Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What music have you been listening to today?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 1:18 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
zephyr wrote:
A family friend bought me tickets to E.J.'s performance at the Greek Theatre in Griffith park.  I was only a few rows away from the stage.  It was an amazing experience in such a small historic venue (photos) ...I tend to like his earlier music better.  He's a complex artist and I have no idea how true-to-life the biopic is.  But this particular scene with this particular song was powerful and subtle at the same time.

I saw him around the same time, Z, in Buffalo, NY, in a much larger venue.  Amazed that he would come to my (relatively) small hometown.  I don't know for sure, but that was likely due to the efforts of (believe it or not) Harvey Weinstein.  At the time he was living in Buffalo and getting his start in show business as a rock concert promoter (aka "Harvey and Corky Productions").  I'm with you re preferring EJ's earlier music.  Seem to recall hearing/reading somewhere that EJ mostly approved of that film.  I'll have to look at it soon.  Heard an old NPR interview w/him recently.  He's quite self-effacing about his life trajectory.

In re "The Crown" - It's playing on Netflix, and I'm not that interested in the royal family, but was curious how they portrayed all the Diana stuff ... so I watched the last few episodes only.  I thought it so well done that I began to watch it from the beginning.  What I'm really appreciating about it is that indirectly, it's a good history lesson.  I found myself going to Wikipedia a number of times to learn about the individuals and events portrayed in the early 20th century.

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 1:20 pm 
A pause for a "seasonal" tune.   Some (probably few) will remember that excerpts from this song by a strangely-named band I'd never heard of, was used as the background music for an L.L. Bean Christmastime commercial.  I liked the sound of it so well that I researched on Google to ID it:

It seems to fit the times now; an upbeat reminder that things will get better, even if you feel like the "windows are painted shut".

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 8:52 pm 
Just a bit more thread drift...

Anne Elk wrote:
so I watched the last few episodes only.  I thought it so well done that I began to watch it from the beginning.  What I'm really appreciating about it is that indirectly, it's a good history lesson.

Yes, definitely.  They do  a great job of recreating the era.  It's like stepping into a time machine.  Great storytelling, lots of subtlety and detail. I even remember hearing or reading of some of these events while growing up.  ~z
Waterman

Waterman

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 2:29 pm 
Thanks for that Russian vid. Followed to a site Playing for change, on utube. A new place to spend hours.

--------------
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 10:22 pm 
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostThu Dec 31, 2020 9:18 pm 

A phenomenal performance at Wembley Stadium in northwest London, July, 2000--One Last Time Live in Concert.   "Proud Mary" starts out slow and easy.  Then around minute 04:20 the stage explodes with energy. 
Embiggens nicely.   Enjoy.   ~z
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 5:24 pm 
"Glenfern" is a beautiful soothing song from Kathleen Edwards, which led me to some of her earlier stuff, including an Austin City Limits performance.  "Options Open" is also getting a lot of current play.

--------------
"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go."
(Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart)

"Sometimes you're happy.  Sometimes you cry.
Half of me is ocean.  Half of me is sky."
(Thanks, Tom Petty)
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108

Thundering Herd
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 2:55 pm 

--------------
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing"  - Albert Einstein
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 9:00 pm 
Time to warm up this cold, wet evening.       ~z

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman

Itís a Slugfest!
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 11:09 pm 

--------------
ďThe jerking motion of a knee does not reflect the operation of a mindĒ  Slugman, January 24th 2020
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 6:54 pm 
Can't get enough of Laura Lace shredding on the guitar playing classical pieces.  Sometimes solo and sometimes w/ Victor.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 9:36 pm 
The negativity and cursing is unnecessary in this thread.  To avoid ads, wait a few seconds and most can be skipped.  Just don't click Play until they pass. 

V
V
V
cdestroyer

cdestroyer

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 3:57 pm 
F*** youtube... they put nothing but ads on their sites now....I dont need sex aids!!!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 20, 2021 4:13 pm 
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker

Have camera will use
PostThu Jan 21, 2021 12:30 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Can't get enough of Laura Lace shredding on the guitar playing classical pieces.  Sometimes solo and sometimes w/ Victor.

Those were great! Thanks!

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!"
Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani/albums
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What music have you been listening to today?
  Happy Birthday peppersteak'n'ale, lookout bob, chiwakum!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: