Forum Index > Trail Talk > Do you carry a gun on backpacking trips?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 11:35 am 
Wow, three pages already . . .
Backpacker Joe wrote:
It's called the second amendment to the United States constitution Mal!
Hey BPJ, didn't you read that case I sent you. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals says the right to keep and bear arms to which the Second Amendment refers is not an individual one. Now you and I may not agree with that, but until some other (mostly) guys in black robes say otherwise that is the rule here in the 9th Circuit where we live. LINK It says "The amendment protects the people's right to maintain an effective state militia, and does not establish an individual right to own or possess firearms for personal or other use." MalCon and I were on opposite sides of this issue in another thread, but this case is much harder to argue with than the older cases people use to argue that there is no individual right to keep and bear arms.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 11:52 am 
Dante, you know the reputation of that court! That court is the MOST over turned in the history of this nation! They lack legitimacy, totally. To them the pledge of allegiance is unconstitutional too! That ruling WILL be over turned like most of their turbo liberal rulings! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 11:56 am 
Hold it. Some of you guys out there are a LIGHT (weight) freaks. How does karrying a gun make your pack LIGHT? I thought those suckas was heavy. Hey Cigars aren't light either and sometimes I have brought one. Spekkcheck sucks.

Art is an adventure.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 12:02 pm 
Stefan, the gun isnt carried on (or in) the bloody pack, but on my waste! Sure it's weight, but that's why I bought an all titanium gun! winksmile.gif agree.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 12:05 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Dante, you know the reputation of that court! That court is the MOST over turned in the history of this nation! They lack legitimacy, totally. To them the pledge of allegiance is unconstitutional too! That ruling WILL be over turned like most of their turbo liberal rulings! TB
Yes. Yes. Yes. Maybe. Unless/until it gets overturned, Silveira is the law.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 12:15 pm 
Not with me it's not! You wanna see a mass revolt, just try and take peoples guns from them! There are things worth fighting for. You know that! TB

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 12:33 pm 
It is true that the ninth circuit is the most overturned court, but that is very misleading because it also handles the most cases. On a percentage basis the ninth circuit court is not the most overturned.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
El Cid The Kid

El Cid The Kid
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 1:10 pm 
Titanium... pshaw. Why, I bought me a plastic gun and it's lighter than yours, big Joe. Plus mine floats and I can cool mycelf off on a hot day. Plus it's fun for waistin' skeeters. It takes a carfull aim but like the Karate Kid with his chopcticks, I'm getting good at it. I carry it on my waste because carrying it in my pack is a lot heavier. If I drain the ammo, or drink it, it's ultra light. But then if I need it for waisting some jerks or renegade bears out there, then I'm hosed. Well, if I was really hosed I could really waste me some serious skeeters. But hoses are to heavy. So anyway, to make a long story short, I ucually keep a little ammo in my piese. What I need is a lightweight holcter to carry my piese. I'm thinking of making one out of sylnylon. Also I act responcible with it and I'll carry it as long as the second Almond mint is part of MY conctitucion. I used to carry a sword but them swordferns work just as well for intimidating bears and cougars and piranha and boogeymen. Just wave it around and they just look atcha strange-like and sashay away. Hey, does anybody use chaps out hikin'? That's part of my western heritage, so I likes to always wear my chaps (without shorts of course, to keep my butt cool).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
slappy

slappy
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 1:18 pm 
Knock it off El Kidd. My co-workers think I am strange enough without me laughing out loud at my screen. lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Dante

Dante
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 1:24 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
You wanna see a mass revolt, just try and take peoples guns from them!
You mean like the mass revolt in Australia in 2000? I think a mass revolt would be MUCH more likely if you tried to take peoples' TVs wink.gif I'm just playing BPJ. I'm done. Sorry for the thread drift. For me, the cost benefit calculus just doesn't justify carruing a gun's weight. IMO a poncho or synthetic insulating layer half the weight of a gun would be much more likely to save your life in the Cascades (assuming you had to choose). If you are going to carry an extra 12 oz. or more, I would argue there are any number of items that would enhance your safety during a day or a week in the woods than a gun . . .

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 6:07 pm 
The great point of carrying a firearm is that you probably wont ever need it. If that's the case then great, all you've carried is some weight. What's the bad about that? The problem is that if you ever do need it, and don't have it, the consequences are to great..... TB

Dante

Dante
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 7:13 pm 
To each his own. I can live with the risk and don't have any problem with other people carrying guns in the woods. Besides, if I'm with you, BPJ, I have an armed bodyguard anyway wink.gif I still say the ris of, say, hypothermia is greater so you'd be better of carrying a sweater. If I was going to intentionally add another pound to my load, I think I'd risk my life and opt for better food or a more comfortable bed . . .

Yee Hau

Yee Hau
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 7:15 pm 
chaps
Alot of people wear chaps on the trail. I carry a saddle with me too just in case I find a lost horse that I can ride down the trail. Why walk if you can ride? Alot of the trails in the Cascades allow horses and I expect to find a lost one someday. I hear the new chaps have rainflys but as far as I can tell they look pretty ordinary to me. Anyhow, who wants to hassle with a rainfly? On the other side you don't need nothin', but I really think you should wear shorts just so you don't scare the faster "On your right" hikers. Agree?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 7:26 pm 
When I ware a skirt on the trale instead of chaps, horse packers give me beer out of those beer boxes they put on the sides of their horses. I think it is highly responcible of them, espesially if the beer boxes are near the wastes of the horses.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Quark

Quark
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 10:58 pm 
I hike nekkid, co there'c no whar to hide a gun, 'cept in a place where it won't do no good if I get in a tuscle with a pascel of wimmen on PMS n' hafta break up a catfight or sumpin'. wait, what thread is this.....oh yeah. Guns. I think. Well, to clear up all poscible threads: I don't have a gun (don't have anything agin 'em, just don't have un is all), I don't hike alla time with only wimmen, I don't have GPS or PMS, and I'm awful curious to see if everything is opposite when the earth's magnetic field flips (I shore would like ta have dough next time around). o yeah, and spellchecker is for sissies and causes stuttering, stunted growth, and may be one of the leading causes of schizophrenia, quadrophenia, PMS and the common cold. Ooops, better stop - I might be hitting too close to home for some of yuns.