Forum Index > Trip Reports > Heybrook Lookout - Hwy 2 - 01-06-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 4:44 pm 
My first trail day for 2007 was intended to be a snowshoe to checkout Skyline Lake... but insane snow levels, crazy weather and a closed pass meant I had to switch to my 3-part backup plan. Luckilly, I was fully prepared for this possibility. My alternative itinerary included Heybrook Lookout, Bridal Veil Falls and Wallace Falls. For searching efficiency, I'm posting three different trip reports. I arrived at the Heybrook LO at about 9:30a.m. to find two other cars in the parking lot. As it turns out, a lot of people visiting this trail were doing so simply because the Pass was closed and they were keeping busy, hoping it would reopen soon. With the windstorm and severe rains now further east, the weather was cold and cloudy, with just a couple of brief sunbreaks during the hike. The parking lot had an inch or two of snow/slush. The trail was snow covered for about 80% of the trail, but it was easy to follow. There was a lot of water runoff crossing the trail in many places. Portions of the trail include series of rock steps which were nice, but more often than not had all turned into mini-waterfall cascades today. Snowshoes were not necessary, but I did get to test out my new Stabilicers. So far, they get up.gif up.gif Pretty short trip, but nice view at the top and it made a nice start for my day. Round trip was about 2.1 miles with just under 1,000 elevation gain.
View from Heybrook
View from Heybrook
Heybrook Lookout
Heybrook Lookout
View from Heybrook LO
View from Heybrook LO

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 9:37 pm 
Heybrook LO
Thank you for posting. I thought of this hike today...LOL, I was too late and lazy. Did it 3 or 4 x last winter. It is a good "alternate" hike for exercise and some view squinting. Dominent Index shuts out competition, though.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message