Forum Index > Trip Reports > White River Trail, Snoquera Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 2:24 pm 
Yesterday (Thursday) I met Catwoman in Enumclaw and we set out with our cameras for a photography hike along the White River trail. I have no idea how many miles we covered -- probably not that many but we sure had a great time and the White River trail is a great hike that can usually be done year-round. We started out from the Boy Scout Camp from Highway 410 past Greenwater and went to Snoquera Falls first, then returned to the trailhead to hike east on the White River trail, then backtracked west along 410, then crossed the suspension bridge that leads to Skookum Flats. Had an interesting experience on the bridge. I went first across the bridge so Catwoman could take a photo of me and as I walked across I could see a woman sitting on the other side of the bridge reading a map. She didn't look up but I thought she saw me as I approached so I said "Hi". She screamed "OH sh##" at the top of her lungs and that scared me and I jumped. But I also scared her! After we caught out breath we saw the humor in it and I said, "Gee, do I look that bad?" Then Catwoman crossed the bridge and we all had a good laugh. She had hiked up to that point from the start of the Skookum Flats trail from FS Road 73. By the way the trails are in good condition with just a little bit of snow left below Snoquera Falls. No flowers. Lots of beautiful moss and small streams. Here's a picture of Catwoman at Snoquera Falls. She said it was OK to send in a photo. I hope for your sake she doesn't send a picture of me. Karen
Snoquera Falls & Catwoman
Snoquera Falls & Catwoman

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 5:36 pm 
Did you get any of the whole falls? just interested in seeing what it looks like. Ice Girl

catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 10:15 pm 
And here's mine of Karen. It was a great day! I finally got to get the cobwebs off some of my gear and it felt so good to be out! We had fun.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 10:24 pm 
"OH S**T!!!!" Seriously, that's a very dramatic shot- very cool! up.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Apr 12, 2003 1:31 am 
Good grief! That is one w-i-d-e angle lens. The view from the base of the falls is nice and dramatic, but, even though the falls are 95% vertical, the view from the base does have that nasty forshortening effect (keep in mind tha this thing is 400+ feet tall). I've been to the base once, when it was practically dry, so maybe that was part of it. Anyhoo...the view from 410 is quite impressive as well. Snoquera Falls from Highway 410

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSat Apr 12, 2003 8:32 am 
I like the images taken a ways back so much too--it really is one of the prettiest falls around that is so easy to get to see. But boy I had fun that day a few years ago getting soaked at the bottom of the falls using a 17mm lens and trying to "take a photo on tripod, dry the camera lens off...repeat back and forth until I hoped I had a photo...and dry out the gear at home that night".

catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Apr 12, 2003 10:19 am 
Yeah, Alan. I've come to the conclusion that if I want to get that really cool whispy water effect with a slow shutter speed, that I'm going to have to lug a tripod with me. frown.gif I just dread that.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Apr 12, 2003 10:44 am 
Tripod? Just looking at all of Karen's photo gear scares me. wink.gif Unfortunately, my 10D purchase fell thru but when I get one it will have an image stabilized lens to minimize the need to carry a tripod.

catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Apr 12, 2003 10:49 am 
That would be nice! Here's a pic I took of the nice moss-blanketed forest.

Karen

Karen
PostSat Apr 12, 2003 8:06 pm 
Here's another photo from the Snoquera Falls vicinity
Actually, this is Buck Creek near the suspension bridge. The Buck Creek trail is just a skosh east of Camp Sheppard and is presently not signed. It's easy to find, though. Walk downhill about 1/8 of a mile and you'll come to the suspension bridge over the White River. The trail on the other side of the river is the Skookum Flats trail. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder