Forum Index > Trail Talk > Morning??!!???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowkeeper

Snowkeeper
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 10:55 am 
Just out of curiousity. What time do you like to be on the trail in the morning? Are you up before the sun and on the trail soon after? Or do you like to linger around camp a bit? I was just curious what its like on the trail with some of you folks... Smiles! smile.gif Snowkeeper ~May your feet be planted firmily on the way.~

Proverbs 3:5
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 11:06 am 
I am so not a morning person. I do tend to get up earlier when I'm camping because I usually go to bed a lot earlier. But if I'm starting the day from the house, forget it. I'd love to be up and at a location for sunrise pictures, but it's extremely rare for me to get out of bed early enough to do that. The trick is to just sleep there. tongue.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 11:15 am 
As a dayhiker, I like to make the most of my day -- I prefer to be on-trail as early as 5:30-6am if it's a lengthy hike, like the Enchantments, 7-8am for more typical length scrambles, and rarely, if ever, later than 10am. Part of it has to do with spending as much time midday in the places I want to get to, part of it has to do with leveraging the cooler temps in the morning. Some routes have large areas of exposed rock or clearcut that are just dry and hot, and I'll try to time it so that I'm through those sections before the sun is directly overhead. I pity the fool heading up Aasgard Pass with a full pack around 1-2pm. Michael

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 11:28 am 
If I am with my climbing buddies I try to be at the trailhead at first light. That even means waking up at 3:00a.m. Why so early? Plans usually go different when reality hits, or your expectations are usually not met for your goals so I like to take advantage of as much light as possible. Backpacking with the wife is different. People ask, “Why don’t you spend the night at the trailhead?” Because I would rather sleep in my bed…..and get a better night sleep. If you think about it, you get the same amount of sleep if you drive to a trailhead the night before and wake up in the morning compared to getting up early at your home and drive to the trailhead. Rebuffet(sp?) a French climber said, “You will never regret an early start.”

Art is an adventure.
skookum ouzel

skookum ouzel
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 11:33 am 
If I am doing a dayhike and leaving from home, I'll often get up at 4:00 AM to hit the trail at first light - so much easier to do in the winter! If I am doing an overnight trek, then I usually crawl out of my bag sometime very soon after first light, then putz about camp until I feel ready to go - an hour or two at the most. Basically, I think my rule is that if I have to drive, it gets done in the hours of darkness, while if the driving is already out of the way, I'll enjoy my morning a bit. There is nothing like morning in the camp!

catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 12:00 pm 
Oh my. I've certainly regretted one of those reeeeeeeally early starts! Just ask Lead Dog! He's with you guys on the starting at first light thing! I did that with him once and won't again. I felt I could have enjoyed and appreciated the hike and destination a whole lot more had I been rested.

salish

salish
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 12:06 pm 
Linger....
If I'm day hiking I like to get an early start, but if it's an overnighter or weekend trip I like to linger around camp in the morning. I'm one of the few people I know who actually brings an old coffee pot with me to sit around in the morning and drink coffee and linger, while I observe the world. Like most I live my life by schedules, alarm clocks, and timetables, so I love to just wing it in the mountains and take each moment as it comes.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
skookum ouzel

skookum ouzel
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 12:18 pm 
Salish, I know exactly what you mean - mornings should not be rushed while out in the wilderness. I have an old beat up coffee pot that I make tea in - the ritual of relighting the fire, putting on the teapot, enjoying 2 or three (or more!) cups of tea while the birds sing, the fog drifts through camp, the sun comes up, and the day gets underway... there is nothing more grounding for me. Of course, many of the places where I hike, campfires are not allowed, but the ritual is no less satisfying for using my little stove. If only all of life could be (un)structured like that - no alarms, no bells & whistles, no schedules, no phones... ahhh!!! biggrin.gif

salish

salish
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 5:01 pm 
Quote:
If only all of life could be (un)structured like that - no alarms, no bells & whistles, no schedules, no phones... ahhh!!! biggrin.gif
Amen, brother. The best therapy in the world!

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 6:53 pm 
the first day of a hike I like to hit the trail with a headlamp! If I can get a 3-4am start that's what I'll do. Dante and I once got a HL start at Dutch Miller. We were at Crawford lake by 10am! The corresponding days out on the trail I wake up at 05:45 regularly and am on the trail by 0630-0700. The earlier the better! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 7:06 pm 
I usually like to take my time in the morning. To me, hiking is getting away from it all and not being in a hurry. Sooo... usually 8:00-10:00. I like to wake up first. Sometimes if I want the solitude I'll leave between 10:00-2:00 for a shorter local hike. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 8:57 pm 
I usually get in the car between 7:30 and 8:30. I'd like to leave earlier, but I'm tired because I stayed up so late the night before packing hmmm.gif As has been said, there are some trails that just aren't fun doing in the hot noon day sun.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 9:36 pm 
Another great point from the Bear! Earlier equals cooler! "O" dark thirty is the word of the day! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 9:43 pm 
BPJ, early means you have time to see the mountain and the lake.
mtn lake
mtn lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 10:18 pm 
I saw the MTN and or the lake the day/night before! Or in the case of the trailhead, I've seen my car many times! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif You're BURNIN daylight Mr.!!!! John Wayne, The Cowboys! P-Bear, that looks like SnowKing lake there??? TB