Forum Index > Trail Talk > What kind of hiking boots do you wear?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 5:30 pm 
That is very true-You can actually make crampons fit on many types of shoes-though I wear my walking crampons only on my heaviest boots-the others are too flexible frown.gif and the crampons never fit right.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 5:43 pm 
Mens Montrail Torre GTX. Comfort right out of the box. Before that, NB 901's NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.

PostTue Apr 08, 2003 5:55 pm 
Interesting 'back and forth" between allison and sarbar. Having been around quite a few girl soccer and softball players, and having to buy "boys" shoes for my girls because that is all we could find - I'd have to agree with allison. Feet are feet. And sarbar maybe right about "woman's" boots being made narrower. But I think feet come in all sizes on both genders. Me I gots lots a boots cuz I like 'em. Guess that's my feminie side showing. ha.gif lol.gif Raichle, Koflach, Asolo, Lowa

Femme fatale

Femme fatale
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 6:32 pm 
At least you have a femme side. Allison's feet don't. Make sure you can fit tampons on your boots, that is a key feature.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
zola budd

zola budd
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 6:48 pm 
Whatever happened to hiking barefoot?
Quote:
Mens Montrail Torre GTX. Comfort right out of the box.
The Montrails are comfortable, I agree.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 7:01 pm 
Hey that South African barefoot temptress forced poor All American Girl Mary Decker Slaney to fall down and go boom in that infamous Olympic race. Mary showed her class by whining about it endlessly and pointing to her scrapes and bruises while lying on the track infield- boohoohoopoormesob. I think that performance was topped by a wide margin later, though, by our own lovable Tonya "Hubcap" Harding when she broke a skating boot shoelace during a comeback performance and bawled & begged for the judges to allow her a retry.

Larry

Larry
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 7:33 pm 
I'm looking at my boots now. They are Asolo something-or-others. Just says Asolo on the side in little plastic yellow letters. Sure are comfy though. agree.gif

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 7:50 pm 
sarbar wrote:
That is very true-You can actually make crampons fit on many types of shoes-though I wear my walking crampons only on my heaviest boots-the others are too flexible frown.gif and the crampons never fit right.
That is true you can "make" crampons fit, however, like allison said it depends on how stiff the boot is. That is why my dad got Richles, because they are relatively stiff. (Have you ever seen those groups, such as the mountaineers on Mt. Rainier, all they do is mess around with crampons because either they don’t fit, or they have the wrong type of boot and the crampons fall off) He suffered from blisters for some time, but that’s know problem, your feet will toughen up sooner or later lol.gif . It is good to have several different pairs of boots for the type of hiking/climbing you will be doing. On the other hand, my feet are still growing and fast! It is best for me to buy cheep boots and dispose of them after a season or two, then to buy top brands.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 08, 2003 11:41 pm 
Dude, you are so not old enough to remember Zola Budd! Mary Decker was my roll modle! toothless.gif An amazing athlete, and even if you think ZB didn't elbow her out of the race (SHE DID) she don' be worthy of comparison to Tonya. waah.gif I'm going to avoid commenting on Mountaineers fiddling with crampons. rolleyes.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
salish

salish
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 8:23 am 
I've been hiking in Sundowners for about three years now, and I'll have to resole them soon. They are at Dave Page's shop being stretched right now (my feet keep getting wider). This past December I bought a classic pair of those old heavy lugged Raichle boots off this site from a private party, and they are just too big for me and I can't get them to fit. I'll probably be selling them soon on Ebay. I still really like those classic Norwegian welted boots. These would have been strictly for rough, steep, off trail hiking, by the way. In the meantime I bought a pair of Vasque Apex mountaineering boots off Ebay, and I can't believe how easy they were to fit, although I did have to get Dave Page to stretch the right boot. These are brand new boots and I got them for $80. I put them on and hiked into work on Monday (five miles) and I had nary a blister. These are the full shank Apex models without the goretex, I think. So, if these work out they will be my off trail, climbing boot. I was really surprised to be able to walk so comfortably in a full shank boot. The Sundowners are fine for on trail and light off trail, but not in the ruff stuff.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
The Guy From Bend

The Guy From Bend
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 8:27 am 
For a number of years, when I was young and foolish, I wore Converse Chuck Taylor hightop sneakers. (I have strong ankles.) Did the Buck Cr. Pass - Image Lake - Lyman Lake - Spider Meadow loop in them. I remember crossing Spider Pass and running into a couple of old school mountaineer types with ropes, climbing gear, etc. Boy did they look at me like I was nuts! (Rightly so, I suppose.) Nowadays, I just wear a pair of Columbia Sportswear lightweight boots. I could never properly break in leather boots. I always got blisters no matter what precautions I took.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 10:07 am 
After a few years of use of the disappointing One Sport Moraines I now use Scarpa SL's. It's not a great boot, despite the high ratings it gets, but it's good enough for most of what I do. I also have an ancient pair of Asolo plastic boots for the glacier ascents.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Dante

Dante
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 3:29 pm 
I like my Asolo's--the one's that were a Backpacker Editor's Choice (and more importantly on sale wink.gif ) a couple years ago. They are super boots for their weight BUT after only two years of occasional hiking there is not much sole left on them frown.gif I'm thinking about trying GI desert boots for summer trail hikes. I wore out my jungle boots after I got out of the Army. The price was right and they worked fine but were HEAVY due to the spike protection. The desert boots are lighter and should be cheap.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 4:36 pm 
I have a pair of Asolo MTF 700s. Bought them in Canada. For some reason they are not available in the US. Awesome boots so far. I wanted something with more than 3/4 shank but less than a full shank. These are the boots baby! These are heavy duty backpacking boots which are stiff enough for off trail but not too stiff for the trail. My boots kick your arse!

Art is an adventure.
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 6:00 pm 
allison wrote:
Dude, you are so not old enough to remember Zola Budd! Mary Decker was my roll modle! toothless.gif An amazing athlete, and even if you think ZB didn't elbow her out of the race (SHE DID) she don' be worthy of comparison to Tonya. waah.gif I'm going to avoid commenting on Mountaineers fiddling with crampons. rolleyes.gif
Ah, Mary was alright and was a great runner. She did seem to court some controversy on the track, though, I seem to recall. Whether it was deserved or not is another question of course. Think she eventually dumped her husband of the time Slaney didn't she? Think he was a shotputter/hammer-thrower, a big guy. What an interesting couple! Did Zola go on to win that race? I don't think she did- think she faded toward the end. Probably some proto-shemale from the Eastern Bloc won going away. Remember, you're are as long in the tooth, Allison, as me if you remember all that stuff. I used to really enjoy watching the Olympic track & field events- not as much now. I'm not a runner and always made sure in P.E. (which I loved) that I at least finished ahead of the poor fat kid(s) during laps. Sad but true-kids can be so cruel. As far as Tonya H., it was unfair to mention her in the same breath as Mary Decker- that is true. I think Mary in her prime could put up an awesome cat-fight with Tonya- that I'd pay to see. She was a warrior on the cinders.