Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Seahawks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 1:13 am 
My question is this. IF there is NO bias against Seattle then why do we have the toughest schedule (as the loser of the SB) and the WINNER of the SB has the EASIEST schedule in all of football??? With that schedule New England is all but guaranteed to be back in the SB.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 8:10 am 
George Johnson wrote:
Darn, they had to play on Thursday in Santa Clara last year too. mad.gif
Hawks always kick butt in prime time games. I wish there were even more...

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 8:22 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
My question is this. IF there is NO bias against Seattle then why do we have the toughest schedule (as the loser of the SB) and the WINNER of the SB has the EASIEST schedule in all of football??? With that schedule New England is all but guaranteed to be back in the SB.
All but 2 games of every schedule are totally pre determined regardless of finish. It is only 2 games that make any difference which are based on your placement in the division. Every year you play one division (besides your own) in the NFC (total of 4 games), and one division in the AFC (total of 4 games) plus your own division twice (total of 6 games) for 14 of the 16 games. Then there are two games from two other rotating divisions in your conference where the opponents are based on where you finished in your division. I.E. This year Seattle plays The Cowboys and the Panthers (because they all finished first in their division). Likewise Arizona (who finished 2nd plays the 2nd place teams in those same divisions in this case Eagles,Saints). So it is not any conspiracy on who the opponents are. It is all pre determined. Voila you get 16 games that are anything but arbitrary or selected subjectively. It's not like the NFL says, we hate this team so we are going to make them play these teams etc, or we want this team to win so we are gonna give them easy opponents. It isn't possible. Where the NFL can play games with the schedule is when the games occur, home and away, if you have to play in London, and when you have road/home games and your bye week. IMHO the NFL did Seattle a big favor by giving them 5 prime time games (3 prime time road games) since Seattle is great in prime time (home or away). Seattle bye week is week 9, which is probably about right (last year it was week 4).

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 10:33 am 
That still doesn't answer how one team could have the toughest schedule and the other could have the easiest! Shouldn't the Pats have a tougher schedule because they WON the SB?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 10:47 am 
NE gets in the playoffs so often and have relatively weak schedules because they're in a weak division.

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 12:30 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
That still doesn't answer how one team could have the toughest schedule and the other could have the easiest! Shouldn't the Pats have a tougher schedule because they WON the SB?
It just doesn't work that way. It's all arbitrary and based on a rotation of who you play regardless of how good or bad you were in the previous year. Not saying it's right but it's just the way it is and has been forever. It's all predetermined. In fact you could predetermine the schedule out many years for any team with the exception of the 2 games based on where you finish in your division.

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 12:32 pm 
George Johnson wrote:
NE gets in the playoffs so often and have relatively weak schedules because they're in a weak division.
A lot of truth to that since you always get to play your division rivals twice (which accounts for 6 of the 16 games). So if the other 3 teams in your division suck you will have an easier schedule. They would have to re-scramble the divisions or change something, which is about as likely at this point as Russell Wilson playing major league baseball for the Texas Rangers...

JPH

JPH
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 1:44 pm 
Just imagine playing in a division SO WEAK that the division champ got to host a playoff game with a 7-9 record... huh.gif

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 2:01 pm 
A conspiracy against the seahawks sounds so much more plausible (and entertaining) than this fishy magic theory you speak of! smile.gif

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 5:31 pm 
JPH wrote:
Just imagine playing in a division SO WEAK that the division champ got to host a playoff game with a 7-9 record...
Things changed quickly in the NFC West since the 2010 season. It's been transformed from what had been of the weakest divisions to what's been one of the strongest.

JPH

JPH
PostThu Apr 23, 2015 7:48 am 
The point being that it's cyclical and I'd say overall, the NFC West is currently on more of a downward trajectory.

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostThu Apr 23, 2015 10:11 am 
49ers for sure! winksmile.gif but the Cardinals, Rams, and Seahawks should be strong.

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostWed Apr 29, 2015 9:22 pm 
Seacocks have no class!

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Apr 29, 2015 9:28 pm 
Oh, and you do???

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat May 02, 2015 10:05 am 
Footballs are vaguely egg shaped. Seahawks are birds, theoretically. So, he mimicked laying an egg. A penalty for using the ball in a celebration, that's all. 'No class' is what a non thinker says when they have no real issue to whine about. The kind of person who would be a member of a hiking site for eight years but only post about a hike one time ever.