Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Mountaineers - Mount Rainier NP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostSat Jan 20, 2007 7:13 am 
Last night my wife and I went to our annual new member orientation in Tacoma. It was good to see some old friends from our scrambles class in 2003. One of the main reasons we went, was to view a presentation given by Mike Gautier (sp?). He is the lead climbing ranger for the Mount Rainier National Park. As you know, we've had some pretty wacky weather here. Some of it so severe, it's caused several million of dollars in damage. Mike is a local celebrity here. He's saved many lives, and has had to perform many grim recoveries. He's been up that mountain over 170 times and many different routes. As well, he's covered many miles all over the park and is an avid photographer. Mike is someone I've wanted to meet for some time and last night was no disappointment. He shared with us many photos of the damage in the park, and outlined some of the repairs that would be needed. It was an awesome display of natures power but somewhat sad. I love that park and we always and every year buy a NP pass and visit her regularly throughout the year. It's sad that this is the first time in over 50 years, the park has been closed to the public. He was able to show us parts that the could only reached by helicopter. He was an excellent speaker that obviously had a gift of gab and great sense of humor. It was a pleasure to meet and talk with him. Other than the packed and standing room only clubhouse, it was great to see so many people we recognized. This year will be busy for us, we are going to help out the WTA by volunteering for their trail maintenance. One of the things I love about this state is the many mountains we are surrounded by. They are beautiful and offer many different types of recreation. For us, the mountaineers is a fine club to be part of. They've taught us how to appreciate, enjoy and be as safe as possible out there in the mountains we love so much.

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." -Helen Keller
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grasshopper

grasshopper
PostSat Jan 20, 2007 8:59 am 
Boots, Did he give any details on individual areas? Was Mowich Lake protected due to the high elevation? Will the road be passable when the snow melts? Will they convert the Carbon River Road into a hiking trail only? Will Ipsut Creek campground be available to hikers for summer? Have the picnic tables and outhouses washed away? Any air assesments done to the Wonderland Trail? Lots of work to do, I know that.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Jan 20, 2007 10:11 am 
Mike gave a slideshow to a relatively small group, Bushwhacker Climbing Club, last year. It was cool to have him in a small setting. I agree that he is a very gifted speaker/presenter, and has a brilliant sense of humor. His outlook on climbing and mistakes that people have while climbing is exactly what a rescue ranger should have - compassion, empathy, intelligence, open-mindedness. He has a live-and-let-live attitude, and will fight for that type of attitude to remain for climbers of Mt Rainier. He's a true frontier hero. He signed my book "To Quark, the love of my life*...hope to see you on the Mountain." I know that sounds cryptic and all, but I think he meant it in a nice way. *not really

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Jan 20, 2007 11:36 am 
That's the same Mike Gauthier that runs Mount Rainier Climbing. Excellent blog, and had very informative updates and photos during the flood.

domaz

domaz
PostSat Jan 20, 2007 2:46 pm 
grasshopper wrote:
Boots, Did he give any details on individual areas? Was Mowich Lake protected due to the high elevation? Will the road be passable when the snow melts? Will they convert the Carbon River Road into a hiking trail only? Will Ipsut Creek campground be available to hikers for summer? Have the picnic tables and outhouses washed away? Any air assesments done to the Wonderland Trail? Lots of work to do, I know that.
I walked some of the Carbon River road a couple weeks ago and ran into a volunteer. He said Ipsut Creek campground was largely fine and it's available to hikers now if you want to hike the road. The "road" or what's left of it is very rough in spots. My friend and I had to climb over a fallen tree that was taller than us at the base.

Don

Don
PostSat Jan 20, 2007 9:45 pm 
Admin Note: The contents of this post were lost in a database crash.

Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostSun Jan 21, 2007 6:36 am 
I'm sorry folks. I seen sun yesterday and took off on a ride. You know, they sound of a nice Harley on a cold morning? Ah forget it, you'd have to love them like I do to appreciate it. hockeygrin.gif up.gif Yeah, what Don said. There are many problems that cannot be solve with just dumping a bunch of rock and dirt then paving. Hwy 123 is going to be an engineering challenge. Maybe a bridge to span that and that won't happen soon. Federal requirements will have to be met. Allot of the backcountry trails and bridges are assumed to have been damaged or wiped out. It's a safe assumption, and won't be validated until the snow is gone. Many tributaries rerouted themselves because of the massive built up of rock, sediment and debris that have clogged them. Some places in the river, they used bulldozers to build up banks and put the river back on track. Pictures of heavy equipment in those rivers gave me an appreciation for those trying desperately to save our park. Sunshine point is gone as you know, but you have to realize, the old growth forest that was there, is simply gone. We now have new views on our drive to Longmire. Back to the rivers, they will be an ongoing challenge because of receding glaciers, more exposed ash, dirt and rock will come down in heavy rain filling them again in the future. I guess those of us who think we are not impacting our environment, had a good case made for it with his slides of the Nisqually glacier from years back to present. Seeing it's recession was a shocker. It's likely Ipsut creek road will not be repaired anytime soon but will be available to hikers and backpackers who want to walk in. There was some speculation on it's ultimate fate. I was not aware of any talk regarding Mowich, but Sunrise appears to be okay. Yeah, they rolled back opening the park, but after seeing the damage, there's too much work to be done and having visitors impacting the ability of the workers and heavy truck traffic to get back and forth would delay that work even more so their biting the bullet now in hopes of having it in better shape when opening day does come. Hope that helps.

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." -Helen Keller
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jan 21, 2007 12:04 pm 
Who else is going friday night the 26th? I can't imagine it will be easy to find anyone. I expect the place to be overflowing.

Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostSun Jan 21, 2007 12:19 pm 
Quark wrote:
Mike gave a slideshow to a relatively small group, Bushwhacker Climbing Club, last year. It was cool to have him in a small setting. I agree that he is a very gifted speaker/presenter, and has a brilliant sense of humor. His outlook on climbing and mistakes that people have while climbing is exactly what a rescue ranger should have - compassion, empathy, intelligence, open-mindedness. He has a live-and-let-live attitude, and will fight for that type of attitude to remain for climbers of Mt Rainier. He's a true frontier hero. He signed my book "To Quark, the love of my life*...hope to see you on the Mountain." I know that sounds cryptic and all, but I think he meant it in a nice way. *not really
I bought his 2nd edition. I still have the 1st. While not as endearing as yours my dear Quark, none the less, I had him sign my copy... embarassedlaugh.gif

Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostSun Jan 21, 2007 12:21 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Who else is going friday night the 26th? I can't imagine it will be easy to find anyone. I expect the place to be overflowing.
It was very crowded at our place. There's allot of people interested, and allot of information to get out. Lots of work to do and they need lots of $$$.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Jan 21, 2007 10:20 pm 
For anyone interested in visiting the Park in it's limited capacity...the Longmire Inn is open on the weekends (Friday and Saturday nights only) and you can only get in by shuttle. That's the tough part because the shuttle only goes in (from Ashford headquarters) at 2, 4 , 6 and 8 PM. And it leaves Longmire at 8 AM, 10 AM, 12 PM and 2PM. We're going in this Friday for several reasons...to give the staff there something to do, to visit my most favorite place and because for the last 15 years we have gone down there for my birthday and I didn't want to miss it this year!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostMon Jan 22, 2007 3:23 pm 
Don wrote:
The estimated times are complicated. The Park is under extreme pressure by the local businesses of Ashford to open ASAP so as not to lose tourism $$$. The original estimated dates were never realistic. Those in attendance last night learned some of the underlying facts that are creating real problems for MRNP, and why it will take much longer than the 2007 calendar year to complete many repairs. With limited budget, decisions must also be made on which repairs are worthy, and which are not. History is going to play a major part in the decision making process.
If you feel emotionally attached to MRNP (I do! agree.gif ) and can jump in and help this summer....contact Kevin Bacher, he is the MRNP Volunteer Program Manager.... Kevin_Bacher@nps.gov

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
grasshopper

grasshopper
PostMon Jan 22, 2007 4:03 pm 
Interesting to see how it's going to work out this summer. I predict Longmire/Paradise/Couger Rock will get 95% of all the attention and it will be a human zoo. Sunrise and White River are ok, couple of campsites in A loop damaged. (Side note: If anyone goes car camping at White River, get site A19, best site in the whole place.) Rest of the park, will it be hike at your own risk? Roping off certain trails because of missing bridges and foot logs? Stay away totally? They certainly don't want to be busy pulling out injured people because of the extra hazards, with everything else to deal with. Time will tell.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jan 22, 2007 7:04 pm 
I have seen reports they are going to open the Westside Road with this money. This road has been closed for many years. Does anyone know if this is true?

Art is an adventure.
Don

Don
PostMon Jan 22, 2007 7:09 pm 
It's not true. In fact, the West Side Road has seen considerable damage. The culvert is gone at the standard washout and there is a considerable x-country hike to pick the road back up on the other side of the washout.