Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sol Duc Trail / Lovers Lane Trail / Loop B - 03/29/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 11:52 pm 
My goal was to finally hike up the Sol Duc River beyond the falls and photograph the river, and the weather was finally going to cooperate (or so it was predicted). I stayed in Port Angeles the night before so I wouldn't burn half my daylight getting there. I arrived at the trailhead around 8:30am and was the 3rd vehicle there. The first 0.8 miles is the hike out to Sol Duc Falls that I've done several times before, and it alone is worth the drive. It's a flat hike through old growth firs, cedars and hemlock with a carpet of moss on every surface. About half way to the falls, there's an unnamed tributary that is great for photos. I've shot this creek at least 4-5 times so far, and every time I find new photos there. It's a small creek, larger this time of year, stair-stepping down moss-covered rocks with a backdrop of trees. A downed tree was blocking the lower part of the creek this time, so I had to be creative and shoot more upstream. This was the recurring theme of the day. Just before the falls there is a cabin of some sort. It doesn't look old, so it could just be a snow shelter, although the elevation isn't much for this trail. Whatever its purpose, it now has a skylight thanks to a tree with good aim. Sol Duc Falls are at the intersection of several different trails and were a little bit off the trail I planned to take, but there was no way I wasn't stopping by. Sol Duc is a triple fall that makes a right angle just before plummeting 50 feet into the channel below. The trail crosses on a bridge above the top of the falls, so you get not only a good view of the falls themselves, but of the canyon and cliffs downstream as well. After taking photos there and grabbing breakfast, I headed up the Sol Duc Trail, which is called the Seven Lakes Basin Loop on the nearby signs. I'd intended to hike the 4 miles until it started climbing into the mountains, but I encountered snow much earlier than I expected. After climbing 3 major blowdowns in the first half mile, snow started appearing in patches here and there off the trail. After another mile and more blowdowns, the snow became intermittent, then continuous. Not being prepared for snow travel, I decided to turn back. It wasn't too much of a loss. Although the forest was nice -- a continuation of the old growth trees and moss carpet -- I wanted to photograph the river and the trail never seemed to get near it, although you could always hear it. At one point I tried reaching it off trail, but that resulted in a spill from misplaced footing crossing old blowdowns, resulting in a throbbing wrist and a bleeding finger. So I moped back to the trail and, once my finger was bandaged, back to the falls. Back at the falls much earlier than I expected, I decided to take the Lovers Lane Trail from there to the Hot Springs, then cross over and take the Loop B trail through the campground and back to the trailhead where I'd parked. It turned out to be a good choice. It follows close to the Sol Duc River downstream with some very nice views of the canyon formed by the falls. After about a half mile it crosses Canyon Creek, which is another good source of photos. There is a very photogenic footbridge across the wide creek, and upstream is a rushing 20 foot waterfall that not listed on the map. I spent entirely too much time photographing this area, but I enjoyed every second. The second creek crossing another half mile down didn't have a bridge and was nothing but slippery wet rocks. It took me several minutes to find a way across, and I'm still amazed I didn't end up floating down the Sol Duc. Beyond this, the trail got very sweet. For the next half mile I swore I was in the Hoh area. Every tree is drooping with moss, every surface covered in a thick carpet. The land was flat and had little underbrush, and was wide from river to slope. It was almost like nature was showing off. Unfortunately, the sun had decided to break through the clouds by this point, so photos were virtually impossible. rant.gif I will absolutely be coming back to this place! After another mile and several more blowdowns later, I started to hear kids screaming and playing and knew I was at the hot springs. I'd never been there before, so I didn't really know what to expect, but it was basically just a cement swimming pool. down.gif I stopped for lunch at a picnic table and checked my map, then started upstream on the other side of the river. The Loop B Trail connects the hot springs with the Sol Duc Campground and continues on to the Sol Duc Falls trailhead where I'd parked. It was wide and flat at first, but quickly became an actual river in itself. I sloshed through for 100 yards before crossing the overrun creek drainage and into the campground. People sure give you strange looks when you hike through a campground with a big pack. dizzy.gif The rest of the way to the trailhead was pretty uneventful, except that I was tired and there were a lot more blowdowns, including one that completely obliterated the trail. It took me several minutes to crawl under and over it and find the trail again. All in all, an excellent day. up.gif I could have used less sun and fewer blowdowns, but c'est la vie. I had an excellent time. It was very nice to get away from the world for a while. Photos coming shortly.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Larry

Larry
PostSun Mar 30, 2003 7:09 am 
Nice trip report, MCaver! I felt like I was there. The area around Canyon Creek and on down to the resort is a wonderful photo area! I've gotten my sorry ass up, so now I'm packing and heading for Umtanum. I'll give you a rundown when I get back.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Mar 30, 2003 12:55 pm 
Here's the hastily-edited photos. Notice the green theme.
The footbridge over Canyon Creek on the Lovers Lane Trail.
The footbridge over Canyon Creek on the Lovers Lane Trail.
Falls on Canyon Creek upstream from the Lovers Lane Trail, taken from the footbridge.
Falls on Canyon Creek upstream from the Lovers Lane Trail, taken from the footbridge.
Cliffs towering over the Sol Duc River. Taken on the bridge over Sol Duc Falls, looking downstream.
Cliffs towering over the Sol Duc River. Taken on the bridge over Sol Duc Falls, looking downstream.
Sol Duc Falls, taken from the bridge over the river.
Sol Duc Falls, taken from the bridge over the river.
Unnamed creek on the way to Sol Duc Falls.
Unnamed creek on the way to Sol Duc Falls.

dean brittain

dean brittain
PostSun Mar 30, 2003 11:29 pm 
Hey MCaver Just curious as to what kind of film you use. Do you always carry more than one kind?

mountain fresh
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 12:06 am 
No film, it's all digital. These were taken with my Olympus E-10 with a circular polarizer. Exposures were about 1 second each.

dean brittain

dean brittain
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 8:04 pm 
Wow! The fact that they could've been digital didn't even cross my mind. Were you hesitant about digital at first? I'm in the process of buying a slide scanner and printer. Currently I'm using slide film which is expensive. I've been on the fence for a bit but, the quality and range of lenses for digital SLR is growing. Nice pics!

mountain fresh
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Apr 01, 2003 12:01 am 
dean brittain wrote:
Wow! The fact that they could've been digital didn't even cross my mind. Were you hesitant about digital at first?
Not really. The immediacy of digital photography has been an invaluable learning tool. I started shooting digital exclusively about the same time I started getting serious about photography, in May 2000, so they really went hand-in-hand. I knew there were trade-offs in cost (ouch) and resolution, but they were worth it. I saved the money in the long run by not having film and development costs, and the resolution was fine with what I wanted to do with them -- put them on the web. I upgraded to a 4mp camera about 2 yeras ago, so I can print high quality 11x14 images, which is good enough for my intentions. And the cameras get better every year. It's been interesting to read how many pros have switched to digital processing and printing. They're just waiting for the cameras to get a little better, then most I've read about plan to switch to a completely digital setup.
dean brittain wrote:
Nice pics!
Thanks! smile.gif Hopefully, I'll have my website online in the next week or so with all my best shots.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Apr 01, 2003 12:06 am 
You mean you're actually gonna update your picture website? tongue.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Apr 01, 2003 12:08 am 
Tom wrote:
You mean you're actually gonna update your picture website? tongue.gif
Tell me about it. huh.gif That's the plan anyway, and I'm making good progress. It's only been, what...2 years? dizzy.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Apr 02, 2003 12:44 am 
Another photo from the hike...
Cascade and Fern, Unnamed Creek
Cascade and Fern, Unnamed Creek