Forum Index > Trip Reports > Middle Fork Cascade River
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 4:02 am 
My friend Craig and I made it to the start of tiny FS rd # 1590 at 10:30. I knew from being here 6 weeks ago that the road would be driveable for over a mile, so we gave it a shot in my Subaru wagon. We made it past/through Pincer Creek, then had to stop at the next creek due to washout. Still, we saved 1.2 miles of walking. The trail starts another .3 mile down the road, giant trees right off the bat. Soon after the wilderness boundary, the junction for the Middle Fork trail is reached. This is the end of the easy going. The MF trail heads up and up, very steeply, with no switchbacks at first, then does switchback, but is still incredibly steep. The whole ascent is through moss-covered boulder fields, moss-covered forest, and moss-covered viewpoints. 1,000 vertical feet are climbed in well under a mile. At the top of the steep ascent, where the trail grade mellows, the snow kicked in for good. It was six inches at first, the deepened to about two feet as we climbed up to 3,000 ft. The trail follows close to the river with lots of good stopping places. We made it to three miles from the car, probably 1/2 mile from the end of the trail on the map. My feeling is that the South Fork is just as nice with 1,000 ft less gain and no snow. I would like to return in the summer when a little bushwacking might be rewarded with a view of Middle Cascade Glacier. The weather was a nice surprise, just cloudy with some significant sunbreaks. It poured rain all the way home in the car.
Here is a picture fairly typical of the area, with a small waterfall in the background.
Here is a picture fairly typical of the area, with a small waterfall in the background.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 4:11 pm 
I compared them side by side and I cannot tell any difference. Can you see any difference Tom? Is the resolution the same in both of them? Does the question about resolution even make any sense? I am still new at this.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
reststep

reststep
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 4:14 pm 
Tom, what happened to the picture?

reststep

reststep
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 4:19 pm 
Now I see what happened. You changed the picture while I was typing my response. dizzy.gif

Quark

Quark
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 5:12 pm 
Slug, didja investigate the crashing waterfalls about midway up the switchbacks? I haven't seen 'em, but you sure can hear 'em! That really is a steep, steep trail - but the steepness doesn't last long, only about a mile or so, if that. I was impressed by the size of the trees in that area, too! I was impressed by the rain forest, mossy boulders, beautiful river and creeks. The only other watercourse I have seen with such a beautiful color is Troublesome Cr. Once you get to the top of the switchbacks, one slip n' you're a goner! There isn't even any underbrush to grab onto - the trees are so dense, nothing else grows. The trees are so big around, you sure can't hope to grab onto one. I guess if you hit one, you'd stop - but you'd still be a goner.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 5:16 pm 
wooly wrote:
I compared them side by side and I cannot tell any difference. Can you see any difference Tom? Is the resolution the same in both of them? Does the question about resolution even make any sense? I am still new at this.
He he, that was the point - no visual difference in picture quality yet the filesize was reduced by a factor of 3 by using a more appropriate jpeg quality setting. If you're using a Mac and your free image editing options are limited to software like iPhoto (which doesn't offer any jpeg compression options) pony up $25 for something competent like photoshop elements.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 8:16 pm 
To Admin: My bad on the file size. I shrunk the picture down to 800x600 but didn't compress the jpeg. I just checked my software, Olympus Camedia Master, and I do have three settings, High, Standard, and Low "Quality". I will use the greatest compression in the future. To Quark: I did move off the trail a little to get a picture of one waterfall, but the moss carpet is so cool and fragile-looking, I didn't want to trample anything. Also, since there was no one else there, I had Daisy off leash, and she is not allowed off the trail or to cut switchbacks. It is amazing what you can teach a dog if you are willing to take the time. The snow areas are great because then it is OK for her to go crazy, just like snowshoers who head off trail through meadows that no sane person would walk through in the summer. The rocks on this trail are the slippery-est that I have ever encountered. On one rockfall crossing, I stepped between two rocks to avoid stepping on one, and my boot wedged in place such that it was irremovable (is that a word?). I was forced to remove my gaiters and boot, and then it still took Craig's help to get it loose! I agree with you 100% about the blue/green color of the water, especially in the "plunge-pools". This trail and the South Fork seem to get very little traffic as evidenced by sections of trail with grass or moss growing right on the tread. We didn't see a single car or person after Marblemount!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 8:42 pm 
Slugman, I'm guessing you were using the high quality setting? Feel free to use standard quality if the low setting results in too much jpeg artifacting.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 9:23 pm 
Tom, Yes, I was using "High" since it is my default and I didn't change it. I wasn't aware that I could change it other than at picture-taking time. I will do a few experiments to check quality and file size for the various settings.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 9:31 pm 
I forgot to mention the mosquitos! They were horrible. We had no protection of any kind, and they tormented us from 1,600 ft up to 2,600ft where they gave up, or maybe they just had drank their fill by then. I have at least ten bites on my back, shoulders and head. I am such a slow hiker when going uphill, that even a one-legged (one-winged?) mosquito could keep up.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 9:48 pm 
Mosquitos this time of year? confused.gif eek.gif paranoid.gif
Slugman wrote:
I will do a few experiments to check quality and file size for the various settings.
Just be careful not to overwrite your original(s). wink.gif

Quark

Quark
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 10:13 pm 
I got mosquito-bit on the Rattlesnake Ledges trail a coupla weekends ago. The trail is in danger of being taken off inventory, but it was logged out last year. There are some ugly water crossings further in; unless those are facilitated, I don't see many regular folks hiking this trail very often. Too bad; it rivals Downey Cr and Sulpher Cr for rainforest beauty, and it may meet Milk Creek's beauty.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 10:23 pm 
Yes, MOSQUITOS!! It was about 60 degrees when the sun was out, and they were swarming. I killed ten at least, so the score is even for the year so far. We didn't take a long break until we were in total snow conditions due to the little blighters. As far as the pictures, I am used to downsizing and resaving them, since I use Hotmail with its 1 meg attachment limit, and I take shots at about 1.5 meg for good blow-up potential. I really need to do some experimentation with the camera as well. I have had it over a year now, and I am still using auto focus, auto white balance, normal sharpness only, auto everything. The camera, an Olympus C-3000 Zoom, does a good job most of the time, but sometimes "auto" just won't cut it.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostThu Apr 10, 2003 10:30 am 
Off-inventory trails. The absolute best kind.

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostThu Apr 10, 2003 6:41 pm 
Sounds like a nice trail. I thought I remember reading that you get some glacier views at the end of it. Is this still true, or does the trail end before you get there?