Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > To trade your car to another person and not a dealer? And, Awd vs mpg lessons learned, maybe.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Oct 16, 2023 4:26 am 
Just curious if this exists and if there's an app? It seems dealers don't care about 'your history (personal stuff) and or extra parts you have. I traded a car and had valuable history, they only seemed concerned with numbers. The car I bought, I wanted it's history but only got a Carfax. Extra car parts like mats, nope. It seemed as if I traded to a person I would have gotten a more personal trade. Ya know? Just curious at this point. I just paid off my spacious awd that gets just ok mpg. I know, I should have bought a Forester... Or maybe I need a therapist? lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Oct 16, 2023 9:58 am 
Craigslist? Just be mindful of the common scams.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 16, 2023 12:10 pm 
Craigslist is my first thought too. "There should be an app" isn't really a programming problem, it's a getting enough people to use it problem. That's why Craigslist comes to mind, as skeezy as it is; people are buying and selling cars there right now.

catsp

catsp
PostMon Oct 16, 2023 1:24 pm 
Brucester wrote:
It seems dealers don't care about 'your history (personal stuff)... I traded a car and had valuable history, they only seemed concerned with numbers. The car I bought, I wanted it's history but only got a Carfax.
Same thing happened to me last time I traded in my car. For example, I tried to tell them about the many trailheads the car and I had visited together (with pics to back everything up), and a couple of the funny situations we had gotten ourselves into (and out of fortunately!). I even pulled out the visitor log I keep in the glove box showing the various guests the car had dutifully transported (I'm not going to drop names, but there were a couple in there that might surprise you). You're right, they didn't care about any of it. Just the numbers. Very frustrating. I still ended up just trading it in instead of trying to sell it to a private party though, mainly because (ceteris paribus) I wanted the offset to the sales tax.

Chief Joseph
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Oct 16, 2023 5:30 pm 
I was lucky and found a sympathetic buyer--my youngest son, who wanted the car for his youngest son, who was graduating from high school. I knocked 20% off the price as an additional present for the graduate, but I still got a lot more than I would have from a dealer. And since I sold it because I had to give up driving (old age), lots of extras were included. Including, despite lots of vacuuming, plenty of dog hair from my late, still-lamented Hysson (in my avatar).

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey

sarbar
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 17, 2023 4:41 pm 
catsp wrote:
Same thing happened to me last time I traded in my car. For example, I tried to tell them about the many trailheads the car and I had visited together (with pics to back everything up), and a couple of the funny situations we had gotten ourselves into (and out of fortunately!). I even pulled out the visitor log I keep in the glove box showing the various guests the car had dutifully transported (I'm not going to drop names, but there were a couple in there that might surprise you). You're right, they didn't care about any of it. Just the numbers. Very frustrating. I still ended up just trading it in instead of trying to sell it to a private party though, mainly because (ceteris paribus) I wanted the offset to the sales tax.
if the seller tells you a story about the item you're buying, send them a picture or note once it's in its new home People often have to sell belongings that are infused with memories and sentimental value. If they share the history/story of something you're purchasing from them, even if it's "just" a rusty shovel, you'd be doing them a kindness to share in return a glimpse of the item's next chapter. Then their story can end with "the guy I sold it to is using it to plant a pollinator garden!" instead of "I sold it." https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/1799uoq/lpt_if_the_seller_tells_you_a_story_about_the/

day_hike_mike
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 17, 2023 8:15 pm 
Buying and selling on Craigslist/Marketplace/Autotrader, etc can yield good results. But it is significant work and you have to know what to look for. If you lack the mechanical skills and tools , take it to a mechanic you can trust to give you a run down on what needs attention or might need attention soon. If you are east of the lake and are looking at a Japanese vehicle, I highly recommend the mechanic I've been using since the 90s. They have kept the vehicles in my family in good order, 1982 Corolla, 1986 Subaru wagon, 1998 Honda CRV , 2001 Camry, 2002 Mazda Protoge 5, 2013 Nissan NV200 Cargo Van, 2013 Honda CRV and even my recently acquired 1997 Toyota Hiace 4WD van (A model never imported to North America by Toyota) Eschen Automotive https://eschenauto.com/

RichP