Forum Index > Gear Talk > Waterproof hiking jackets
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
native

native
PostTue Dec 19, 2006 6:16 pm 
I just did a very extensive review of year-round hiking (or light mountaineering) jackets. I created a list of criteria I used to measure them, but it's not necessarily complete. I listed it at the bottom. I'll get to the point right off. I liked the Mountain Hardwear Backcountry Recon the best and it won for my needs. Of course I'm just one opinion, and no single jacket will suit all needs, but I've been very happy with it. I personally have a requirement for waterproofing under extremely high winds, or extreme downpours for many hours. Major vendors: - Arc'teryx - Integral Designs - Marmot - Mountain Hardwear - North Face - Outdoor Research - Patagonia - REI (mid range) - Sierra Designs (low end) Short opinions below (not a complete list, just some random thoughts): - I checked all the web sites, and some sucked really bad, like Patagonia - I called several of the vendors and was disappointed they couldn't give better answers about their own products - nobody has done a consistent approach to defining or using criteria - there is little agreement on how waterproof the new zippers are - like all things in the US people are trend-chasing from one extreme to another, meaning the fast-and-light thing seems to be overshadowing practical needs - most hood adjustments suck because of cord locations and poor locks - Arc'teryx appears to be the fashion show jacket, because of the cool factor they so desperately strive for, the extreme pricing, and the fact that they fare so poorly using the criteria below - North Face is the fading fashion show vendor, similar to Arc'teryx is now - Mountain Hardwear has something like 27 jackets and it's difficult to tell why you would pick one over the other, although all the vendors with an extensive product line have this problem - Marmot has many jackets that are hard to pick from, but mostly their zippers made me nervous for high wind situations, and they are also very expensive - Patagonia has a confusing market position, but probably win the award for ugly and bulky - it is shocking how many of these jackets have useless pockets once you put on a pack! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Price Weatherproofing - seams - zips - pockets - membrane Pockets - above belt Hood - adj cords, cord locks - fit - helmet - coverage - brim Inside - fuzzy lining, slick lining, etc - pockets - count, waterproof, bottle - snow skirt Fit - Sleeves (articulated, bent elbow) - Shoulders - Waist - Cuffs Fabric - durable (shoulders/elbows) - quiet - soft feel - breathable - stiffness (under arms) - stiffness (when frozen) - welded vs stitched - laminated 2-layer vs 3-layer Weight/Size (compressible) Style/Color

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostTue Dec 19, 2006 6:38 pm 
native wrote:
meaning the fast-and-light thing seems to be overshadowing practical needs
I've noticed that. The fast and light stuff definately doesn't stay waterproof for more than a use or two. Very unpractical. I'd rather carry the weight and stay dry!

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Dec 19, 2006 6:48 pm 
It might be useful to parce this out in a couple of ways: What's the primary use of the jacket? What type of fabric technology are you looking at? (e.g. DWR treated windshirt, 2.5 layer, or 3 layer full w/b) Because just "jacket" is a mighty broad term. In the raincoat category alone, I have at least one in each type, and use the one best suited to the needs of the day. It's not reasonable to compare a windshirt to a full-on 3 ply mountaineering jacket even though both might be worn in the rain.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Canuck

Canuck
PostTue Dec 19, 2006 8:14 pm 
I love this thread. I'm going to pay close attention to it. My brother just told me this afternoon for x-mas he is going to buy me whatever rain jacket I want. biggrin.gif So I'm officially shopping. I liked your comments, especially the use of the pockets once the pack is on. That's something I would never have thought of!! So cool. He had suggested the Arc'Teryx, but I think that's because he wants one, not me. I haven't bought a new jacket in about 5 or 6 years so I have no idea what's on the market. Thanks for this post!! up.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Dec 19, 2006 8:25 pm 
Just talking about pockets here. I have an older model of this fleece jacket. The pockets are a little higher than usual and I've had no problem getting into them with a pack on. Something to look for.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
cavey
PCESAR

cavey
PCESAR
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 1:29 pm 
Mountain Hardwear Backcountry Recon How is that jacket for overheating? How breathable is it? I use my gear for extremely wet, low elevation search and rescue, i.e. this weekend we were near Olympia, cross country in wet underbrush and pouring rain... you sweat like a mutha and everything gets soaked, but I wanna stay dry inside so when I climb in that tarp shelter at 3am in the dark, I climb in my bag dry... is this the coat for me? I have a green/black North Face but it rides funny on my shoulders. It is 100% brand new and i think i am going to just sell it to look elsewhere.

cavey
PCESAR

cavey
PCESAR
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 1:32 pm 
I like the front angle pocket here: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=1799&cat=21&viewAll=False good for a map in a plastic ziplock bag... or jerky or a radio even.

Locutus
Hiking Borg

Locutus
Hiking Borg
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 2:38 pm 
I'm really happy with this jacket. I got it with the down vest, and couldn't be more pleased with its versatility as I've used it in weather ranging from tropical rainforest to alpine desert to snowy mountains. The pockets are also accessible while wearing a pack (at least for me).

I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 3:02 pm 
This is MEC's current version of the poor weather 3-ply that I have. I've used it a ton over 4 or 5 years and it still works and looks like new. That LL Bean jacket looks pretty similar. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
cavey
PCESAR

cavey
PCESAR
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 6:39 pm 
I am leaning heavily on the North Face Varius Guide Jacket seen here: I currently have a green/black North Face Mountain Light jacket I am selling for $150 on CraigsList because it is the wrong size. I am in SAR and need something breathable and easy to move around in, but be waterproof and zip-in capatable on those crappy days. Has anyone had ANY experience with the Varius Guide jacket? I have tried it on a few times and like it, just haven't written a check yet.

Tricky
Hiker Trash

Tricky
Hiker Trash
PostWed Jan 17, 2007 2:38 pm 
?
Opinions on the Beryllium? here Think I saw Bear Grylls wearing one, or something similar, that d00d rocks! I like the looks and features. . .the pricetag not so much.

What if the hokey-pokey really is what it's all about??