Forum Index > Trail Talk > What kind of hiking boots do you wear?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSat Apr 05, 2003 9:39 pm 
I found this picture the other day. It is a picture of me hiking up the avalanche slope on Granite Mountain in 1994. I thought it was kind of funny, note my rubber boots.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Apr 05, 2003 10:14 pm 
Funny for the galoshes, or being on an avalanche slope? winksmile.gif That's ok, my very first backpack ever 25+ years ago found me wearing some kind of Raichle Frankensteinian stiff leather mountaineering boot on an Olympic beach hike! I was foolishly talked into them by an eager REI salesman in the old creosote-soaked store. Didn't break them in at all- can you say blisters. What a dope I was/am. Now I hike in Northlake mid-high Gore-tex steel-toed hikers that I picked up for nada thru my work. They are really comfortable, supportative & not as hot as you'd think. The steel-toe is great of course for protection but also reinforces the toe area while kick-stepping on snowy slopes, etc.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSat Apr 05, 2003 10:27 pm 
The avalanche had come down and the slope was full of debis from what I remember. In my opinion on winter climbs when the chute is emptied it is much safer to climb up it then geting caught on that darn trail. It weaves around and around through dangerous stuff some times. Or if the chute is full, take the ridge! up.gif I was reffering to the boots. I would not buy anything but the best. Currently I prefer my $20.00 boots which I purchased on sale at GI Joes. They get the job done agree.gif.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Apr 05, 2003 10:29 pm 
Rubber boots, now that takes me back. We wore them when we knew we were in for lots of rain, see: http://www.alpinequest.com/bearlakerainout.htm McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Apr 05, 2003 10:30 pm 
Yeah, I hear you about the boots. Whatever works for the least amount is the ticket. I would never spend the $150 my Northlakes (not affliated with the pizza joint) cost if I had to pay for them. I've just done the ridge route up Granite in winter a few times. Once I tried the summer trail across the chute, wary because of all you hear about the avalanche potential, and naturally a modest little avalanche came softly cascading down just above me. That was enough to bag that, and besides, I know how that summer trail meanders all over the place and the ridge route is more direct, if steeper.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Apr 05, 2003 10:50 pm 
I know next to nothing about hiking boots. I'm still wearing the pair I bought several years ago for a trip to Colorado, well before I got into regular hiking. The brand is Vasque (just had to check) and they say Skywalk on the soles. They look like hell and the cushioning inside is starting to go so they cause blisters after a while. It's about time to get a new pair. These are probably a little heavy for what I need.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Apr 06, 2003 1:01 am 
Ah...rubber boots. I remember going to Mud Island (I think that's what it's called), up somewhere near Everett, with my friend when were were about 7 or 8, and walking around in the muck. At one point, it was deep enough that my boot got stuck in the mud, and my foot came right out of it. Though I have now graduated to a pair of Montrails. The bastards gave be my first ever blister on the first hike I used 'em on, but they've been broken in well now.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Apr 06, 2003 10:56 am 
I have always worn cheap department-store boots, such as Hi-Tec Oakhurst+. They are light and comfortable dry-weather dayhikers, and only cost $30 at Big 5. I just last week broke down and bought a pair of Vasque Gore-tex boots for actual backpacking and waterproofness. They were $155, but I used my dividend, (at REI), got a discount, had a gift card from Festivus, and only had to pay $70 cash. They are called Zephyr GTX, size 13. I wore them last week to White Chuck, and had no problems. P.S. - REI is having 20% off Natural High food. Their honey-lime chicken and rice is very good. The stuff stays good for about 5 years, so it pays to stock up.

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 11:29 am 
Hiking Boots
Every year I go to buy a new pair and every year I say " I can get 1 more year of use" thats been 7 years now. I hike in Richles- lol.gif very old ones

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 2:41 pm 
I have 3 pairs of hiking boots (Hey, I'm a woman!!) My main pair are LLBean KnifeEdge's that I got on clearance for $75 or so last spring-they are very nice GTX leather boots. Years ago I broke some toes on my right foot which did not heal correctly, so I have to be very careful with my boots-and I def. need a women's last (how the boot is cut). I know not everybody likes GTX, but I love it - combined with my OR Croc gaiters, my feet stay toasty dry smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 3:59 pm 
I bought a pair of Zamberlain Civettas last year that I think are mighty fine in spite of the fact that they have Goretex in them. It definitely makes them a little more toasty warm than I would like. I do not know if they were made for men or women as they do not have pink laces or a little picture of a dumptruck or any other gender-specific things. I do know that they are very well-made in a small factory in Italy, and that they were on the expensive side, and worth every penny. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 4:13 pm 
Actually, having a woman's boot can make a very big difference in fit and comfort. A women's last (how they size the boots for production) has a much narrower heel than a man's boot. Now, you cannot tell the difference at all just looking at the boots, they look the same as the men's. Though, sometimes a women's boot will be cut a little lower in the ankle, which is very comfy, I'll add!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 5:07 pm 
Lead Dog wrote:
Every year I go to buy a new pair and every year I say " I can get 1 more year of use" thats been 7 years now. I hike in Richles- lol.gif very old ones
My dad got Richles because of their crampon compatibility and got blisters for the couple years it seemed like.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 5:22 pm 
Gee, thanks, I had no idea there was a difference between men's boots and women's boots. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 5:25 pm 
It is not the brand of the boot that will make it stiff and cramponable, it is whether or not they have a full steel shank. Full steel shanks are officially recommended for use with crampons, but as anyone will tell you, crampons fit on all sorts of footwear. Not only will a full steel shank work better with a crampon, it will also give you blisters. Your foot bends, the boot doesn't.