Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What music have you been listening to today?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 1:52 pm 
I came back to GEMS to see if they caught lightning in a bottle with one song or if they had some other good stuff. I'm on about my 5th song from the KEXP performance, and dang if they all don't sound really good to me. Gonna link the whole show, it's only 23 minutes. Highly recommend listening with headphones to really get immersed in the music.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 4:34 pm 
Buffalo Cafe by Jack Gladstone CD Buffalo Cafe I just got this CD and it is a fantastic combination of music and the story of the Northern Blackfoot people. Jack Gladstone Website I guess I am not the only one who thought it great, it is produced by Lloyd Maines of the Dixie Chicks (Natalie Maines).

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 4:42 pm 
gb wrote:
the Dixie Chicks
Not sure when, probably recently, they dropped Dixie. Now they are just The Chicks. Looks like it was in June of this year. edit--they aren't the only ones, Lady Antebellum is now Lady A, except there was already a Lady A, so now they have a legal fight over the name. Is country music heading toward an identity crisis?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 4:48 pm 
GEMS has led to me to some other stuff. I couldn't find this at first on you tube because I thought the name contained a w not two v's (but it's pronounced like claws according to wiki--those deliberate misspellings can be confusing). Apparently capitalizing all the letters in the band name is the thing to do for this kind of music.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jul 18, 2020 2:56 am 
This song goes way back, some debate on who actually wrote it. Been recorded over and over and over again by a who's who of musicians. I'm pretty sure it was originally meant to be a sad song, over the years it got turned into a kids lullaby and a happy song. This version puts the somber back into it. I've heard a bunch of her covers over the years, lovely voice.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jul 18, 2020 12:05 pm 
Haim's videos are always entertaining. Good thing the music career is working out because it looks like you do not want Danielle to be your waitress.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jul 18, 2020 10:34 pm 

Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 11:44 am 
My son's band opened for Heart years ago. I think it was at gasworks park. Those ladies can sing.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 12:26 pm 
Washakie wrote:
I think it was at gasworks park.
Seattle Peace Concerts? I'm part of that operation these days - I have a good sized PA, drum kit and all the fixings for a rock concert. So I've MC'ed one of the dates for the last 10 years. Not looking good for this years dates. Next year will be the 50th anniversary. Hopefully we will be back to live music in the parks by next summer...for now its all social distanced backyard concerts. We put on a show for my neighbors last week. Drives my wife crazy, my hobbies all include lot and lots of stuff. Hiking/backpacking gear is all over the living room right now, intermingled with my musical equipment. But she has no room to talk, a school teacher with all her stuff strewn throughout the house. Clutter bomb exploded. Our house is our clubhouse, not a Better Home and Gardens show piece.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 11:14 pm 
I can't remember who put the show together. It's a good venue for a summer concert.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 10:22 am 
Don Glenn(RIP) the founder of the Peace Concerts, was very proud that in the early days he would get big acts like Heart to play the shows, now its just the smaller local acts doing free concerts in the park. A few years ago he got Randy Hansen to do his Jimmi Hendrix act out on the Magnuson Park water front.
Washakie wrote:
It's a good venue for a summer concert.
I ran a show at Gasworks last year, in late Sept, the wind blew and the rain fell. But we were under the cover of the Gasworks picnicking gazebo. It is by far my favorite of the Peace Concerts venues. Lots of walk by traffic and a solid cover. We were supposed to play at the Magnuson Park amphitheater this year but it just got cancelled.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Washakie

Washakie
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 1:25 pm 
Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch.... He mentioned Jimi,,, I bet I am the only one on the site to have seen him perform not only once, but twice. One of the most original rock performers.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 1:55 pm 
these two?
wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 11:17 pm 
You might want to bring the volume down a bit to savor this. ~z "Teardrop" is a song by English trip hop group Massive Attack. The song was released as the second single from the group's third studio album, Mezzanine, on 27 April 1998. In the United Kingdom, it peaked at number 10, becoming the group's highest-charting single and only top-ten hit in their native country. It reached number one in Iceland and became a top-twenty hit in Australia, Ireland and New Zealand, as well as in Denmark in 2012. Lyrics and vocals are by Elizabeth Fraser, formerly lead singer for the Cocteau Twins.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 11:34 pm 
zephyr wrote:
You might want to bring the volume down a bit to savor this. ~z "Teardrop" is a song by English trip hop group Massive Attack. The song was released as the second single from the group's third studio album, Mezzanine, on 27 April 1998. In the United Kingdom, it peaked at number 10, becoming the group's highest-charting single and only top-ten hit in their native country. It reached number one in Iceland and became a top-twenty hit in Australia, Ireland and New Zealand, as well as in Denmark in 2012. Lyrics and vocals are by Elizabeth Fraser, formerly lead singer for the Cocteau Twins.
. .
That's funny, I was just thinking about them and the whole trip hop scene earlier today. I like this song a lot, also "Angel" by them.