Forum Index > Trip Reports > Umtanum Ridge 3-30-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 8:54 pm 
We use the DEM's at work for drainage basins, runoff and wetlands. Amazing what programs can do. I must thank you folks for this thread. After seeing the photos, reading about the flowers and seeing the relief of the *crater*, I took a run over to have a look see for my self. Hiked up the creek and took some photos. Darn beavers are pretty wasteful. All kinds of trees down and untouched. Lots had been started but never fallen. No wildlife in sight and only met 2 others on the way out. When I got back to the bridge I hiked up to the ridge for a look see. Now I have my own photo of the river and *crater*. I find it hard to believe the river meandered there. Just doesn't fit the picture well in my book. Awesome view with some flowers out and about. I expected more. I'm not whining 'cause there were enough. Had to cut the hike short as the big black cloud was a rolling my way. It started coming down as I crossed the bridge. Have a question... anyone hike the ridge that goes up along the south side Umtanum Creek? I see there's a trail up to it but didn't have time to check it out. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 12:01 am 
yakima gorge
Here is my contribution to craterology. After studying petroglyphs in the area showing many natives with stones in each hand, I came to the conclusion that 10,000 years ago they had built an amphitheater here in which the original rock concerts were held.
crater
crater

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Larry

Larry
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 8:41 am 
polarbear- wrote:
Here is my contribution to craterology. After studying petroglyphs in the area showing many natives with stones in each hand, I came to the conclusion that 10,000 years ago they had built an amphitheater here in which the original rock concerts were held.
Polar: Let me be so bold as to pay homage to your conclusion regarding the original rock concerts. Perhaps the Paleo-Indians were driven out of the Gorge at George because of the jökulhlaups, and that might be the reason for carving out the Yakima Amphitheatre by hand on the part of the Indians. One has to wonder now, what the Paleo-Indians would have thought of our current concert venues, such as Oingo Boingo, The Cure, and Motorhead. Perhaps you could shed some light on this, Polar, based on your studies? wink.gif

salish

salish
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 4:06 pm 
NN - you are quite a guy, glad you're curious enough about something to actually drive a hundred miles over there to explore it. Wish more of my friends were like that. I agree with you about the crater. It just doesn't look like a river course, but what the hey. The trail/track you are talking about is one I've been up many times. That's my normal route up to the upper ridges when I'm hunting there in December & January. I discovered a different route this past winter, though, that takes me downstream along the RR tracks for about two miles before I head back up into the higher ridges. This new route I take brings me back out on that track to the footbridge. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 6:39 pm 
Larry, this area of study is unfortunately still in its infancy. The amphitheatre on the Yakima is one of the only sites known. This was in the back of my mind as I studied the ancient petroglyphs. I noticed that the glyphs were largely of two types. Groups of happy natives dizzy.gif , and groups of quite angry natives mad.gif . Now, as we all know, one cannot be happy and angry at the same time with the exception of when one steps off the the car sales lot with a new set of wheels, hence, I concluded that they represented the same group of people but at different moments in time confused.gif . Here is my far fetched theory: One native of entrepreneural bent decides to build the theater that will bring in natives from all around to hear the concerts. After five years of hard labor by thousands which he pays for on credit and promises, they are ready for the first concert. Tickets are sold and he believes he can recoup all his expenditures. The evening of the concert as the sun paints its swath towards the horizon, natives stream down the Yakima in canoes, thousands of them. What an event! Everyone is happy and ancient enemies sit next to each other united by that common language of mankind, music. Hours later, the concert ends and they stream back to their canoes. Suddenly they realize, that they floated miles and miles down the river, but they cannot float back up, they will have to portage shakehead.gif mad.gif mad.gif rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif Meanwhile, the entrepreneur has his bag of money and hops a raft a la the King and the Duke in Huck Finn for more peaceful climes, ultimately making it to Kenewick where he is apprehended and done in. Thousands of years later he is discovered, becomes known as the Kennewick Man, and remains a controversial figure to this day.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 7:35 pm 
I had noticed at one time some of the petroglyphs showed what appeared to be log jams. Upon further investigation I found that it was actually a canoe jam of concert goers. Another rock picture depicted someone yelling something along the lines of the Yakima river being closed because of traffic. At that point the fences were crashed down and it was a free concert. History does repeat itself. Wonder who was playing? NN aka LM

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 7:51 pm 
Thanks Cliff. Newt has been finding out that life is getting shorter and time is going faster. It was well worth the trip as I think I found an area that I fit. I have property in NE WA but it's a long drive or I'd go there more often. Like other folks, I find the east side (of the mountains) provide a much slower and relaxing pace. The wide open spaces and dry humidity are pretty good for the body and soul. I'll be back. NN

Larry

Larry
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 9:07 pm 
Polarbear wrote: I noticed that the glyphs were largely of two types. Groups of happy natives , and groups of quite angry natives . Now, as we all know, one cannot be happy and angry at the same time with the exception of when one steps off the the car sales lot with a new set of wheels, hence, I concluded that they represented the same group of people but at different moments in time . So, Polarbear...would you classify this as a petroglyph of a happy native or an angry native? Granted, I took the photo in Horseshoe Canyon in Escalante National Monument, which is about 1200 miles south "as the Goldfinch flies". I defer, Polarbear, to your exhaustive research and your powers of observation. Once you've told me your interpretation of the demeanor of the petroglyph, I will further this most productive conversation.
Petroglyph from Grand Gallery, Horseshoe Canyon, Utah 1999
Petroglyph from Grand Gallery, Horseshoe Canyon, Utah 1999

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 9:13 pm 
Ummm...I think that petroglyph just stepped off the car lot with a new set of wheels agree.gif

Larry

Larry
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 9:23 pm 
polarbear- wrote:
Ummm...I think that petroglyph just stepped off the car lot with a new set of wheels agree.gif
Okay, I see. I appreciate the observation (and the metaphor). dizzy.gif

Larry

Larry
PostFri Apr 18, 2003 8:54 am 
Newbie Newt wrote:
I had noticed at one time some of the petroglyphs showed what appeared to be log jams. Upon further investigation I found that it was actually a canoe jam of concert goers. Another rock picture depicted someone yelling something along the lines of the Yakima river being closed because of traffic. At that point the fences were crashed down and it was a free concert. History does repeat itself. Wonder who was playing? NN aka LM
NewbieNewt: I'm not completely sure about this, but I think that the "rock pictures" that you are referring to, are the seminal underpinnings of a whole genre of music that was in its infancy in that long ago era. The music was called, appropriately enough, "rock music". The petroglyphs (rock pictures) are also an indicator of the enterprising spirit of the Paleo-Indians, as succinctly denoted by Polarbear (quote: "Meanwhile, the entrepreneur has his bag of money and hops a raft a la the King and the Duke in Huck Finn for more peaceful climes, ultimately making it to Kenewick where he is apprehended and done in. Thousands of years later he is discovered, becomes known as the Kennewick Man, and remains a controversial figure to this day"). One can only conclude that the petroglyphs are actually early "rock posters", wherein the term "rock posters" does not refer to the rock that they were drawn on, but actually refers to the first free rock concerts that you have told us about, NewbieNewt. By the way, based on a broad interpretation of the petroglyphs....err, I mean rock posters...one of the groups that played on the free concert on Rocktober 4th, 9200BC, was Nine Inch 'Nads. (These Paleo-Indians had a penchant for the whimsical terms). It all fits together, doesn't it? rant.gif

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Apr 18, 2003 10:04 am 
Is the NW Forest pass required at the Umtanum Ridge TH?

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Larry

Larry
PostFri Apr 18, 2003 11:13 am 
Steve wrote:
Is the NW Forest pass required at the Umtanum Ridge TH?
Steve: No, the parking is free. I'm not sure, but I think that the camping is even free, and it's a nice little campground under the cottonwoods along the river. Out near the parking area, you can find small cacti in the gravels toward the river. A GREAT camp if you get there at late afternoon or night: Cross the suspension bridge and walk up the valley about 1/3 of a mile to where the creek has made a "cut" in the soil. To the left is a wonderful grassy level area near some Quaking Aspen and Garry Oaks, with great star views. Nice place to pitch a tent for a sneaky little overnighter close to the trail. I would definitely use a tent to avoid any bugs. Get up early, before people start coming up the trail and off you go, either up to the ridge, or up the valley. lol.gif

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Apr 18, 2003 10:23 pm 
No, the NW Forest Pass is not required to use these lands. HOWEVER...this is all state fish and wildlife land and thus the Access Stewardship Access Decal is required to park and access the lands. It's a simple $10/year decal for your vehicle. I find this to be much more worthy of the cause than the NW Forest Pass and gladly pay it every year to access thousands of sites 'by the rules'. When I get home this weekend from this vacation away from home I'll post the web site to quickly not only purchase one, but it allows you to print out the temporary pass to display until the real thing arrives. As a general rule from what I have found in visiting hundreds of locations in Eastern Washington (and similar land ownerships of western Washington) is all WDFW land will require the decal, some BLM land also will (largely due to sometimes there being a lake nestled within the BLM land that is under WDFW ownership for fishing), but many BLM lands do not, and most all DNR lands do not. The big DNR exception is the hassle to get a permit is required to hike/bike the Milwaukee RR Corridor Trail--it is a free permit, but a hassle to get it from the DNR office in Ellensburg.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Apr 19, 2003 9:40 am 
Is camping permitted up along the ridge off the trails? Thanks NN