks Falls. Only took a few photos today, having too much fun gabbing with our new leader (solosteve) and those who braved the late autumn storms to join us. Karen PS, photos taken at Olallie State Park/near Weeks Falls (very dark).
Accidental dupe
Accidental dupe
Water
Water
Below Weeks Falls, Olallie St Park
Below Weeks Falls, Olallie St Park

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe
PostSat Nov 11, 2006 8:42 pm 
Twin Falls Redux, indeed! Thanks to Karen as my mentor, and Pipsissewa and 5 others who persevered in the face of a bad weather forecast to let me lead this hike. As it turned out, we just got sprinkled on, and missed the worst of today's weather system. winksmile.gif
Sabahsboy, Karen's technique is something we could all aspire to. I walk around snapping the same s**t, different hike, but she just sees something that catches her eye and snaps it -- no tripod, minimal setup. She's got "the eye". up.gif And she's not shy about going off-trail to capture the best angle. This is one I took of her probably taking one of the ones in her post! dizzy.gif

Karen

Karen
PostSat Nov 11, 2006 11:59 pm 
My friend Lola said it was OK to share this photo of her. It's kind of a funny story. We stopped at one of the mini-marts off Exit 34 and saw some cheap gloves for sale. Lola was wearing hot pink and bought gloves to match and I was in red and I also bought colors to match. It was silly but fun. I tried to talk others in the group to buy gloves to match their predominant color too -- to no avail! Karen
My pal loves pink
My pal loves pink

whitebark

whitebark
PostSun Nov 12, 2006 11:21 am 
Sabahsboy wrote:
Any potential road access to Iron Horse Tr at the east end of the old highway "bypass" east of the mini-powerplant? That is the road that travels up and allows one to gain easy access to the trail on our "little matterhorn". Fascinating.
The Iron Horse can be accessed by good trails coming up both the Change Creek and Hall Creek valleys. The Change Creek access starts next to the creek's bridge. The Hall Creek access starts at a gated road about 100 yards beyond the Hall Creek bridge. These trails are popular with rock climbers wanting to get to their favorite cliffs. So that landslide should be easily bypassed.