Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mineral City, Index Wa
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 1:58 am 
Hey folks. Went up to Mineral city last friday. Its been years since I was up last. Tried to find some sign of Mineral city itself, anyone else tried this? I hiked the trail to where the creek comes right throgh mineal city then I walked it down to Silver creek. This is where the city was, right? There is an old road in the woods down by silver creek but that is all I could find that remained. Anyone had any luck finding remains of the old city? Thanks

none
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 6:54 am 
Jordan wrote:
Anyone had any luck finding remains of the old city?
Not me either, and I looked around where I thought my info indicated it should be. Either I was in the wrong place, or the damp forest has already eaten or buried all of the remains.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
North Cascades

North Cascades
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 8:58 am 
When I checked out that old road downstream from the trail in 2014, all I found was young trees growing among old growth stumps. I made a couple of vids while I was there.
There was also a pipe sticking out of one of the stumps.
FWIW, here's a mining cadastral document, showing the location of some of the buildings near the trail.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 2:27 pm 
How were the creek crossings on the way? Any of the old bridges still holding up? Did you pass the old bus?

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 2:59 pm 
Damian wrote:
Any of the old bridges still holding up? Did you pass the old bus?
I don't recall any bridges remaining, but my memory is fuzzy after a few years. I did pass the bus. How far from the "city" was that supposed to be? Sorry to hijack the thread from you, Jordan.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
North Cascades

North Cascades
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 3:42 pm 
Brushbuffalo, the bus is about a 10 minute walk south of the Monte Carlo Cabin.
Lower Silver Creek
Lower Silver Creek

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 8:35 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Jordan wrote:
Anyone had any luck finding remains of the old city?
Not me either, and I looked around where I thought my info indicated it should be. Either I was in the wrong place, or the damp forest has already eaten or buried all of the remains.
Thats what I was thinking too. I did bring my metal detector with me and scanned the place for about an hour. I am a very experienced detectorist and was surprised to find nothing. No old pieces of iron, only came across one nail. No old coins or buckles, hinges, door knobs, nothing. Where that old road is, in the clearing in the woods must not be where the town was. I did travel a little downstream of where I thought the town was. Got a little more action on the detector, maybe deep iron but still nothing I could pinpoint and dig.

none
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 8:51 pm 
North Cascades wrote:
When I checked out that old road downstream from the trail in 2014, all I found was young trees growing among old growth stumps. I made a couple of vids while I was there.
Hey Ryan. Yep, made it up there with Katrina. We crossed the first bridge, which is now only one log with a rope running along it connect to two trees , one on each side. Seamed pretty solid. The next one has a log still standing but no rope, we went down and crossed over the streams instead. Both crossing were pretty easy. Checked out the bus and went a ways into one of the mines. It was a good trip. Trail is way overgrown past the cabin.

none
Hikesume

Hikesume
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 6:37 am 
Hey guys! Skip here - owner of the Bus, properties surrounding it, and co-founder of SUME (Straight Up Mining Explorations). Sorry it took me about a year to respond.... been off NWhiker for a while. My brother and I have detected throughout the MC site, and have found several interesting artifacts, but no coins or anything of monetary value (yet). We have also had success on several surrounding mining claim locations. In regards to the trail up through Silver Creek, There have been several major impressive trail updates thanks to our partner Alan (Mineral Center Mining Co). See You On The Trail! -Skip

"May your Mines be Deep and Dark." - Straight Up Mining Explorations (Dedicated to the Research and Preservation of the Silver Creek/Mineral City areas)
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 7:38 am 
I was wondering if anyone else had been through there with a detector. What kind do you have? Ever used it around Goat Lake?

none
Hikesume

Hikesume
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 9:38 pm 
We have 2 that we’ve used... the main go-to is my Gold-Master II.... aside from the mineral city area, I’ve also detected near mineral center, New York/Seattle mine workings, gulch lakes, silver lake and twin lakes.... See You On The Trail! -Skip

"May your Mines be Deep and Dark." - Straight Up Mining Explorations (Dedicated to the Research and Preservation of the Silver Creek/Mineral City areas)
Jake

Jake
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 6:23 am 
The town was platted at the forks of Silver Creek, but the town grew up around the present road area. I was up there in circa 1979 not long after they had logged the area. They had pushed a bulldozer road through the old townsite east, toward the creek forks. I walked that cat track and found a number of very nice ornamental coal oil lamps, and lamp bases all broken to pieces, along with other town debris like door knobs and those old black square door locks from that era, Sad to see all that broken artifacts laying there. But they must have had some nice buildings there for here today, gone tomorrow mining camp.

Hikesume

Hikesume
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 6:45 am 
Hi Jake! Excellent insight to some of the history there! I just just a wee lad when they logged in the late 70’s... which is shortly before our family drove the bus up to its current location. I have a couple pics of a cabin that claim to be “mineral city” residents, but after further investigation, I believe they are from some years after the abandonment of MC. It’s sad that there isn’t much data regarding such a thriving historical town - very little except what Hodges printed, and then what Woodhouse paraphrased later. I have several historical hand drawn maps showing potential treasure/cabin site locations. Some we have investigated, and some are future adventures! See You On The Trail! -Skip

Jake

Jake
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 7:15 am 
Hello Skip. If the pictures you mentioned are the ones I'm thinking of, they are from the 30s or 40s. There's a sign in the picture saying Mineral City. The only known picture of the original Mineral City is the one we have in DWHN volume I of one of the hotels. It was taken by Josiah Spurr in 1900. I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but your bus isn't the only bus up there. There is a bus some 1950's- 60s miners used for a bunkhouse at the mouth of Red Gulch, just north of the townsite. There's an old bulldozer up there too. There is a story in an old GOLD magazine, published around November, 1965 about their mining operation and a cock and bull story about a lost mine up there once located by Shakey Bill.

Hikesume

Hikesume
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 9:39 am 
Hey Jake! You are exactly right on the two photos! Although I thought the one on the NWUEV1 book was of Galena and mislabeled as Mineral City? I could be wrong if you have some updated historical documents referencing otherwise..? If so, please share!! And yes to the bus and bulldozer too! I’ve seen them both on several occasions (on the far side of red Gulch - towards the base) on my way up to the top of Red Gulch! Awesome that you know about these too! The Small Bus is completely squished now, but the bulldozer is still mostly in tack. After scaling up the tough terrain of Red Gulch, you finally get to a cliff face. There’s a metal cable that ran down one spot that we used to scale up to the top - which goes to an old cabin site foundation, the remains of a collapsed adit, and, most interestingly, a fascinating natural structure causing the headwaters of Red Gulch (truly a sight to see). The cable since has become dislodged, but last time I was up, I managed to scramble up the cliff side and tie it off again. Anyway! Awesome to hear from someone who has some knowledge of the area up there! Our group, SUME (Straight Up Mining Exploration) is a close-knit group of like minded individuals dedicated to the preservation of Mineral City and the Silver Creek areas. Let me know if you have any questions or topics to discuss about the area! See You On The Trail! -Skip