Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Old Photos
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostTue Jul 09, 2002 4:21 pm 
Mt. Pilchuck Lookout?
Did someone ask for an old pic of the Mt. Pilchuck lookout a little earlier in this thread? if so, check out this photo - complete with a piper cub circling overhead. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostTue Jul 09, 2002 10:16 pm 
Tuscohatchie Lake shelter
Salish, Thanks for the link to the Pilchuck photo. I dug up one more old one. Lower Tuscohatchie Lake used to have a very nice wooden shelter. It had a fireplace and wooden bunks. Unfortunately, it was burned down some years back. Here is a photo taken exactly 20 years ago, July of 1982:
Tuscohatchie Lake Shelter
Tuscohatchie Lake Shelter

salish

salish
PostWed Jul 10, 2002 8:53 am 
Cool
Good one. Jim. I'm unfamiliar with Tuschatie Lake, but since I just bought my 1961 copy of Lakes of Washingtion (heads up to Allison) I'll take a look. Thanks. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
JimK

JimK
PostWed Jul 10, 2002 10:34 am 
Tuscohatchie
The next lake beyond Pratt Lake is Lower Tuscohatchie. The shelter was right near the outlet. There is a fishermans trail to the upper lake. I tried it on a day when the bugs were so thick that the slow progress in the underbrush was too much for me. I should try it again sometime.

salish

salish
PostWed Jul 10, 2002 12:05 pm 
Thanks Jim. Very interesting. I'd be willing to bet Brian C. or other TB'ers might have some history on this place. I hiked up in that area a bit in the mid 1970's but never it to this lake. I'd like to try for this place, also. Cliff
JimK wrote:
The next lake beyond Pratt Lake is Lower Tuscohatchie. The shelter was right near the outlet. There is a fishermans trail to the upper lake. I tried it on a day when the bugs were so thick that the slow progress in the underbrush was too much for me. I should try it again sometime.

JimK

JimK
PostSun Jul 21, 2002 9:26 pm 
Down for now
For those who have recently tried to access my pictures linked from here, they are temporarily down. Problems with my web hosting service. If the site is not back up ASAP I will switch services. Either way, the photos should be back up soon.

JimK

JimK
PostThu Jul 25, 2002 10:43 pm 
My site is finally back up with a new hosting service. All the pictures I have posted in the forum should be working again.

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Aug 20, 2002 10:14 pm 
Snoqualmie pass ski area.

salish

salish
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 12:39 pm 
Wow...
Oh man, that really takes me back. I first started skiing at Snocrummy Pass in 1964, on wooden skis with cable bindings and bamboo poles. Wish I could remember what the rope tow expense was. Does anyone even remember what a t-bar & palma were? I never knew wether to be intimidated my the palma or be sexually stimulated by it. Remember how intimidating Thunderbird was? At least it was through the eyes of a ten year old! Good photo, PB.

JimK

JimK
PostSun Feb 16, 2003 11:45 pm 
Sometime ago I posted a photo of the Stillaguamish River in Robe Canyon during the flood of 1990. I have been meaning to put up a page with a report and more photos. I finally got around to it. The photos are at: Wild Stillaguamish The power the river displayed that day is something I will never forget.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 12:42 am 
Jim, glad you could document the river in its full fury that day. I'm down in the Robe Canyon (usually during much less nasty weather!) quite a bit either doing trail maintenance on the Old Robe Trail or helping construct the new Lime Kiln Trail on the south side of the river with VOW. I've read the history detailing the floods a century ago that had the river running through some of the railroad tunnels in the canyon, which is astonishing to imagine. Like you said, the normal river level is 15-20' below the railroad grade. Your pictures really capture what this "little trout stream" is capable of! I believe the trail has been moved inland a bit near an eroding river bank just before that first stream crossing- I wouldn't want to be too near the river's edge there in high water like you witnessed. Thanks for sharing your report and pics. M&S

JimK

JimK
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 6:43 pm 
My first trip up Rattlesnake Ledge was with my brother in 1986. At that time there was no switchbacking trail. It was a real scramble. Here is Harvey Manning's description from Footsore 2: The best thing that can be said about the "trail" is that it's short. Soon comes a scramble out of the forest onto a rock nose and the first views, and thenceforth-- though the ascent is in one or another boot-eroded gully, slipery and messy, fortunately provided with many a thank-God shrubbery handhold--the spectacular airiness of the scene keeps hikers language relatively clean. Harvey lists it as 1100' in 3/4 of a mile. It made the new, about to be replaced, trail seem like a freeway. Here is my brother near the top after we were scratched to pieces on the way up.
Rattlesnake Ledge
Rattlesnake Ledge

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 7:40 pm 
I hiked the trail with my sister a couple years ago. We were sitting out on the ledge when the brush parts off to the side and out stumbles a guy that appears to have had a bit too much to drink. I didn't know about the old trail at the time but I suspect that's what he had taken to get to the top. He wandered out to the edge of the precipice and waved his hands looking down towards Rattlesnake Lake far below yelling, "Hey Darlene! I'm up here!" Fortunately he made it down ok.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 9:51 am 
The Tuschohatchie cabin was built in 1947. One guy did it as a tribute to men who died in WW2. It was BURNT partially down in 1996 I think. The forest service came in and finished the job. It truly was a shame. I spent many a night inside her. Dante and I used to hike into that cabin in the winter time and stay there. One winter we decided to hik in there and Wha-la she was GONE! I guess we should have asked about it first. You cant see the shelter in the photo from the lakes books. The upper lake can be accessed via Granite Mountain, or from the lower lake. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
JimK

JimK
PostWed Mar 12, 2003 11:24 pm 
Wallace Lake Trail
While digging through old photos I came upon some from a trip to Wallace Lake on March 17th 1991. It was a hike I did every Winter. The old logging road to the lake had narrowed down to a beautiful very gently graded trail. It was open all year long due to the low elevation of the lake. That day I hiked to the lake and around to the far side. I logged it in at 15 miles round trip with 1600' gained. Since then the road has been rebuilt. It is now a 20' wide gravel swath cut through the forest. I really miss that old trail. I have been back a few times via the gravel road but it's just not the same. There is the route from the top of the falls but a great loop trip is not nearly as nice as it was. There are not many 15 mile trips to lakes that can be hiked in the middle of winter with little or no snow. We lost one of the best.
Wallace Lake
Wallace Lake
Wallace Lake Trail
Wallace Lake Trail