Forum Index > Food & Grub > bread additives....?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Jan 22, 2007 5:56 pm 
I can attest to what JenJen said about Bob's bread, it is awesome. After only one loaf of it the store bought stuff is definitely inferior to what Bob makes, and he doesn't use a breadmaker, just plain Bob's hard work. biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Jan 22, 2007 6:09 pm 
Lookout Bob wrote:
thanks all for your ideas.....especial thanks to Nuclear....how much amaranth, buckwheat etc flours do I add? Right now I use %100 whole wheat and add some vital wheat gluten to help....I know those other flours don't have gluten at all so how do you adjust? confused.gif
I'd say no more than 1/4 of your flour should come from alternative grains unless you want to start getting funky, and use a bit of extra gluten to compensate, but I have no idea how much. (In my celiac-induced opinion, 'gluten is evil'. :P) Amaranth flour is light enough that it probably won't need huge modifications (it actually has more protein than wheat flour, but not the regular wheat gluten). Buckwheat flour (also more protein), is a bit denser, though, and may need a little more rising time?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jan 22, 2007 9:08 pm 
other recipe options
Bryan wrote:
I can attest to what JenJen said about Bob's bread, it is awesome. After only one loaf of it the store bought stuff is definitely inferior to what Bob makes, and he doesn't use a breadmaker, just plain Bob's hard work. biggrin.gif
If you have the time to kill, making bread by hand is a fun process with all that kneading. Some of us have action packed lives though, and bread machine gives the same results....except that darn hole in the middle. other favorites of mine: Pumpernikel Substitute a small amount of rye flour, cornmeal, cocoa and molasses in your basic whole wheat bread recipe. Poppy seed orange bread...yummmm. A couple tablespoons of poppy seeds, substitute some orange juice for some of the liquid, and add some orange zest from the peel of the orange you used. Orange Anise..... Sub a bit of orange juice, add some orange zest, and some anise seeds. Oatmeal applesauce... 1/4 cup per loaf rolled oats, applesauce, cinnamon, molasses Peanut sesame: couple tablespoons of peanut butter, brown sugar for yeast food and sesame seeds in your whole wheat recipe. Rye with onions and caraway (sub about a 1/4 cup rye flour per loaf) Swedish Limpa:sub 1/4 cup rye per loaf, add orange zest, fennel seeds, caraway seeds, orange zest and brown sugar for yeast feast. Just a few of MY favorites. NOT for those with Celiac, sorry to say. One of my daughters has celiac and an old friend of mine has that health issue, and I can sincerely sympathize with that issue.

friluftsliv
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Jan 22, 2007 9:43 pm 
Ooh, the orange anise sounds amazing!

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jan 22, 2007 9:45 pm 
My favorite bread machine loaf I make is a white flour recipe that has freeze dried shallots and dried minced celery added to it. The flavor/smell is beyond good! Last week I made it for Hoosierdaddy and Mtnwlkr for part of dinner the night before we left. They left crumbs hungry.gif I don't mind the paddle hole...because it allows me to sneak hot bread without anyone noticing I have pilfered part of the loaf. biggrin.gif Ditto on olive oil. For the most part that is all I use in our house for cooking unless it is sweet stuff. Btw, basil infused canola oil is great in herb bread!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jan 22, 2007 11:20 pm 
and homemade pizza
or basil-onion bread. Can be made with dried onions and dried basil. Dangerous to have it come out in the evening with that aroma drifting out. With olive oil of course....which indeed is THE oil to use for 99% of all cooking....except for made from scratch cinamon pancakes with real maple syrup, which requires a lighter oil... A sunday tradition for my wife and I. (I am the pancake maker too, of course) and quick homemade pizza, using the pizza dough setting, rolling it out on the pizza pan with plenty of olive oil, and healthy fresh, relatively low sodium toppings. Our favorite is Shrimp, feta, black olive pizza.....but maybe thats a whole other thread. I just pity people that don't have and use a bread machine. biggrin.gif

friluftsliv
Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Jan 22, 2007 11:29 pm 
I would like to try making bread sometime. But for now, I visit the Great Harvest Bread Company. The flour (whole wheat) is ground on-site and they have a different menu of breads each day. The asiago pesto is particularly scrumptious up.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jan 23, 2007 8:04 am 
boot up wrote:
I just pity people that don't have and use a bread machine. biggrin.gif
lol.gif My husband's 15 lb Tubby Tabby heard my old machine going one day and decided it was good for a good rub down. He was purring away, pushing on it...and yep, Tubby knocked it off the counter mad.gif Well, anyhoo, guess who got a really, really nice new one with the Sears gift cards we got for our wedding this past summer? Thanks, Tubby Tabby! biggrin.gif You got me what I really wanted...hehheh!! Btw, for those who watch sodium intake, due to my diet, I have figured out that on average I can leave out 1/3rd of the salt called for with no affect to the bread. Anymore, and well, it gets funky tasting. But for me, it has given me the ability to eat bread (commercial bread is a salt bomb basically).

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Jan 23, 2007 8:26 am 
After being raised on home made bread and often having to make it daily.. I bought a bread machine per recommendation from my mother and grandmother.."honey chile, save your self some time". I stick to the basic white and wheat.. I might have to try some of these wild recipes biggrin.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 23, 2007 8:37 am 
dried apricots
Great Harvest does indeed make great bread, and is my one exception when I don't mind "store bought" bread. They do have one or two blends that I have NOT been able to duplicate, much to my frustration, even though I seem to copy the ingredient label. Salt is mainly in the bread recipe to control the yeast. Its a balance of sugar and salt. Very little of either are actually NEEDED. Too little salt and the bread rises to fast or too much (and goes flat before baking), too MUCH salt and you tend to slow down the yeast or even kill it off a bit in the extreme. I forgot to mention one of my main staples...... Basic Whole wheat (I always add SOME white flour to my whole wheat) with chopped dried apricots, hulled sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and optional Cinnamon OR fennel. I prefer Vietnamese cinnamon. Penzeys spices has I think 4 different types of cinnamon, which is fun to figure out your preference. Cinnamon actually has a wide range of flavor.

friluftsliv
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Jan 23, 2007 9:33 am 
Boot Up said:
Quote:
just pity people that don't have and use a bread machine.
well....while I don't take pity lightly( winksmile.gif ) I do not own a bread machine. I take great delight in putting the ingredients together with my hands.....there's a certain sensation and transformation that happens with bread that is just magic....it happens when the stuff in the bowl comes together and becomes a dough....it's an indefinable moment that I treasure ( much like coming up to the top of a lookout that I haven't visited before.... agree.gif ) I think I would really miss that with a bread machine. The only plus I could see is that one could have the timer deliver bread hot and fresh for breakfast without getting up in the middle of the night. guess I'm just an old fashioned kinda guy with bread..... thanks for all the comments and suggestions.....maybe we should have a bread social!!! eek.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 23, 2007 9:48 am 
I certainly would not argue against the fun of making bread by hand through the whole process. I was a sculptor for a period of my life, so that certainly appeals to me. But how often do you actually make bread that way? I make bread at least twice a week, sometimes 3 times, and have been doing so for about 30 years or so. (about 3900 loaves of bread!....I just figured out) I wish I had the leisure time to make bread by hand that often. Of course during the years I did make it by hand, I still wasn't able to wake up to the smell of fresh baked bread. I find that to be some compensation for the tactile experience. biggrin.gif

friluftsliv
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Jan 23, 2007 10:06 am 
Boot Up....I probably make bread on average about once a week....I've got it so down that it generally only takes me about 25 minutes to put the bread together.....then an hour rise while I do other chores, then form into loaves ( 5 minutes) and then go do other things during second rise.....I don't find the time commitment onerous.....and the satisfaction is worth it.....guess I'm just not that busy a person. I respect bread makers whether manual or mechanical....just stay away from that mass manufactured store bought crap.... up.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Hikes with dogs
always well behaved

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved
PostTue Jan 23, 2007 10:21 am 
I'm late chiming in on this one...some of the ingredients listed are WOW...sounds delicious. I'm a bread machine junky because I never could get the manipulation thinkg right...(neading?) My hand made breads have never come out very well. But one bread machine batch...perfect the first time! YAY! I have not experimented much with it...my favorite recipe is "ZOOM" bread...right off the box of ZOOM cereal.

guns don't watch your back... our dogs have shown us the way out when we were lost...AND kept us warm... for us its ALWAYS a two dog night!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jan 23, 2007 3:07 pm 
The real reason I started using a bread machine after years of doing it by hand? Couple actually... 1) I lived in a really cold house. My bread would rise if it felt like it. Very frustrating! 2) I had a kid, and worked long hours. I could pop the stuff in and ignore it biggrin.gif For me, having the bread rise properly is a big issue, and the machine does it perfectly. Many times I still bake my bread in a normal pan, but let the machine do the kneading and rising! My mom taught me how to make bread when I was very young, and I never forget how to do it! always been grateful for her teaching smile.gif In college I was the only one who knew how to do it, and on my days off from work/college I would put out a couple loaves...which always seemed to disappear down the throats of moochy friends.