Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Seahawks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
l

l
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 9:34 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Shacknasty Jim wrote:
Time to go watch the college championship game. Does anyone think Florida can win? Another Boise miracle, perhaps.? I don't think so.
Don't look now, but it's 21-7 Florida early in the 2nd Quarter.
I can't bear to look any longer. Wow, that's the worst performance by a Heisman trophy winner I've ever seen. Florida just had too many athletes for the Bucks. I wonder why nobody else exposed OSU this year?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 9:48 pm 
OSU hasn't been exposed. This is just one of those weird anomaly things where things fall apart, the center (or Romo) cannot hold and on this one day and inferior FL team is killing them. IF these two teams played 11/25 OSU wins 7 out of 10. That's the weird thing about bowls, teams play 12 games and we have all that evidence of how good they are and then they take off seven weeks and then play one game and then that game is all that people remember. Very weird. Look back over their seasons and watch the two teams play those dozen and it is clear that FL was the inferior team.

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 10:07 pm 
Excellent conditions, Squatch! With that power outage earlier in the day, no one had been skiing so there was still mostly untracked pow everywhere. Plus, hardly anyone knew that power had been restored, so the mountain was practically deserted. biggrin.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 10:26 pm 
Pütz-in-Boots wrote:
Randy...I'll bet you a bucket of these that the Buckeyes win! I guess I win by default though since they aren't playing USC. clown.gif
Did I say USC? lol.gif Meant Florida. Oh well, too bad we didn't bet the dollar!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 11:19 pm 
I disagree, Eric. Florida is the superior team. They played the toughest schedule in the country (look it up!), and they showed their mettle tonight. No way would I pick "THEE ohio state university" in a rematch. Ohio played a few marquee matchups, but in many ways their schedule was soft. The were indeed exposed and embarrassed tonight. As was Michigan in the Rose Bowl. The Big Ten was over-rated this year. That doesn't mean they stink, just that they were not nearly as good as advertised.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 11:47 pm 
We'll have to agree to disagree then. As I'm sure you're aware, the dubious claim that FL had the toughest schedule is made using the NCAA's formula which an oversimplification of opponent strenght and nearly useless. If you want to rank schedules try a more advanced metric like Sagarin's rankings: http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm In any event, the best team doesn't always win. We see that with upsets in the NCAA tourney every year. It's been true in college football in other seasons as well. USC probably UT beats 60% of the time. Miami probably beats OSU 80% of the time in 02 and USC was playing better than both at the end of the season. OK probably loses to FSU more often than not and UW probably should have been there instead of FSU anyway. Etc. Back on topic to the Seahawks. History shows that it is really hard to win in the Seahawks position. Teams with the home field, off the bye, and the better record almost always beat the teams that played wild card weekend. The key will be whether or not Grossman coughs it up. He's been pretty lousy for a lot of this season and is clearly the weak link on the Bears. SEA has to go at least +2, maybe +3 to win which means Hasselback has to stop throwing picks as well.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 11:59 pm 
Yes, sometimes the team widely considered to be better loses the game. But how often are they blown out, humiliated, humbled, thrashed and pounded? Florida took OSU apart on both sides of the ball, for the entire game. Ohio state made ZERO comeback in the second half after their disastrous first half. And what about that idiotic "go for it on fourth down at the thirty yard line" decision? That was the dumbest call in college football this year. OSU had just failed to pick up third-and-one, why did they think they could pick up fourth-and-one? And even if they had gotten the first down, they would still have been 70 yards away from a touchdown. "Outcoached" doesn't even begin to address how badly Urban Meyer showed up Jim Tressel. All of Ohio must be cringing right now after all the talk about how Florida didn't even belong in the game. Maybe the title game should have been Florida against USC? hmmm.gif (sarcasm).

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 12:13 am 
Eric wrote:
History shows that it is really hard to win in the Seahawks position. Teams with the home field, off the bye, and the better record almost always beat the teams that played wild card weekend.
Don't know what history books you're reading, but they're steering you wrong. Look at last year: the Bears lost at home after a bye week, as did the Colts. Doesn't seem like 50% is "almost always". hmmm.gif Yes, the year before all four teams won at home after the bye week, but the year before that was another 50% year. So, four of the last twelve teams to open at home after a bye week have lost. (The year before the last three was another 50% year, making the four-year total 6 upsets in 16 games). (all stats mentioned above are from NFL.com).

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 12:53 am 
Now you're just arguing to argue. rolleyes.gif Your data suffers of course from small sample size problems. Historically home teams off a bye in the divisional round win 70% of the time. If it makes you feel better though, I'll re-phrase from "almost always" to "usually".

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 9:05 am 
Florida KILLED OSU. Wasnt even a game.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 9:20 am 
Slugman noted
Quote:
And what about that idiotic "go for it on fourth down at the thirty yard line" decision? That was the dumbest call in college football this year. OSU had just failed to pick up third-and-one, why did they think they could pick up fourth-and-one?
I have to agree, stupid call. Not making it effectively ended the game right there for OSU. I think not playing for 51 days is also stupid. I liked it when the last game of the season was on New Years day. Before we know it, they'll be playing into Feb. Seahawks vs Bears? Of course I hope for a miracle but it'll take an OSU type meltdown for the Bears to not win at home. Still.....

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Andrew

Andrew
PostWed Mar 26, 2008 11:37 am 
Looks like we signed Marcus Trufant to a six year deal. Glad we wrapped him as well as Tatupu to long term deals.

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostWed Mar 26, 2008 3:25 pm 
up.gif I waited on Marcus and his wife when I worked at the Bellevue Cheesecake Factory. Nice guy, beautiful wife, and good tipper! Not a bad football player, either.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostWed Mar 26, 2008 6:07 pm 
This is good news. I think Marcus is a class act and on his way to being among the elite CBs in the league. I have to admit, I missed the Tatupu deal news. How many years did we wrap him up for? Also, does anyone know when Leroy Hill's contract is up? He and Lofa were the same recruiting class were they not? He is so dang underrated. On any other team he'd be a Pro-Bowler but he happens to be part of the linebacking corp that includes Lofa and Julian.

fjoro

fjoro
PostWed Mar 26, 2008 8:21 pm 
Tatupu's contract runs through 2015. Forever, essentially. Apparently several contracts were restructured to accommodate Tatupu, and hopefully Hill. We'll need Hill longer than we'll have Peterson, so hopefully it's part of the plan. See where we're having Olindo Mare for a tryout? That can't be good.

How would Horatio Alger have handled this situation?