Forum Index > Trail Talk > Do you hang your food?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 1:06 am 
Well, it must have been BEEF Al, because you're definitely full of BULL! TB withstupid.gif withstupid.gif withstupid.gif withstupid.gif withstupid.gif withstupid.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 1:08 am 
Whatever. What I say about REI is all true.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 9:24 am 
I've worked there before, what you are saying isn't true! The only conservative outdoor establishment around here is Marmot Mountain Works. I worked there too. I know this because Lock Miller (the owner) is a very conservative guy! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 11:15 am 
I don't usually hang my food unless I'm out on the Olympic coast (LOTS of racoons and a few bears). Then I rent a bear can.

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 12:30 pm 
Hanging your food
Wow! I didn't expect this much response biggrin.gif I've been hiking since 1976, and in all that time I've hung my food 3 times. Once in the Enchanted Basin, once on the Quinalt, and once on the Elwah. I have never had a problem. I take my food and put in my sleeping bag stuff sack. Then I put it all in a garbage bag. Then I put it in my backpack. Then I take all my stinky dirty clothes and put them on top of my backpack. Then last but not least I take my pistol and put it on my clothes to hold them down. agree.gif This whole process takes about 3 minutes, and has workrd very well. And if you want a midnight snack you can eat without leaving your tent too. up.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Karen

Karen
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 3:34 pm 
I seem to be lucky
at least so far. In over 20 years of hiking I've consulted a compass ONCE and I am often off-trail. I don't hang my food though I did when I first began backpacking. On the coast I carry my food with me (once I've established base camp and go day-hiking) and at night put it in the tent with me. My food is dull, though. Mostly freeze-dried and not very aromatic. The racoons are the real threat along the coast -- we watched them once walk a WIRE where a food bag was hanging, UNTIE it, and let it fall to the ground. I don't carry a gun. Honestly, I don't understand "map heads" all that well. I don't understand why so many hikers will work their butt off to get to a spectacular view and then spend all their time on a summit looking at a map and identifying peaks. Maybe it's just me. I don't care what peaks I'm looking at -- as all mountain scenery is grand. I also don't understand people that stop at every trail junction and whip out their maps -- especially when the trail junctions are signed. Does it make them feel important or what? Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Karen

Karen
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 3:36 pm 
I almost forgot!
Forgot to mention that I won't go to the coast anymore on an overnight trip. I don't want to bother with the bear cannisters OR all the red tape involved these days. There's other places to go. If I do head out that way, I just go for the day. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 4:58 pm 
I do not hang food becuse bears are scared of me. In actuallity, I usually am in places where bears and large rodents do not want to live. Bears are usually at lakes where fishermen usually like to fish. Hiking to lakes are for whimpy hikers.

Art is an adventure.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 5:11 pm 
Thomas, if you are challenging my assertion about where REI Brand manufactures, or whether or not OP makes their goods in prisons, I would kindly suggest you pull your head out of your bottom and do your homework.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 5:40 pm 
Apologies but I feel compelled to add to the thread drift. clown.gif Just wondering, what's wrong with prison labor?

Larry

Larry
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 6:12 pm 
Karen wrote:
Forgot to mention that I won't go to the coast anymore on an overnight trip. I don't want to bother with the bear cannisters OR all the red tape involved these days. There's other places to go. If I do head out that way, I just go for the day. Karen
Karen: I go to the coast for multi-day trips, but it's almost always in Winter. I don't bother with red tape or canisters, I just go. So far I haven't seen any ranger or been asked for my permit. Perhaps I'm on borrowed time though! toothless.gif One of these days...whammo! Pay the fine, dude! As far as hanging food, I never do. Always take in the tent or even the bivy bag with me. Perhaps I'm on borrowed time though! toothless.gif One of these days...whammo! Bear in my tent, dude!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 6:13 pm 
Miss. Allison, you made a statement,
Quote:
Matter of fact, REI isn't right wing per se, but it is far more to the right than I would like it to be
I simply replied that there was/is nothing conservative (read right wing) about REI. As I've pointed out, I worked there for a time, I know some board members, I know people that work there now. That place is lefty central! My head never actually was in my bottom, but how typical for you to talk like that! TB

Larry

Larry
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 6:28 pm 
Karen wrote:
at least so far. In over 20 years of hiking I've consulted a compass ONCE and I am often off-trail. I don't hang my food though I did when I first began backpacking. On the coast I carry my food with me (once I've established base camp and go day-hiking) and at night put it in the tent with me. My food is dull, though. Mostly freeze-dried and not very aromatic. The racoons are the real threat along the coast -- we watched them once walk a WIRE where a food bag was hanging, UNTIE it, and let it fall to the ground. I don't carry a gun. Honestly, I don't understand "map heads" all that well. I don't understand why so many hikers will work their butt off to get to a spectacular view and then spend all their time on a summit looking at a map and identifying peaks. Maybe it's just me. I don't care what peaks I'm looking at -- as all mountain scenery is grand. I also don't understand people that stop at every trail junction and whip out their maps -- especially when the trail junctions are signed. Does it make them feel important or what? Karen
Karen, I'm in the same lucky boat. Haven't used a compass in 44 yrs of hiking (since age 10.hmmm...am I giving away my age?). I do carry a compass, but I need to see if it still works. It's on a keychain thing. (Just looked...it works!). I do look at the map to find a way up some ridge or whatever, but once on the ridge I don't pull out the map unless it looks like I need to find a thread through some cliffs or other obstacle. Perhaps I'm wasting time and energy, but I usually try to pre-load the route in my mind. Makes for some innovative "wandering"... lol.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 6:34 pm 
I actually know a thing or two about the company too. wink.gif I also know a thing or two about being a liberal. moon.gif

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 6:53 pm 
Don't prisoners manufacture license plates? That is a good thing. But in Alaska the license plate they make says "The Freedom State". huh.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster