Forum Index > Trail Talk > Do you carry a gun on backpacking trips?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
foofoofunky

foofoofunky
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 5:29 pm 
My husband and I have had a conversation off and on about whether to carry a gun or not on the trail. We have had numerous people tell us we should. I'd like to hear both sides on this issue. Guns scare me, but maybe it's a smart thing to do. Do you carry a gun? Have you ever had to show it? Use it? If you are thinking about carrying a gun, what is your thought process on it?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Amos Gunn

Amos Gunn
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 5:46 pm 
A better question: if you are an expert at using a gun, should you carry a gun? If you are a beginner, it may be more dangerous than being unarmed. I've never had occacion to defend mycelf in the wilderness. Gun seems like a heavy extra -- food is more valuable. Throw a can of sardines at a bear or some chocolates to the ice axe murderer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dante

Dante
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 5:58 pm 
Try a search . . .
This topic has been flogged to death here. Try a search for "guns". There are six pages of results. "Gun" returns twelve pages of results.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 6:50 pm 
This is a topic that I have spoken in depth about. It's also a topic that pisses off, in a *major* way a lot of people on this board. That said, if you'd like to hear the views of a very experienced gun owner, email me and I'll give them to you. I do carry a gun whenever I am alone in the wilderness. If I go with one or more people I dont always carry. It is in my opinion a very responsible thing to enquire about. Enough said. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 8:30 pm 
Only when hiking in National Parks, with large groups of women.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 8:53 pm 
I think I'd be nervous if that Ranger Bart guy above was brandishing an equalizer. lol.gif "Don't have a cow man, it's just a gun."

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 9:09 pm 
Why is it always an issue of being afraid of something? Once again I am having to defend my position! Always having to justify what to me is common sense. It's all about responsibility. Nobody can ever plan for what *will* happen, only for what *can* happen. It's about being prepared for anything. There have been a couple times I was very glad to have it with me. Let's face it, it's mostly for the human factor, although there are other possibilities one must confront in the outdoors. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 9:14 pm 
If you ever here somthin stompin through the brush paranoid.gif , don't shoot! I don't want to get a bullet it my moon.gif.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 9:35 pm 
Didn't I say *something* about responsibility? I've NEVER discharged my firearm on a hiking trip, and I NEVER will unless threatened. One large part of being an experienced gun owner is responsible gun handling! Typical reaction! To bad. TB

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 9:39 pm 
This is so cool! I think I've heard this discussion at least 10 times, but never when BPJ has spelled responsibility correctly. up.gif It's almost as if I'm hearing the debate for the first time. suuure.gif

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 9:52 pm 
Yes, but unfortunutley, it is balanced out by Craig spelling "is" wrong.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 10:53 pm 
You know back in the middle to late '70's there was a program that you guys would have fit into perfectly! Dean Martin's celebrity roast! Bloody comedians that THINK they are, too damn funny for your own good! Ha ha ha! BUMS! TB

Mr. Responcible

Mr. Responcible
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 11:21 pm 
Frankly, I micc the good ol' dayc of being irresponcible in the wildernecc.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 11:36 pm 
Respectfully, I GIVE up! Mother! TB

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 12:03 am 
It is kind of amazining that people who cannot even spell are allowed to have deadly weapons. dizzy.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn