Forum Index > Trip Reports > Teiger Dreams
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Dec 04, 2010 2:23 am 
"If we do not find anything very pleasant, at least we shall find something new. " -Voltaire For those who want the up to date trip details scroll to the bottom part of the story. Trip Stats: Elevation Gain: Up to the Sky Distance: Hecka Far! Time: Forever! Shesh that took a long time! Summits: West Side, East Side Before this year I have never climbed the Tiger. I've heard and known about it for many years, I finally got my first Chance to go up it January 2010. We summited in a afternoons work, and then went back down. When Priscilla and I were on the ride home it was the first time I had heard of the Amazing Fred Becky Story. Legend has it tht it went like this. Fred Becky comes back from his climb and is on the drive home with Priscilla's friend Becky sees a McDonalds, "Wait! Stop! I want my sundae!" she replies "We ain't stoppin" "I said I want my sundae" Becky says now more enthuesiastically. She replies "We ain't stopping!" "I wannnt my sunnndae!" "Go get your da** sundae" Fred Becky was kicked out of the car and some how he had managed to figure another way home.
To this day when I go to a McDonalds and want my Sundae I think of Fred Becky. And I thought I was passionate about my cookies? Anyways then later that year came my second go at West Tiger. This time it actually had a legitiment challenge for me. It started when Type E invited me on a trip which I of course said yes. My brother thought of a neat idea, what if I could get my dad to drive. I almost never see him, which it would be neat to get a favor from my dad, he agreed. In the morning he had forgotten to set his alarm, so I called to wake him up. He hurried over, as we drove to Issaqua it was late, I wondered if I would get to Type E in time. Dad left the scene, and I searched around the bus station and could not find him. "Well I don't blame him, I mean why would he still be waiting here after 52 minutes of being late" which I knew I had a choice, "I could go home and have a relaxing day or..." looking over my shoulder "I could make the best of adventure today".
I decided I would hike on over to Tiger Mountain or Squak depending on what was accessible for me (I did not know the area too well at the time). After walking down the road a ways I got to the trail that said poo poo point which I decided it would be a fun detour. When half way up it I was a bit tired already, "Man am I really out of shape? Or is my tireness getting to me?" I wondered. I had not gotten much sleep that night. I know I was not out of shape because I climbed Mount Hood and Saint Helens shortly after this trip. After Poo Poo Point things got a little more interesting, the trail was much thinner with bushes and spider webs. I did not see another person on the trail either, but it felt nice dashing along in the woods. The down side was I was solo, but it was still fun.
Eventually I reached the top of Tiger 3 and 2 which there were quite a few birds out and about, aggressive to steal your food too. Now I'm sorta confused whether I traversed over to East Tiger because I dropped a bit and it felt like a while heading East until I got to the next summit which also had towers. I took a back road going East and then branched out North. I noticed it was starting to get late in the day so I dashed down the rest of the way. When I got to the bottom I had a hard time figuring out how to find a way to get onto the road because there were properties in the way. I ran a little bit up a fork which was wrong, so I then decided to run through some bushes until I found a random road. Then I still had trouble figuring out the way, I walked past a house with a dog barking at me, I sure hoped he would not go after me, thankful I was safe (yes I'm still a bit paranoid of Dogs ever since the Prairie Mountain Adventure). I then found the road that went to Preston, from there I had to take 4 bus rides to get home. All in a days work, but it was certainly not easy, I must have went at least 15 miles, this was like a large traverse.
Then in Late November Eastking and Chance wanted to go for a trip Saturday which we decided on East Tiger which would be a nice little outing. On the drive there we drove over some black ice which we slid, which we thought of the wrecked car we saw on the way. Fortunatley we did not run into much of that later on. The snow was not bad at all near the top, a few inches of snow. This time on Tiger was amazingly easy in comparisen with the last time I went up Tiger.
The next day Chance had Michael and I come along for a Mount Si trip which we went up via the old trail. It was a nice little work out and a good little get out trip. When we got near the top there was some interesting little beauty patches and slight clearings.
When we got to the table (near the Haystack) we had snacks, the air was getting cold, my hands were getting chill, this meant it was time to bail. It was so nice to have warm feeling in my hands again (I should really be wearing better gloves this winter season, so next time I'll be prepared). When decending the snow was felting rapidly so it created a mist all around, and sun beams came about making the atmosphere quite interesting. These were some fun adventures, today I got more adventures calling.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Dec 04, 2010 1:20 pm 
Looks like you had a fun day out. Is Teiger Mountain near Mt. Sei? wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Dec 04, 2010 2:05 pm 
Gotta say, you do have an eye for taking good photos! Was that little mole looking critter in the snow killed by a flying boot??

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Dec 04, 2010 2:35 pm 
Teiger...haha love it.

Tangeman
ride the storm

Tangeman
ride the storm
PostSat Dec 04, 2010 6:44 pm 
Teiger Dreams? Sweet, just read that book. How much truth is to that Beckey story?

"Civilization is a nice place to visit, although I wouldn't want to live there." My photos
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Dec 04, 2010 8:21 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Gotta say, you do have an eye for taking good photos! Was that little mole looking critter in the snow killed by a flying boot??
Thanks! As for the mole, we randomly found it on the ground. I was told to name this trip report "Death on Lhotse" but I figured everyone here would go crazy if I did name this trip report that.
Tangeman wrote:
Teiger Dreams? Sweet, just read that book. How much truth is to that Beckey story?
I actually have not read the whole thing. embarassedlaugh.gif Perhaps some other time. As for the Beckey story, I was told it by a friend of mine, but it sounds like it actually happened, it certainly made for good laughs. To this day I have a few of my friends saying "I want my sundae!". To bad the internet does not have voices because if it did, I would do it in old geezer style like I was told it, but it was passionate at the same time. I heard of some of his style which made it believable. @Mossy M0m I could have used the flash setting but I did not think much on the lighting part of the photo. I should have gotten more sleep before the trip (the Tiger Mountain Traverse). I'll have to consider it in the future.

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 12:23 am 
Hecka Far!!!! lol.gif Sweet TR Josh. Good to see you getting out!

North by Northwest
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostWed Dec 15, 2010 10:58 pm 
This is a good report Josh! up.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Dec 16, 2010 2:17 am 
You really take great pictures. I am envious -- I try hard, but mine don't come out as nice. If I had any advice, it would be to apply a little more editing and post fewer repeats and variations of the same shot.

Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostThu Dec 16, 2010 7:21 am 
Nice! Enjoyed the TR and pics Josh. hockeygrin.gif up.gif

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." -Helen Keller
Spotly

Spotly
PostThu Dec 16, 2010 12:24 pm 
Thanks for the nice TR Josh. I've never been up there before, though we have always thought it might be a good hike to try on our way over to the coast for our winter romp. I love that Voltaire quote too.