Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Oct 25, 2013 9:59 pm 
America's Last Frontier: Olympic Peninsula worth the click up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 25, 2013 11:38 pm 
what a hoot! nothin' quite like terrorizing your small children for the purpose of a little film footage, eh?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSat Oct 26, 2013 7:37 am 
Thanks very much for posting this link, bobbi. It's definitely worth the click to watch this fascinating video journey around the Olympic Peninsula in the 1950s. Interesting shots of the Seattle waterfront and Elliot Bay marine traffic, the Agate Passage bridge, Poulsbo, the Lofall ferry across Hood Canal, Port Angeles and lots more. I especially enjoyed the short portion devoted to the old dirt road from the Elwha up to Hurricane Ridge and on toward Obstruction Point, apparently before the present highway to Hurricane Ridge was completed, though the film shows the Hurricane Ridge lodge, which per Robert Wood was built around the time the road from Heart of the Hills to Hurricane was built. I'm not exactly sure of the timing of those construction projects. Perhaps RodF knows.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSat Oct 26, 2013 9:34 am 
Great vid, thanks. up.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSat Oct 26, 2013 1:08 pm 
Thanks for posting bobbi!! For ferry buffs: Great footage at 1:50 of the Evergreen State when she was the flagship of the fleet on the Seattle-Winslow run, 1954-59. (But the next clip looking back at the Seattle skyline appears to be from a different boat.) At 2:20 is a scene from the Bremerton run - the Enetai, traveling eastbound through Rich Passage, as seen from the deck of the Willipa. (These two sister vessels were very similar. The telling clue is the stenciled name on the life preserver box in the lower right corner of the shot.) The vessel shown crossing Hood Canal at 2:47 is the Rhododendron. Also amazing is the glimpse of Tatoosh Island covered with all those old buildings!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
sams rapids

sams rapids
PostSat Oct 26, 2013 5:53 pm 
Thanks a lot. Those kids could have been my sister and me. We did a lot of the things in the video. We even had nearly the same car. My dad rented smelt nets from Indians. I think it cost a dollar. The table by the highway looks like the site we used, just north of Kalaloch. You could stay there for free. My dad thought he was the best at grabbing a site, just as someone else left. I can remember the dugouts at LaPush and the Hoh. We were there every summer in the late 50s for a week. What a treat to see again.

RodF

RodF
PostSat Oct 26, 2013 6:54 pm 
Hurricane Ridge Lodge opened in 1954, and was accessed only via the Elwha Road past Whiskey Bend and Idaho Camp (current Wolf Creek Trail) until the new Hurricane Ridge Road opened in 1957. (Note the signboard at 3:30 was not at Hwy. 101 as the narration says, but in front of Waumilla Lodge at the junction of the Elwha Road (now called Whiskey Bend Road) and Olympic Hot Springs Road.) I think their car is a 1954 Plymouth. So best guess on the date of this film is 1954 or '55. Anybody know where the beach cabin at 10:20 was located? It's not up on the bluff at Becker's (Kalaloch), but right down on the beach. Fletcher's Ruby Beach Resort, perhaps?

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
sams rapids

sams rapids
PostSat Oct 26, 2013 8:54 pm 
I'm sure the car is a 1954, ours was a wagon I thought Ruby Beach as well for the cottage, I do not remember it but it was the only place I could think of.

Big Time 420

Big Time 420
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 1:17 pm 
The link is bad is there another link?

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 7:46 pm 
looks like whomever placed it out there in the first place has now shut it down. sorry! i googled and got this one--haven't viewed it so America's Final Frontier: The Olympic Peninsula

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Big Time 420

Big Time 420
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 9:48 pm 
I think that's it but the sound doesn't play. It really needs sound.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 10:06 pm 
I didn't get sound either. thought maybe I was doing something wrong. it appears the ending has been cut off - see the description below the video window.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."