Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > SAT - Math
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSat Apr 05, 2003 5:38 pm 
I got this question wrong on my SAT test and have done it over and over again and keep getting the same answer. What do you guys get? If x is 20 percent greater than y, and y is 20 percent less than 500, what is the value of x + y? A. 880 B. 900 C. 920 D. 980 E. 1000

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Apr 05, 2003 6:22 pm 
I would say A, but the question does appear to be poorly worded. There are different ways to interpret 20% greater and 20% less. I interepreted it as: x = y + .2y y = 500 - .2(500) so y = 400 and x = 480

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSat Apr 05, 2003 7:07 pm 
Hmmm... Thats exactly what I did and came up with "A", maybe I filled in the wrong bubble bawl.gif . Thanks.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Apr 05, 2003 7:44 pm 
The answer is definitely "A" as the question is written. Another possibility is a mistake on the test. Those people aren't perfect. I double checked my math with my father, who has a Master's in mathematics. He says "A".

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Apr 07, 2003 7:41 am 
That must be the old SAT. My son is taking the new one. Here's some sample questions: 1). George weighs 245 pounds and drinks two triple lattes every morning. If each shot of espresso contains 490mg of caffeine, what is George's average caffeine density in mg/pound? 2). The City of Seattle decides to destroy 500 rats infesting downtown. If 6,800 animal rights activists hold a candlelight vigil, how many people did each dead rat empower? 3). A red sock, a yellow sock, a blue sock, and a white sock are tossed randomly in a drawer. What is the likelihood that the first two socks drawn will be socks of color? 4). There are 12,500 homes in Redmond and all of them recycle plastic. If each household recycles 10 soda bottles a day and buys one polar fleece pullover per month, does Redmond have a monthly plastic surplus or deficit? Advanced Placement Students Only: 5). Katie, Trip, Ling, John-Mikal and Effie share a three-bedroom apartment on Capitol Hill for $2400 a month. Effie and Trip can share one bedroom, but the other three need their own rooms with separate T-1 lines to run their web servers. None of them wants to use the futon in the living room as a bed, and they each want to save $650 in three months to attend Burning Man. What is their best option?: a. All five roommates accept a $12/hour job-share as handgun monitors at a local school. b. Ask Miles, the bisexual bike mechanic, to share Effie and Trip's bedroom for $500/month. c. Petition the City Council to advance Ling her annual digital-artists-of-color stipend. d. Rent strike. ha.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostMon Apr 07, 2003 7:21 pm 
Kleet, I can hear stand-up comedy calling your name...

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
SAT

SAT
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 9:45 pm 
if x is 20% larger than y, i.e. x is greater than y, which means y is smaller / less than x by 500 therefore x = 500 given x is 20% greater than y, y = 80% of x, i.e. y = 400 I'd say the answer for x + y = 500 + 400 = 900

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 9:53 pm 
Bah. Who cares? I don't see myself ever needing to know what x+y is equal to. tongue.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 6:57 am 
Hey, SAT, your math skills suck! How can x be 500 when it is 20% larger than y which is 400? 500 is 25% larger than 400. Also, how can y be 400 and also 500 less than x when x is 500? This would make y=0 according to you. Also, your logic train that since x is larger than y, then y must be 500 smaller, is based on no evidence or rule that you have presented. Your "therefore x=500" is also totally unfounded by math or logic. You have not addressed any portion of the question in a mathematically sound manner, and each of your assertions is easily proven false. You got y correct as pure luck, since you derived it from the false value of x instead of the "gimme" method implied by the question, where y is 20% less than 500. Don't quit your day job to become a mathematician! wink.gif