Forum Index > Trip Reports > Umtanum Ridge 3-30-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Larry

Larry
PostWed Apr 02, 2003 7:26 am 
Karen wrote:
This was taken last year -- probably in late April. Can't wait to get back there. Karen
Nice image, nice shadows across that old river meander that looks sort of like a crater. Yes, Karen, it looks like you took that shot in late April. Actually, April 23rd about 8:15 or 8:20 am. (Larry applauds himself for his wonderful correct guess of the time and date...and feels warm and fuzzy with himself for BEING so correct all the time). It sure is nice to have that environment so close to us, and to be able to have the opportunity to "switch gears" if the weather is not so good on this side of the mountains.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Apr 02, 2003 7:59 am 
Thanks for sharing the great pictures, everyone. Reminds me of my frequent forays into the canyon when I lived in Ellensburg and attended CWU. souse.gif I do recall from my geomorphology class that the Yakima River is a classic example of an antecedent stream, meaning the river was there before the hills were. At one time, the Yakima flowed through an area that was absolutely flat; hence the meanders in the river. The formation (uplift) of the hills was gradual enough that the meanders remain to this day. The area that looks like a crater probably is an old meander scar that has been uplifted above the current river level. Here's an interesting site that shows some other kewl natural landmarks in the state.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
salish

salish
PostWed Apr 02, 2003 10:08 am 
Thanks Kleet, that what I've been told about that "crater". I find this stuff fascinating. The geography of central & eastern Washington never ceases to amaze me.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Apr 02, 2003 1:39 pm 
Steptoe??
The link to geologic features of the state was quite informative. However, Steptoe Butte is named after Colonel Edward Steptoe who served in the area during the conflicts with Native Americans in the late 1850's. The small vignette for Steptoe Butte in the link provided states a "steptoe" is an isolated land mass surrounded by lava flows. Two online geology dictionaries have failed to corroborate that definition. Steptoe Butte is named after the colonel mentioned above.

salish

salish
PostWed Apr 02, 2003 3:28 pm 
Mike, my mother's grandfather fought at the Battle of Steptoe Butte, on the Indian side. This is another area I've never seen but have always wanted to visit.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Apr 02, 2003 4:59 pm 
Mike's correct. Here's the last word on Steptoe before we get too far off topic. Click here.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Karen

Karen
PostThu Apr 03, 2003 10:02 am 
Larry, Jim K, Salish, anyone ...
Did you find the old car on the ridge? I've got a photo of it somewhere. If I find it, I'll post it. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
JimK

JimK
PostThu Apr 03, 2003 10:19 am 
Karen, I don't recall ever seeing a car on the ridge. I did dig through old photos to find one of the old building at the high point. Now it is just a cement foundation and some broken boards. For some reason I never took a close up of it.
Umtanum Building
Umtanum Building

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Apr 15, 2003 5:50 pm 
JimK wrote:
Cliff, It sure looks like an impact crater from up on the ridge. Either that or one humongous excavation. I guess it could have been a meander but it's hard to envision. Here is a better photo from page 3:
Crater View
Crater View
I thought this was a fasinating feature so I did some work and came up with this perspective. NN
YAKCRATER
YAKCRATER

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Larry

Larry
PostTue Apr 15, 2003 9:09 pm 
NN: I love that greytone shaded relief. What program is that?

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 4:56 am 
Try this. MicroDem NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 5:35 am 
Thanks, NN. I'm downloading it now. It looks like a lot of interesting fun.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 6:38 am 
Then..... Go here Free Stuff and pick a state and then county. Use the green button for free download. That was made using the 24k DEM. Have fun!! NN

Larry

Larry
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 7:28 am 
Very nice, NN. I'm also downloading...only 5 hours to go! Guess I'll leave this computer on while I'm at work today...haha! I have another DEM conversion program, called Terragen, that was given to me by a friend in the Netherlands, Kees Veenebos. He does some great work for NASA and others on 3D renderings of Mars, using MOLA data of the Mars Global Surveyor and NASA PDS files, Terragen, 3DEM, Campath, Bryce 4 and VideoMach, a video builder. You might take a look at his website, here: http://www.space4case.com/index/index1.html

salish

salish
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 8:52 am 
Newbie Newt wrote:
I thought this was a fasinating feature so I did some work and came up with this perspective. NN
Wow, thanks Newt. That's better than the Terraserver pic I saw a couple of weeks ago. Most of the folks I've spoken with insist have told me this is a meander, but it sure looks weird, doesn't it? Great pic. Thanks.